Why Zooropa is genius...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gherman said:
Sounds plastic like a Tonka toy.

I've never listened to plastic or a Tonka toy, but I doubt it sounds like Zooropa. :eyebrow:

Joshua Tree sounds like wood. :yes:

Pop sounds like vaseline. :drool:

I'll let my former avatar and signature speak for themselves:

zooropaav.png
zooropasig.png

PURPLE SPACE CRACK. Particularly the title track, but the whole album really :drool:

I got so addicted to Zooropa when I first got it. I was listening to it like constantly, I couldn't stop. Purple space crack indeed :drool:

From that first bit of Zooropa static all the way through that crazy alarm at the end of the album :drool:

I've personally never liked it. I think Zooropa, Stay, and The First Time are excellent, and that Dirty Day improved to good live, but other than that, it doesn't do it for me. DGPFYCC was pretty good live too. The other five tracks, to me, give you nothing.

xaviMF22 said:
zooropa has become my favorite U2 album

A person after my own heart. Of course, my hubby thinks I'm a nutjob and that Zooropa was proof that U2 could put crap on a CD and sell it. To me, proof was HTDAAB. (It has its moments, but it just does nothing for me as a whole.)

a_young_old_fan said:

A person after my own heart. Of course, my hubby thinks I'm a nutjob and that Zooropa was proof that U2 could put crap on a CD and sell it. To me, proof was HTDAAB. (It has its moments, but it just does nothing for me as a whole.)

I agree with your husband on the "proof that U2 could put crap on a CD and sell it."

U2 packaged shit in such a great way it fooled people into thinking its a great album:huh:

a_young_old_fan said:

that Zooropa was proof that U2 could put crap on a CD and sell it. To me, proof was HTDAAB. (It has its moments, but it just does nothing for me as a whole.)

I :heart: ya

I only like about half of the album, the rest I cannot stand.
Though I have to say that Stay and First Time are probably among my all time favorites.
But the Wanderer, another great tune, I prefer with Bono on vocals.
The rest has never grown on me.

gherman said:

I agree with your husband on the "proof that U2 could put crap on a CD and sell it."

U2 packaged shit in such a great way it fooled people into thinking its a great album:huh:

U2 packaged great material so well that those fools actually thought it was good. :hyper:

rihannsu said:
For me Zooropa was hard to get into at first until I listened to it at higher volume than I usually use. All of a sudden it was this beautiful rich masterpiece of music for me. It is definitely one of my favorites. I personally don't rank U2 albums because they all appeal to me in different ways.

Dana

I recently got in to Zooropa also, after it collected dust on my shelf for a while.
While loading my new IPOD, I suddenly also became captivated by the layers on the songs and listening at a high volume helped.
Just like MOFO on POP, you cannot listen to that song without blasting it, otherwise it's lost.
:)
I love DGPFYCC and SDABTO

"I love the chours on SDABTO and the bass line. They lyrics make me happy. I think it's the precursor to Beautiful Day :)

"Some days you hear a voice taking you to another place"...

Take me to that other place... IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY :)

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:

I recently got in to Zooropa also, after it collected dust on my shelf for a while.
While loading my new IPOD, I suddenly also became captivated by the layers on the songs and listening at a high volume helped.
Just like MOFO on POP, you cannot listen to that song without blasting it, otherwise it's lost.
:)
I love DGPFYCC and SDABTO

"I love the chours on SDABTO and the bass line. They lyrics make me happy. I think it's the precursor to Beautiful Day :)

"Some days you hear a voice taking you to another place"...

Take me to that other place... IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY :)

:heart: I can't say enough wonderful things about SDABTO. Catchy, humorous, musically creative. I'll never understand what everyone has against it. :huh:

Zooropa... I was quite lukewarm to it when I purchased it. But now, even though I have only had it probably five or six months, I really really enjoy it. Zooropa is our Bohemian Rhapsody in a way, with the sudden changes is song direction, at the 2:20 and 3:58 minute marks. Babyface I have always liked, Lemon is one of my favourite songs now, and Some Days just makes me smile. It is really good, the lyrical content, the humour, the chorus, the delievery....

I'm just wondering...did the purple come off of the CD for anyone else? I had 3 separate copies that had the purple basically melt. It was the death of the 1-year warranty at my local record shop. Other than that, it was genius, but I didn't get one that lasted until the fourth one.

I've had my CD for years and the purple is still fine... It's been in and out of many CD players too. Bizarre that yours has melted off!

guill said:

Get your head out of the mud baby

Boy I've tried. I just can't get into this album. I've tried to tell myself I love the album, then after 2 spins I'm tired of it. Then I listen to it again after 6 months thinking may be I'll like it this time. But no:(

^^Then just forget it... If you don't like you don't like. You can't teach yourself how to like something. And it's not a crime. For example I don't like Rattle & Hum except for three songs.

But Zooropa... I love it :D

Just love it!!
For those who criticize it, try to give them some slack.
They made this in 12 weeks while touring in the Zoo TV monster.
I think they did a great job of capturing the madness they were going through. Not many bands have been able to do this in a way like Zooropa was done.
Plus considering they were the biggest band on earth at the time, to do something so bizzare like this was quite ballsy.

Yeah, you can´t compare it to AB or JT (or in my opinion UF), but it still stands as a damn good set of songs and quite fun while your at it.

Back
Top Bottom