Wicked Weakest song from each wicked album...and stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I'm interested to know what people would consider the "weakest" chain link song for each album. The song that does not belong, that threatens the album as a whole.

BOY - "A Day without me"
- This was hard, because I really think all of the songs on this album fit into the whole. This one's just a little off. Just a little.

OCTOBER - "Is that All?"
- Unnecessary filler. I give this a wicked wicked weak score.

WAR - "Red Light"
- This one does not fit the theme of WAR. Weak lyrics, and a mushy melody.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - None. No wicked words to say.

THE JOSHUA TREE - "Trip through your wires"
- I like this song and I think it fits, but its still weaker than the rest. That's the only reason I chose this one. A good song, but it doesn't match the power of the rest.

RATTLE & HUM - "Van Dieman's Land"
- I like it in the movie, but for the album purpose it loses its luster. The pictures of Ireland during the song in the film capture the song better than the lyrics themselves. So...weak lyrics. Sorry Edge.

ACHTUNG BABY - "Acrobat"
-I know I will get smashed for this. But I don't see the beauty of this song. The riff is ordinary. Lyrics are good, though. In fact I like the demo version of this song rather than the studio one. The demo version on the outtakes album is much more raw, and it truly rocks. The studio version is suffocated as the sound is not able to breathe freely.

ZOOROPA - "Some days are better than Others"
-Pointless song. Pointless writing. This song is wicked filler for Zooropa. Basically its...dumb. All the other songs on this album are highly interesting, except for this one.

POP - "Miami"
-This one is sort of lazy. It seems rushed. New York is a better "town" song.

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - None. I think they all fit. The only one I could see is "Wild Honey" But then I think its a fun song. You could say "Grace" is weak, but then again it closes the album beautifully. This is up in the air for discussion.

Have fun.

For every album...NONE. For me, there's no "weakest" because that implies mediocrity and/or suckiness (I know...Really scientific term, right? :lol:). Anyway...:happy:

Boy : shadows and tall trees
October : everything except Gloria
War : Refugee
UF : elvis presley and america
joshua tree : exit
rattle and hum : hawkmoon 269
achtung baby : ultraviolet ( light my way )
zooropa : some days are better than others
pop : mofo
all that you can't leave behind : elevation, peace on earth , when i look at the world , wild honewy ,

Boy - Shadows and Tall Trees doesn't do much for me.

October - Is That All? The title kind of sums up my feelings about this song.

War - Can't choose a weak link here, I love them all.

The Unforgettable Fire - Fourth of July or Elvis Presley and America. They aren't that bad, but for the life of me I don't know why the guys didn't make these two songs b-sides and put Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling on the album instead.

The Joshua Tree - See War.

Rattle and Hum - All Along the Watch Tower. U2's version just seems to unecessary after the Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix versions. I love their rockin' version of Helter Skelter though, so go figure.

Achtung Baby - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? It just doesn't measure up to the rest of this brilliant album.

Zooropa - Some Days Are Better Than Others. Yeah, and some U2 songs are better than others. I do like the line "Some days you wake up in the Army/and some days it's the enemy" though.

Pop - Miami.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - Stuck in a Moment has always annoyed me. Some of the lyrics are kind of chiched and preachy.

pinkfloyd said:
Boy : shadows and tall trees
October : everything except Gloria
War : Refugee
UF : elvis presley and america
joshua tree : exit
rattle and hum : hawkmoon 269
achtung baby : ultraviolet ( light my way )
zooropa : some days are better than others
pop : mofo
all that you can't leave behind : elevation, peace on earth , when i look at the world , wild honewy ,

HAHAHA! With the possible exception of a song or two on October, and the exception of "some days are better than others," I love every single song on your list. Especially Shadows and Tall Trees. Viva U2 fans!

Ugh...am not even going to contribute to this thread...it'll probably start more arguments around here. As if we don't have enough of those. :sexywink:

Boy - In to the Heart *snooore* I don't really like The Ocean, either.

October - Scarlet

War - Red Light *no me gusta*

UF - 4th of July

JT - Red Hill Mining Town

RH - Angel of Harlem, Love Rescue Me, When Love Comes to Town. These three just don't sound like U2.

AB - Love is Blindness. Okay, I just can't like Love is Blindness, I mean I understand the disjointed incompleteness of it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Zooropa - The Wanderer

Pop - Miami *shudders*

ATYCLB - Stuck in a god damn Moment. I HATE this song. The chorus is akward at best. Officially over-played. And then there's Grace...*snooore*

Last edited:
Boy - Into the Heart
October - Scarlet
War - Red Light
UF - Elvis Presley and America
JT - Red Hill Mining Town (I like it, but it is my least fav, all songs on JT are good)
RH - Love Rescue Me (it's just too country sounding for me)
AB - Until the End of the World (same reason as JT)
Zooropa - Haven't had this very long but probably the Wanderer...maybe Lemon.. Lemon is starting to grow on me a little though
Pop - Miami
ATYCLB - When I look at the World

Boy : Into the Heart (An Cat Dubh is cool, but it gets old when you get to Into the Heart)

October : Scarlet (beautiful melody, but no real lyrics)

War : Red Light

UF : Fourth of July

Joshua Tree : Trip Through Year Wires (too upbeat, breaks the mood)

Rattle and Hum : Love Rescue Me

Achtung Baby : a perfect album, but if I could remove one song it would be So Cruel

Zooropa : The Wanderer

Pop : Miami

ATYCLB : Grace

Boy: Into the Heart
October: Scarlet
War: Surrender (not a bad song, but the worst on the album)
Unforgettable Fire: 4th of July
Joshua Tree: Trip Through Your Wires (not a bad song...)
Rattle & Hum: Freedom for My People (not even U2)
Achtung Baby: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Zooropa: Dirty Day
Pop: If You Wear That Velvet Dress
ATYCLB: When I Look At The World

tackleberry said:

ACHTUNG BABY - "Acrobat"
-I know I will get smashed for this. But I don't see the beauty of this song. The riff is ordinary. Lyrics are good, though. In fact I like the demo version of this song rather than the studio one. The demo version on the outtakes album is much more raw, and it truly rocks. The studio version is suffocated as the sound is not able to breathe freely.

Have fun.

weakest link on AB is WGRYWH or EBTTRT or zoo station or so cruel or trying to throw... ACROBAT is clearly the strongest song on that album along with ONE

acroman

Re: Re: Wicked Weakest song from each wicked album...and stuff

AcrobatMan said:

weakest link on AB is WGRYWH or EBTTRT or zoo station or so cruel or trying to throw... ACROBAT is clearly the strongest song on that album along with ONE

acroman

:barf: This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I wanted to start out by saying, I love this thread!
I love seeing everyone's different opinions on the albums!!!
Good Idea!!!!

ILuvLarryMullen said:

AB - Until the End of the World (same reason as JT)
Zooropa - Haven't had this very long but probably the Wanderer...maybe Lemon.. Lemon is starting to grow on me a little though

Ok, I agreed with all of your other choices but these!
I :heart: Until the End of the World. Well, maybe not the entire song, but I love the part where Bono sings "love, love , love, ..." and then then end where he's just making noises:scratch: with the music ( I don't know how to explain it, I guess I'll just say the end of the song)

On the Wanderer, I'll give it to you that the music itself is boring, but I like the lyrics, and well, Johnny Cash:D

And Lemon, hahah, what can I say, It's Lemony-goodness!

That's just my opinion though :D :D

Last edited:
Boy: An Cat Dubh
October: Is That All?
War: Surrender
Unforgettable Fire: Elvis Presley and America
Joshua Tree: Exit
Rattle and Hum: God Part II
Achtung Baby: Love is Blindness
Zooropa: The Wanderer
Pop: If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Miami, Mofo (tie)
All That You Can't Leave Behind: When I Look At the World

Back
Top Bottom