Wich staple songs would you like to see get the chop on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One
Pride

Those are the only two that REALLY bug me.

But beyond that, I do want the new tour to be heavy on the new songs. 9-10 off the new album a night would be awesome!!!!

gman said:
I wouldnt like to see songs dropped so much as just a wider roataion of songs.Anticipated regular songs I would like to see rotated for others are

agreed, if BTBS was played every few shows they should keep it.

Although PRIDE they should just not play for the entire tour :)

Well here is some:

Pride
ISHFWILF
BTBS
WOWY
One

That's a few to start with. Now give those couple a rest for the next tour and bring in some AB - Zooropa - POP stuff instead.

Bring back Please, Gone, Discotheque, Stay, Dirty Day, Numb, Ultraviolet, HMTMKMKM etc etc.

Basically, y'all want to see dropped all the U2 songs that were hit singles, that have strong meanings, that are amongst U2's most important songs and that the casual fans (that assist 1 concert per-tour... not diehards like us, that even collect bootlegs) are expecting to be played.

Aygo said:
Basically, y'all want to see dropped all the U2 songs that were hit singles, that have strong meanings, that are amongst U2's most important songs and that the casual fans (that assist 1 concert per-tour... not diehards like us, that even collect bootlegs) are expecting to be played.

Not as such, personally.

If they retool the songs they've been playing for ages then i openly invite them to carry on.

The problem is wheeling out the same song in the same style every night, every tour...

Aygo said:

I want to see them have faith in their new material instead of their greatest hits. That's how they'll go somewhere they've never been before.

Aygo said:

You draw the funniest implications sometimes, don't you? I don't think anybody has said U2 should just totally discard all of their hits. Most people are only listing 3-5 songs, with Pride, One, and the non-hit Bullet the most prevalent. U2 have an absolute swathe of hits, and even if every song mentioned in this thread were chucked out, they would still have plenty to use to satisfy even the casual fans.

Axver said:

You draw the funniest implications sometimes, don't you? I don't think anybody has said U2 should just totally discard all of their hits. Most people are only listing 3-5 songs, with Pride, One, and the non-hit Bullet the most prevalent. U2 have an absolute swathe of hits, and even if every song mentioned in this thread were chucked out, they would still have plenty to use to satisfy even the casual fans.

:blahblah: :blahblah: Yeah, okay...

I've read in this thread: Pride, BTBS, One, BD, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Elevation and even Streets.

Aren't these many of U2's signature songs that the non-diehard casual fans expect to find in the show? They're not tired of these songs as many of us are.
These casual fans are much much much more than the old-folks that come whinning for everything the band does in this forum, so: they win.

I don't mind with the band playing these songs. Even some of these seem not to be 100% regular ones. Plus, the band seem to enjoy playing it and not having problems with it. If they did, U2 would've had already the balls to drop these songs from the setlists as they have already did in the past with SBS, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Desire, MW, Stuck In A Moment, AIWIY, etc etc etc...

Swan269 said:
lose bullet and pride

pride is the only song where I really love it more on the album then doing it live.....I haven't really figured out why.....

the rest of the forum feels the same way mate, trust me.

However, if I go to a show, I still want to hear them play Pride while I'm there. The show that I went to last year, Melbourne 1, they played Pride and it was definitely one of the major highlights.

I just wish they'd drop Bullet, preferably for Please or Dirty Day.

And if they're going to play One like they did on Vertigo, then definitely drop it, even though I still LOVED it when they lpayed it at melb.

Aygo said:
I've read in this thread: Pride, BTBS, One, BD, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Elevation and even Streets.

And those are all of U2's hits?

Now, I'm not going to go through this thread and read every single post to confirm the following haven't been mentioned, but I don't see many people calling for songs like I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Bad, Desire (full electric version), Angel Of Harlem, All I Want Is You, Until The End Of The World, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than The Real Thing, or Miss Sarajevo to be dropped. Play all of those in one show and I think any casual fan would be pretty bloody satisfied. I think people are mainly calling for songs to be ditched not because they're hits, but because U2 just don't play them very well live any more - Pride being the most glaring example.

And then there's all the Best Of songs that aren't staples. Considering we tend to use those releases, targeted at casual fans, as a reasonable benchmark for what they would know and buy, then add stuff like The Unforgettable Fire, Sweetest Thing, When Love Comes To Town, Stay, Gone, etc. to the setlist. They'd go home happy even without One or ISHFWILF.

I think this whole idea that casual fans only know and enjoy the big hits is complete nonsense anyway. One person I know who is quite a casual fan was most excited to hear, yes, An Cat Dubh. I know others who were really enthused for Gloria, Party Girl, and One Tree Hill, and one was surprised that U2 did not play, of all songs, Silver And Gold. I think the casual fan stereotype that you and others on Interference promote to justify static greatest hits setlists is downright wrong - not to mention offensive to the casual fans in question.

Id like to keep every staple song, but ONLY if they pull it together...anything before popmart.. elevation (besides streets/bad) and vertigo tours i would snippet some songs because of the sound..

My "please give those tunes a rest" Top 10
(in chronological order):

1. I Will Follow
(Though played fine in 2001 & 2005/06 – it is one of the real staples in U2's tours from the very early days: It should be played, but only occasionally and make room for another early tune on that spot)

2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
(Though played fine in 2001 & 2005/06 – its hasn't been missed so much in '89/'90 or the first '97 legs. Then there were also great U2 shows possible without this old war-horse, that – let us face it – has become more and more the "we shout the chorus out and drink our beer" mass pleaser than the protest song, this tune is. The message is somewhat lost in the process. If U2 give it a rest, they might find another approach to it, playing it again after the next tour – but doing the tune more justice then instead of only being one of the 'Greatest Hits', they "have" to play. Because Sunday is one of their best songs, too, and shouldn't be perfunctory ...)

3. New Year's Day
(Hm, could be a great one when played with speed & sould as on Vertigo's spectacular 5th leg in Melbourne, but it could also be switched with other "Greatest Hits". It shouldn't be a "have to" song, too).

4. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
(Without a doubt a masterpiece, a rocker, one of the all time classics guitar riffs – but, but: U2 haven't done this song any justice during the last tours. I've listened to a few versions, that nailed it the way it has been long ago. On the other hand, there was the idea to use it as a kind of cut short element for medley-kind of parts in the show. I do hate these truncated versions of '97/'98 and in 2005/06 – there are no final chorusses, not the building up of the whole band with audience on the last monumental notes. Either play it hard, fast paced and complete – and switch it with, let's say NYD – from night to night, or it has to go ...)

5. With Or Without You (Yes, folks!)
(Although there were some noticable versions on the last tour – just listen to Melbourne I – this tune has had the saddest evolution in U2's live circus. Being a sonic revolution with lyrics, sung from the heart, about despair, bitterness and addiction – it has lost it's complete coda and ending with the "Shine Like Stars" or "Love Will Tear Us Apart" improvisations and the important subtle acoustic guitar, played by Bono, somewhere during the ZOO TV days. Then it became an only sing along mass pleaser, a show element, the part where you have ladies in your arm instead of giving the bittersweet tune all, that is in there. Throw this now only perfunctory persiflage out . It's enough to let the crowd belt out "All I Want Is You - ouh" – one of these is enough ...)

6. Bullet The Blue Sky
(With Bono having become less and less the aggressive stage accuser, and more and more the "friend" of the powerful this once breath taking "shout at the world" (from '87 until the top of '93) is now cut short, has nearly lost its fire. Just stop it now – because this tune is about El Salvador, is about aggressors, is about violence, about hate Either name the guilty ones, or leave it. "Bullet" is not about multi-perspective looks on presidents or war, it is about a position. Bono now doesn't stand for this "black or white" attitude anymore. Fine, but then leave this "black or white" prayer out of the setlists ...)

7. Until The End Of The World
(Listen to a '92 version, to the somewhat lamer '97 versions, to the much worse version in '01 and to the low-points of 2005/06. Bono is speaking the lyrics, not having the rhyme anymore, when once he was shouthing this guitar-thunderstorm out, when once you were blown away by the power, now it has become an echo of former versions. Judas & Jesus – what a song, what a topic – but all we have now is bul fight imitations and nostalgia. Out!)

8. Beautiful Day
(Sadly thought to be a U2 "comeback" song and a must staple, this tune is fine – but not that fine, to re-play it night after night in the same way, the same style, with the same "spontaneous" ending. I think, this tune should be played from time to time on the tour, because it means a lot to especially younger fans. But I promise, that the intensity of a U2 show would be lost, if this tune is not played. So, it is not a must all. Why not leave it out or played sometimes, when it has been played from 2001 until today?)

9./10. Some of you might expect me to mention "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "One", but I won't do this. These are the real must-songs in the show standing for the best albums, U2 have made yet, standing for the 80ies and 90ies. Songs that mean so much for generations of U2 fans now – still creating magical atmosphere, when played live. Community songs, you might call them. Without them, U2 concerts might not be the same. But I have a slight comment: No more speeches please before "One", that last more than 2 other songs, that could be played in the same time, that Bono needs for his words. And "One" is a song, that might be played on differents spots and in other arrangements – it doesn't have to be the show's ending or in the encore. Played on spot #5 during ZOO TV was perfect ...

Streets should never be taken out of their set.

However, if they repeat the same version as last tour, then maybe....the whole "Africa" thing and no red lights and house lights on annoyed me.

I love Beautiful Day...i think another tour of it nightly and i might get bored with it.

I Will follow I can definetly see, but the thing is, I've been to like 10 u2 shows and have NEVER seen it live. Crazy....so I want to hear it; so I hope they keep it in there :)

sunday bloody sunday (unless they give it the true power of the full band like back in the good ol days)

bullet (it sucks im sick of having to skip it on every dvd and concert on my ipod)

stuck in a moment

streets (unless they play it like zootv style)

running to stand still (lost its touch after zootv)

i will follow (getting old, still good but getting sick of it)

until the end of the world

Axver said:

And those are all of U2's hits?

Now, I'm not going to go through this thread and read every single post to confirm the following haven't been mentioned, but I don't see many people calling for songs like I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Bad, Desire (full electric version), Angel Of Harlem, All I Want Is You, Until The End Of The World, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than The Real Thing, or Miss Sarajevo to be dropped. Play all of those in one show and I think any casual fan would be pretty bloody satisfied. I think people are mainly calling for songs to be ditched not because they're hits, but because U2 just don't play them very well live any more - Pride being the most glaring example.

And then there's all the Best Of songs that aren't staples. Considering we tend to use those releases, targeted at casual fans, as a reasonable benchmark for what they would know and buy, then add stuff like The Unforgettable Fire, Sweetest Thing, When Love Comes To Town, Stay, Gone, etc. to the setlist. They'd go home happy even without One or ISHFWILF.

I think this whole idea that casual fans only know and enjoy the big hits is complete nonsense anyway. One person I know who is quite a casual fan was most excited to hear, yes, An Cat Dubh. I know others who were really enthused for Gloria, Party Girl, and One Tree Hill, and one was surprised that U2 did not play, of all songs, Silver And Gold. I think the casual fan stereotype that you and others on Interference promote to justify static greatest hits setlists is downright wrong - not to mention offensive to the casual fans in question.

:applaud: :bow:

U2 have so many smash hits that any radio-owning buffoon can go to a concert and hear at least 6 old songs that they know--and probably know most of the words to. Add in the expected 6 or so songs from the new album, and you have about half the setlist right there. If someone goes to a U2 show and can sing along to half the setlist and then gets to see the glory of a live U2 show for the rest of the setlist---and then walks away saying, "I can't believe they didn't play Bullet the Blue Sky"----should be dragged in the street and covered in dry ice.

The band's been around for 30 years. To expect that even casual fans can only recognize 5 songs---or to appease those who do---is just silly.

i would be happy if they dropped pride and even streets ..
one was on my list untill i heard it in melb and i sobbed my lil heart out i was suprised how much it touched me . just less bloody talking beforehand !

SBS and bullet could be rotated but they were damm good ...

would LOVE to hear dirty day :drool: and AIWIY , bad and RTSS brought back. and the elctric co :combust:

then again when im at a u2 show its as close to heaven as i will ever get, so i don't care what they play , im too busy trying not to implode or die from sensory overload.

Last edited:
With or Without You. Every tour I hope they cut it but they don't. Because it was such a big hit, they play it so late in the set, where it's more of a buzzkill than anything.

I understand the frustration with Pride, but I think most of that is due to how Edge sets his guitar. It's so thin and weak for that song. Nothing like the wall of sound that's on the record.

Taking out Streets will never happen. Nor should it.
Never liked the song much on record, but it's now the cornerstone of every live show.

mysterious_jen said:
i would be happy if they dropped pride and even streets ..
one was on my list untill i heard it in melb and i sobbed my lil heart out i was suprised how much it touched me . just less bloody talking beforehand !

SBS and bullet could be rotated but they were damm good ...

would LOVE to hear dirty day :drool: and AIWIY , bad and RTSS brought back. and the elctric co :combust:

then again when im at a u2 show its as close to heaven as i will ever get, so i don't care what they play , im too busy trying not to implode or die from sensory overload.

that's exactly what i felt jen, we always complain about songs, but in reality when you're there, i couldn't care waht they play really.

man i will DIE if i hear ELECtric Co live.

Axver said:

agree 100%. plus, when u2 broke out with "electric co" at their shows, 1/2 the people were like "what the F are they playing?"

but by the end of the song, everyone was loving it and getting into it.

u2 should experiment more at their shows with these kind of songs.

RavenBlue said:
I'd prefer they didn't cut any until I get to my first show, thank you :wink:
I think that is a fair point

to be quite honest I think that if you don't listen to the bootlegs and only watch the odd dvd once in a while you don't really give a toss what they'll be playing
you'd probably be even peeing your pants in excitement getting to sing along to Pride etc
I do

I loved hearing a lot of the songs that have been thrown out in this thread as songs to ditch, but I've heard them 5-6 times from going to 6 shows (even if I didn't know that UTEOTW was a tired version of its former self).

I want them to ditch enough of the staples to add in some real treasures, like Electrical Storm which I think would be transcendent live. Give me Electrical Storm, Stay, Gone, Dirty Day, One Tree Hill, Please, Staring at the Sun, Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, A Sort of Homecoming!!

Swap Running to Stand Still for Red Hill Mining Town most nights, figure out how to play So Cruel live....

Bring back the Bad/All I Want Is You combo (which I was too young to have heard live) and segue it right into Streets (which is the only "regular" I think they should keep every night.

There are some songs from Vertigo I could do with never hearing live again: Love and Peace Or Else, All Because of You, Yahweh. Others, I'd like to see occasionally, like Miracle Drug, or Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (which would be good in alternation with Stuck In A Moment).

I do not want Vertigo/City of Blinding Lights to become the new Beautiful Day/Elevation - sure, they get the crowd up, but god are they boring night after night in the same spots and the same order. What about God Part II instead?

I could do with switching out Elevation and hearing more of Walk On, Kite, a stronger In A Little While - but not all of them and not every night.

But I wouldn't drop I Will Follow or New Year's Day, I'd alternate those two. Make Sunday Bloody Sunday a sometimes song and Larry's wrists will be grateful.

Swap Mysterious Ways for If You Wear That Velvet Dress or Angel of Harlem. Bring out Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and All I Want Is You more than With or Without You.

Ditch One. It's also boring. I loved it every time I saw it, but when I think about what I could be seeing in its place....

Basically I'd like to see a tour styled like Love Town. I don't know much about Love Town besides reading set lists and listening to boots, so somebody like Axver may correct me, but that tour had like 6 different opening songs, and even the different opening sequences got shaken up further into the setlist. They played some of the same songs every night but in a different order, which I think would be much more fun as a concertgoer it because of the element of surprise.

I guess for me a good tour would have a low correlation of similar setlists - you wouldn't have any two concerts with all the same songs, or even 90-95% of the same songs, which was what I bet Vertigo had if somebody put a mathematical model to it. So you'd have more variety of songs, but you'd also have the order shaken up. They should be able to figure out an innovative way to do this and still have their fancy flashy (and fun!) lights and displays. My favorite moments of my Vertigo concerts were the 3rd encore in Boston on 12/4, because that was truly spontaneous, and on 5/26 when Bono added Out of Control to the setlist by running back from the elipse shouting at the others ("Adam Clayton Adam Clayton Adam Clayton") to stop whatever they were playing and throw in the unexpected if rough gem. So if they would just loosen up the production so that more sponteneity was built into the show, so that the band could adjust to the crowd and jam, so that if you went to two shows in a row you'd see almost half new songs and a different order, so that you couldn't lip sync to the transitions between songs (and I don't mind the speeches, I'd just prefer ad libbed phone calls to recited words)....now THAT would be amazing. But it's definitely not going to happen.

One- As long as Bono don't call me and tell me that he will sing falsetto part at the end of the song like on Zoo TV

Bullet The Blue Sky- It had balls, but no longer...

Pride- Although Bono does this song justice again, it's only him...
they need to play it in original tune, as on album, or drop it

Zoo Station- Vertigo versions were dauncy comparing to Zoo TV
in terms of Larry's drums, he destroyed this song
on last tour...

Salome said:
I think that is a fair point

to be quite honest I think that if you don't listen to the bootlegs and only watch the odd dvd once in a while you don't really give a toss what they'll be playing
you'd probably be even peeing your pants in excitement getting to sing along to Pride etc
I do

This is the perfect justification for what I've been saying. Not many people own several bootlegs loke many of us here.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
My "please give those tunes a rest" Top 10
(in chronological order):
3. New Year's Day
(Hm, could be a great one when played with speed & sould as on Vertigo's spectacular 5th leg in Melbourne, but it could also be switched with other "Greatest Hits". It shouldn't be a "have to" song, too).

Ahem, guilty. Actually I did it – yes!

Back
Top Bottom