Wide awake in america ep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfire83

Babyface
What was the reasoning behind the release of this ep? I like it alot but it just seem odd to me. They had just released Under a Bloody Red Sky a little while before it. Though Bad is great on it.

But they said U2 had changed these days from the wholesome boys they were before!

Yes the wide awake in america ep really capitalized off Live Aid success.

Yahweh said:
Yes the wide awake in america ep really capitalized off Live Aid success.

Especially considering that the EP was apparently released in May 1985 (so about 2 months before Live Aid).

If I remember correctly, the Unforgettable Fire single was not released in the US but as imports started charting so well, U2 released WAIA there and then made it a worldwide release when imports of it started charting in other countries.

Or it might be that the UF single wasn't released in the UK, I'm not sure. But I think that's how it goes, that UF imports charted so well somewhere that WAIA was released and then when WAIA itself charted in yet other places, it became a worldwide release.

From Carter Alan's book, Outside is America, U2 in the U.S.:

Island didn't feel confident that there was another potential single on the album and scrapped plans to release one, although the title track would come out as a single in Europe.... As soon as the 1985 American tour concluded in early May, U2 released a four-song EP... it was produced for the American market, and also for Japan, and it became a highly demanded import in the U.K. and Europe...WAIA was the American companion to a European release of the "The Unforgettable Fire" single...

WAIA and TUF Single are cut from the same cloth. The only track on WAIA that doesn't appear on some form of the TUF single is the live cut of Bad.

What's interesting is that in the documentary of the making of the Unforgettable Fire album that was ORIGINALLY aired on MTV (not the version they later put for sale on VHS), you hear them working on "3 Sunrises" almost as much as "Pride."

I don't know -- I guess for 20 years I've just been assuming that they released it because they knew I needed something to tide me over between UF and JT.... :huh:

Back
Top Bottom