Why You Shouldn't Blame U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmattyh

Acrobat
It turns out U2.com's Zootopia has some worthwhile discussion afterall. I found this post online there, and thought it worth sharing. It certainly helped to diffuse my anger; I hope it does the same to you as well.

"An Open Letter To U2, Principle Management, & U2 fans:

Now, you might call me crazy, but I'm just going to run with this, so bear with me.

In Nov. of 2004 Bono spoke with XFM regarding the stolen CD, "Bootlegs are fine if you're making a few of them for your friends I've no problem with that but if its big business, bad ass crime, I don't think you want to be a part of that - and that's what this is. We're dealing with some nasty people and I don't think you should be paying for their summer holiday in Ibiza."

There was also mention of Eminem's leaked album and the relationship both acts have with Interscope, "Same person we think," he explained, "It's never nice to have a little thief in charge of your release campaign for your new album, however it (sic) up there."

So, in Nov. of 2004 U2 and Crew already knew there was a threat to their new album release's campaign. Such campaigns include promotions, two of which are websites and tours. So, take a wild guess where I'm headed.

I do not blame U2 or PM. I believe that not only were we, the fans, scammed, but also U2.

I'll tell you why... I phoned PM in New York and spoke with a lovely young lady. Instead of screaming and yelling, I remained calm and simply asked her a few questions without lodging any complaints. One of the questions I asked was, "Are U2 and PM aware of what has happened with the presale and how few fan club members were able to get GA tickets, yet there are several available on eBay for exorbitant prices?" I just wanted to know if they knew and I needed to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Her reply was, "Yes, U2 and PM are aware..." and somewhere in her words, I just felt, I knew instantly that U2 and PM did not know this was going to happen. They did not do this to us. It was done to them and via them to us.

Now, I know naysayers may say, "Well, how could they not know?" Or, "U2 has always prided themselves on overseeing all facets of the U2 enterprise." Well, my fellow fans, even U2 can be lied to.

I've read several theories on several boards as to what actually occurred. There's the Ticketmaster version claiming 1) they were unprepared for so many people logging on at once and 2) that we were at fault for not having cookie or firewall settings correctly adjusted for their site. There's the 'hackers created a key-gen to get pass codes' version and the 'scalpers (touts) bought several memberships to buy up all the good tickets on several computers, etc.' version.

But none of these felt right, so I investigated further and discovered that Ticketmaster has been investigated and that some of the findings included 'Unacknowledged Methods,' such as employees skimming off the top and selling to ticket brokers, as well as 'Corrupt Practices,' such as brokers "paying illegal and substantial bribes (premiums over the face price of the ticket) to various persons who have control over tickets at the original point of sale...(such as employees of Ticketmaster...)."

After reading some more, I sat back and asked myself what I usually ask when faced with a mystery and several options, "What's the simplest solution?" (As inspired by Occam's Razor.)

Clearly, such options as hackers generating enough pass codes and/or brokers actually buying enough memberships to make fans unable to purchase even just 2 GA tickets to 1 show is ridiculous. In fact, it's about as ridiculous as Ticketmaster's apology and explanation of the situation.

The simplest solution, IMHO, is that 'big business, bad ass crime' is the villain and who represents 'big business, bad ass crime' in the music industry more than Ticketmaster? Record Labels.

Think about it... U2, the biggest band in the world, had their album leaked and Bono himself believes he knows who it was, yet U2 could do nothing about it, despite their best efforts and all their money.

Also, consider this: If employees are knowingly skimming off the top and selling to brokers, why doesn't Ticketmaster fire these people? Most likely because Ticketmaster gets a kick-back. How could record labels allow such corruption to continue, unless they themselves get kick-backs from Ticketmaster?

Matt McGee wrote an editorial on his site, @u2, that he believes the reason why fans are up in arms more so this time than the last tour is because we paid for the presale this time, unlike last time. Thus, his conclusion, the one reason we're upset is money.

Well, the one reason why I think all this happened is the same culprit: money.

Everyone always talks about how shady the entertainment industry is and how the music industry is the worst. However, mostly only insiders ever really see this kind of nastiness. This time we got to not only see it, but experience it first hand.

What has happened and what is happening is bigger than U2. From my earlier phone conversation I could tell that PM was angry over what happened to us and to them.

There is a chain here of cause and effect. The label (or an individual with power working within the framework of the label) allows authorized ticketing agents to be corrupt because such agents pay off the label (or individual). Money. The ticketing agents allow employees to skim off the top because they receive a percentage of such sales (why else keep these people as employees?). Money. The employees skim and sell to brokers for... Money. And then the brokers charge hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for tickets that many people with deep pockets are willing to pay.

Now, add to that all the tickets/seats given away for free, as is a very common practice in any business, and what do you have left? A handful of prime seats for a very lucky few fans who just happened to get through to the ticketing agent's website at the right moment.

Not very fair is it? But what do they all care? All parties involved end up making more money than imaginable, thus making all these shady acts worthwhile. (Heck, if you don't believe me, add up the number of individual tickets for the entire tour and multiply it by 100, now do it by 1000. Big difference!) The source of said tickets is unable to outright sell these tickets for $1,000 directly to the fans because no one would stand for it -- neither fans, nor the bands. Do it all behind the scenes and use something like pass codes and presales and ticketmaster.com and you're dealing with cold, sterile letters and numbers moving through cyberspace. They can do it to us because we have no other alternative. We will sit and wait like chumps as the screen jumps from 15 minutes wait time to 13 back up to 15 then to 5 and ultimately to either terrible seats or internal service errors.

The question is, does U2 have an alternative? Can they choose a ticketing agent other than Ticketmaster to handle all of their tickets? Do any other ticketing agents large enough to handle such a huge international fan base even exist?

End all be all, as stated before, I do not blame U2. I do believe they were equally scammed and did not see it coming. I also believe that they are stuck between a rock and a hard place: having to deal with the 'big business, bad ass crime' of the music industry and wanting to be fair to their fans. I think they got stuck in a bad place by nasty people bigger than them in both power and money.

Bono may have been named the 'most influential person in music' by Q Magazine, but if there's one thing I've learned living in Hollywood and trying to break into the film industry, it is that the truly most influential people are those you will never see or know; people behind the scenes with more money and power than all of Hollywood's A-list actors. And these people stay behind the scenes because they know that when you are that rich, it's safer to be unknown than famous. Bono may be the most influential person in music, but he's not the most powerful person in the music industry.

So, how do we bring this person down? I certainly don't think filing a class action lawsuit against U2 and PM will do it. Nope, that's probably just what they want to have happen because it shifts the blame and U2 become the scapegoats. So, how do we fix this? How do we help or make a difference? I don't know the answers to those questions, but I do know U2 is still my favorite band and I'd do just about anything to get them out of this situation."

Some food for thought, certainly. I did not write this and don't take any credit (or criticism!) for any of the above. This was posted by dreamchaser on Zootopia (http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?...ords=absolution&topic=&Search=true#Post126076). If this has already been posted here, I apologize, as I didn't see it anywhere.

Last edited:
I ran into similar troubles with pre-sales and a BRAND new Clear Channel venue when Rush went on tour last year. First in line, I ended up in the back row and just scratched my head! I was instantly suspicous. I did a great deal of research and I have to say, there is a lot of truth to this article.

This makes a great deal of sense, not that I'm an expert, but it sure hits home.

I really, really want to believe this is true and the band is not to blame.

But the question is, what can we do about Ticketbastard? How can this be allowed to continue? If they have been investigated and been found guilty of shady dealings, why has nothing been done to punish them? Did they pay off the investigators too?

Bono's shades said:
But the question is, what can we do about Ticketbastard? How can this be allowed to continue? If they have been investigated and been found guilty of shady dealings, why has nothing been done to punish them? Did they pay off the investigators too?

Big corporate money rules my dear. With Bush in the White House the Clear Channels and TMs are not going away and any investigation is quickly wrapped up and brushed aside.

Are we all so naive here? I've tried to echo similar thoughts to the post above, but everyone is running around here blind with emotion. We all need to step back and look at the big picture here. U2 is not really in control of their ticket distribution. Sad, but true.

fmattyh said:
Matt McGee wrote an editorial on his site, @u2, that he believes the reason why fans are up in arms more so this time than the last tour is because we paid for the presale this time, unlike last time.

Matt also pointed out that, according to Fanfire, U2.com has sold well over 100,000 memberships--while only around 26,000 presale tickets were available. So unless 'dreamchaser' is suggesting that those evil Ticketmaster hogboblins 'skimmed the top' to the tune of 75,000 tickets, it would seem that supply problems should have been foreseen, regardless.

There are some reasonable hypotheses in this article. But there is no compelling reason to see it as being any more true overall than any of the other, less optimistic theories currently circulating.

Re: Re: Why You Shouldn't Blame U2

yolland said:

Matt also pointed out that, according to Fanfire, U2.com has sold well over 100,000 memberships--while only around 26,000 presale tickets were available. So unless 'dreamchaser' is suggesting that those evil Ticketmaster hogboblins 'skimmed the top' to the tune of 75,000 tickets, it would seem that supply problems should have been foreseen, regardless.

There are some reasonable hypotheses in this article. But there is no compelling reason to see it as being any more true overall than any of the other, less optimistic theories currently circulating.

Uh huh. With those numbers, plus the fact that many, many tickets for large, popular events are never available to the general ticket buying population, I don't see how anyone with even a smidgen of a brain couldn't have seen that there were going to be major problems with the ticket sales (esp. pre-sales).

Is U2 totally to blame? Nah. But they should shoulder part of the blame.

U2 can not plead ignorance any longer!! This is their organization. All of the bureaucracy is theirs, and it can be done and undone as they see fit. I'm so tired of trying to find a way in which they are not complicit with every aspect of their organization.

They are not employees of U2 Inc., they ARE U2 Inc. This is their business - they are in charge. The members of this band are far from stupid, and we should treat them as the people of intelligence that they are, and stop trying to explain how they are just as caught up in the whole thing as we are.

Of course there are much larger issues at play than the band can be entirely responsible for - the shadiness of Ticketmaster is an accepted fact for not just those which attend concerts, but for those which perform as well.

U2 have been at this for over 25 years, and for the last 17 they have been the definition of international superstars. This is not some naiive group of rubes that are not hip to the ways of those big city slicksters Ticketmaster. This is instead an organization that has grossed hundreds of millions of dollars over the past few years alone.

In the same way that as citizens, we should expect those that are in charge of multi-million dollar companies are held ultimately responsible for the decisions/performance of the company to its shareholders, U2 is responsible to their shareholders as well - the fans. If they seek to operate their business in this manner, than they have a duty to fulfill their obligations to their fans.

The organization can not claim ignorance in this matter. The blame can be passed on to Ticketmaster, the promoters, or whichever, but the true responsibilities for ensuring that this pre-sale plan for the members of U2.com would work lie with the band and Paul McGuinnes, and only them.

Whoever's fault it was, I think the band and it's management should come out and apologize to fans for what happened. Say it was out of their control and they didn't intend to hurt their fans. Tell us! Say something! Anything! So far we got nothing.

PurpleSeven said:
U2 can not plead ignorance any longer!! This is their organization. All of the bureaucracy is theirs, and it can be done and undone as they see fit. I'm so tired of trying to find a way in which they are not complicit with every aspect of their organization.

They are not employees of U2 Inc., they ARE U2 Inc. This is their business - they are in charge. The members of this band are far from stupid, and we should treat them as the people of intelligence that they are, and stop trying to explain how they are just as caught up in the whole thing as we are.

Of course there are much larger issues at play than the band can be entirely responsible for - the shadiness of Ticketmaster is an accepted fact for not just those which attend concerts, but for those which perform as well.

U2 have been at this for over 25 years, and for the last 17 they have been the definition of international superstars. This is not some naiive group of rubes that are not hip to the ways of those big city slicksters Ticketmaster. This is instead an organization that has grossed hundreds of millions of dollars over the past few years alone.

In the same way that as citizens, we should expect those that are in charge of multi-million dollar companies are held ultimately responsible for the decisions/performance of the company to its shareholders, U2 is responsible to their shareholders as well - the fans. If they seek to operate their business in this manner, than they have a duty to fulfill their obligations to their fans.

The organization can not claim ignorance in this matter. The blame can be passed on to Ticketmaster, the promoters, or whichever, but the true responsibilities for ensuring that this pre-sale plan for the members of U2.com would work lie with the band and Paul McGuinnes, and only them.

Well said. Also, the explanation that Ticketmaster couldn't handle the overload is a bunch of hogwash. U2 are only doing arenas and only 16 dates! Compare that to Popmart where they did mor dates and stadiums at that. Surely Ticketmaster should have been more overloaded during those times.

Ignorance is not an excuse for negligence. U2 were negligent, no question about that.

Cheers,
J

Can't be bothered to read that, so I will just comment on the title of the thread. Of course there to blame, greedy bast#rds!:wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Big corporate money rules my dear. With Bush in the White House the Clear Channels and TMs are not going away and any investigation is quickly wrapped up and brushed aside.

Are we all so naive here? I've tried to echo similar thoughts to the post above, but everyone is running around here blind with emotion. We all need to step back and look at the big picture here. U2 is not really in control of their ticket distribution. Sad, but true.

I agree.

This is why I've been very hesitant to blame the actual members of U2 directly. However, they are at fault for their management hirings, and sadly, the subsequent management decisions.

There's a HUGE reason why Pearl Jam boycotted TicketMaster years ago - that reason remains. There's clearly a scam of some sort here - it wouldn't even surprise me if there were some shady "mafia" sort of dealings either.

U2 battled this once with the PopMart tour. By going to stadiums and adding additional stadium shows when necessary, U2 eliminated the need for scalpers. The stadium shows were SO big that everyone was able to get a ticket. And U2 added shows (like in Chicago) knowing that the third show might not fully sell out. At least they still bypassed scalpers.

The result?

U2 was slammed in the press for not having a sold-out tour, even though it was U2's best grossing tour to date. By having huge shows and eliminating scalpers, U2 were slammed in the press for failing to sell out the concert.

So U2 return to arenas in the U.S. for the Elevation tour, immediately sell out every venue and the press praises them for a successful tour - even though it grossed less money and sold less tickets than the PopMart tour.

What to do? Go to stadiums and bypass scalpers, but risk press negativity? Or use arenas and have a sell-out tour with press praise, but deal with angry fans? It's a lose-lose situation, if you ask me. I know I'd be upset reading how my tour is "flopping", yet I'd also be upset knowing how my fans are angry at the lack of tickets.

The only solution is to keep adding shows - and U2 now appear to be doing that with the rumor of a more extensive third leg.

Regardless, I felt the article posted above was brilliantly written. And I hope in the future, U2 gives their management a bigger push in how to deal with unscrupulous groups (including record leaks). The old Propaganda system worked and based on the total flop of the pre-sales with the Elevation tour, it stuns me that U2's management chose this route over Propaganda's method for this tour.

Last edited:
jick said:

Well said. Also, the explanation that Ticketmaster couldn't handle the overload is a bunch of hogwash. U2 are only doing arenas and only 16 dates! Compare that to Popmart where they did mor dates and stadiums at that. Surely Ticketmaster should have been more overloaded during those times.

Ignorance is not an excuse for negligence. U2 were negligent, no question about that.

Cheers,
J

Your logic is backwards Jick.

For the PopMart tour, there were HUGE shows. People were easily able to get tickets as there were just tons of tickets available. Additionally, if a stadium show sold out, U2 added another. Furthermore, you didn't have fans fighting for a mere 16 dates - the shows were all over the country.

So even if the demand was high, due to the enormous amount of tickets available, TicketMaster met this demand.

In contrast, feature limited tickets for a scant 16 shows and it's little wonder TicketMaster was overloaded. Everyone was trying for the best tickets for a mere 16 shows in arena settings!

Lastly, as a U2 fan here at work pointed out, back in the Elevation tour - at least initially - it was easier to get GA tickets because fans weren't really sure what was going on. But the "secret is out" so to speak, so now they are the primo ticket to get. Hence even more competition. Ergo, it's not really U2's fault.

I agree the presale TM problems are a scam. Other major acts put up their whole tour on a single Saturday and TM never has a problem. I believe TM crashed the system to stall and frustrate fans and probably time to allow their employees to skim off the good seats.
U2 is still to blame. Bono has his own venture capitalist company that specializes in the entertainment industry. He is not some naive musician who got suckered by TM. McGuinnes is exceptional at the business side of U2. Once you turn over your operation to TM, everyone in the industry knows where those tickets go. There is no conspiracy or mystery. Tm is set up to get great seats into the hands of corporations and brokers. U2 knows this. That is why other acts keep their fan club ticket distribution to themselves. If you want to use TM and be fair to fans, you can always do that through will call pickup and bypass the system. What would happen if all GA's are will call? Brokers and TM would have no use for them.

This is why I am just about done with this fucking band. Once my favorite band, now a money-machine. They took my $40 with utterly no worry ... I guess I will send the album to a few people who would probably buy it, sit out this tour and be done with it.

PurpleSeven said:

All the band has to do is to model their fan club after Radiohead's WASTE. I got 4 tickets in GA for the MSG show in Oct 2003 with very little effort. When you outsource the job, as Bono is fond of saying, to Ticketmaster, you reap what you sow.

barrett said:
I agree the presale TM problems are a scam. Other major acts put up their whole tour on a single Saturday and TM never has a problem. I believe TM crashed the system to stall and frustrate fans and probably time to allow their employees to skim off the good seats.
U2 is still to blame. Bono has his own venture capitalist company that specializes in the entertainment industry. He is not some naive musician who got suckered by TM. McGuinnes is exceptional at the business side of U2. Once you turn over your operation to TM, everyone in the industry knows where those tickets go. There is no conspiracy or mystery. Tm is set up to get great seats into the hands of corporations and brokers. U2 knows this. That is why other acts keep their fan club ticket distribution to themselves. If you want to use TM and be fair to fans, you can always do that through will call pickup and bypass the system. What would happen if all GA's are will call? Brokers and TM would have no use for them.

This article seems to present the case that this is an insurmountable problem, and the band are as much victims as the fans.

I don't buy that.

The Grateful Dead solved this problem with a mail-order ticket sale system that was implemented back in the 70s! And it worked fine during the Dead's heyday in the mid-to-late 80s when they were playing 4-day runs in packed arenas. And they did that to avoid this EXACT situation.

So I don't but that U2 is blameless. If they wanted to devote energy to solving this problem, they could easily fix it.

Peace,
Ron

Last edited:
Ron2112 said:

The Grateful Dead solved this problem with a mail-order ticket sale system that wa simplemented back in the 70s! And it worked fine during the Dead's heyday in the mid-to-late 80s when they wer eplaying 4-day runs in packed arena. And they did that to avoid this EXACT situation...If they wanted to devote energy to solving this problem, they could easily fix it.

Peace,

Ron, that's it exactly!!

Even though the Grateful Dead fan base and band is often described as a rag tag bunch of dirty hippies - their tour operations were wonders of organization.

During the late 80's and 90's, their tours were constantly among the highest grossing shows on a continual basis - and the reason why is because their organization handled the mail-order ticketing themselves! They did not out-source to Ticketmaster, even though TM would run the general sale ticketing.

They would announce the tour dates MONTHS in advance, thus avoiding the sytematic failures such as were on display by U2.com and TM with their pre-sale. This is not rocket science, but it would mean the band would have to shoulder more of the financial burden for an operation like this.

I don't think that it would be feasible to have a program in which we would snail mail our requests to PM in Dublin, or NY, but instead there could be a way for the initial requests for tickets be run through U2.com, and the tickets would then be physically sent to a U2.com member FROM U2.com - in the same tradition of the GD sending tickets to the fans directly from their offices, and bypassing TM altogether - even though TM would handle the general public sale.

If the hippies of Haight-Ashbury can figure out a system to handle a tour of same and often larger porportions (at least in terms of first leg) - then surely an international 21st century technologically inovating group such as U2, et. al should have been able to establish a better system then the broken down version that was offered.

PurpleSeven said:
This is not rocket science, but it would mean the band would have to shoulder more of the financial burden for an operation like this.[/B]

Yes....but you know, I think that comes with the territory.

Someone else in this thread mentioned Rush as having a similar fiasco on the R30 tour this past summer with their ticket pre-sales. As Rush is my favorite band, I suffered throught this with them as well (twice, in fact). But the difference is two-fold:

a) Rush is a lot more under-the-public-radar than U2 and
b) they weren't charging fans to participate in the pre-sales.

This tour is going to be the biggest of the year, easily. So U2 and their management should have anticipated this kind of problem and put the infrastructure in place to deal with it. ESPECIALLY if they're charging $40 to participate in the pre-sales. (I think someone else mentioned that 100,000 U2.com memberships hav ebeen sold so far. That's $4M right there, and certainly a fraction of that would pay for front-office staff needed to handle fan club ticket sales).

Now, I understand that if you break down the wording of the U2.com service agreement, no one was promised great seats, but I think there was an implication that if you paid the extra dough, you were going to have a realistic shot at better seats than you might get on Ticketmaster.

honestly though, I think that by the time Leg 3 rolls around, things will be handled much better. Which is lucky for me, as a resident of the DC metro area. :)

Peace,
Ron

Last edited:
Ron2112 said:

So U2 and their management should have anticipated this kind of problem and put the infrastructure in place to deal with it. ESPECIALLY if they're charging $40 to participate in the pre-sales. (I think someone else mentioned that 100,000 U2.com memberships hav ebeen sold so far. That's $4M right there, and certainly a fraction of that would pay for front-office staff needed to handle fan club ticket sales).

This, ultimately, is the most troubling aspect of the U2.com memberships - was it seen as another way for the band to generate profit? The true purpose of a fan club should be to reward those which are the true, and loyal fans of an artist - and the costs associated with being in a fan club should serve to defray the cost associated with whatever member benefits there are. Nobody is expecting the U2 organization to lose money on the fan club - but there should not be the inference that all out profiteering was had at the expense of the core fan base that has allowed them to achieve the levels of success that they have.

In the other life of Bono, there is so much talk of 'transparency' in the economic sense of countries that are receiving aid from other donor countries - only then can the trust be achieved that the monies that are given in good faith are not being squandered by those which would seek to expand their own pocketbooks. I understand that this situation is light years from where the other is, but is it not the same fundamental principal at work.

In good faith - tens, if not hundreds of thousands of fans gave their 'hard-earned' with the idea that it would not be squandered, and that there would be some form of preferential treatment.

Is this not the same idea that Bono has when he makes statements that it is in the best interest of the wealthiest countries to donate to those in need - because in the end there too would be a 'preferential treatment' of those which helped when those which sufferered were in need.

From this good faith - what have the rewards been? Has there been a feeling based on experiences with the club that have left a feeling of 'I can see why I had to pay the fee - I'm getting my monies worth' - ?? Is there that feeling of transparency - of knowing that your money is needed to ensure that the benefits of being a member are kept to the high level you would expect of a band this stature?

Once again, I am fully aware that the two things - aid to the poorest countries vs. a fan club for a wealthy band are two entirely different things - but it is the principle that I am arguing.

If the U2.com memberships were hatched out of the notion that it could be a low cost, high profit-generating aspect of the company - then truly the company, U2, has lost its way in this matter. They have, by consertive estimates, generated millions from these memberships - and that get's you a key-ring? I hope that the company is not a madly shrewd as that - but so far it is appearing they are.

Last edited:
I don't think its possible to compare U2 with the Grateful Dead (or most bands in fact) when it comes to buying tickets mainly because communication and ways to buy tickets - internet, mobile phone, a lot more scalpers around - have increased incomparably. Also, while Grateful Dead might have appealed to a cultural movement, U2 generally cross many cultural boundaries and in my opinion are much more widely popular.

You can spin this any way you'd like but it comes down to simple numbers.
100,000 paying U2.com members.
26,000 available presale tickets. Not just GA tickets mind you. That includes nosebleeds and $160 seats behind the stage.

That means that we paid $40 for a 25% chance to get a ticket--any ticket. That's crap. I guess I can't accuse U2 of out and out fraud but this comes about as close as you possibly can.

What the U2 corporate machine has essentially done is this: They've sold the equivalent of 74,000 "extra" GA seats without actually having seats available, ie the $40 membership fee. Moreover, they charged 26,000 fans an extra $40 a seat. It's brilliant actually.
And the best part is that they get to pat themselves on the back afterwards for "rewarding" their most loyal fans. The pure unmitigated gall it takes is staggering.

I keep seeing this 26,000 tickets figure - where did that come from? And does that include Europe?

PurpleSeven said:

The more and more I read the more I think U2 are purely out to maximise on a profit. They weren't ripping off the ordinary punter selling these memberships, they were ripping off their most loyal fans. They were also ripping off those same fans when they released those different versions of HTDAAB and that Vertigo single, they knew those fans would be a copy of each or 2 copies of the most expensive box set (I know a friend who buys one U2 album to keep in his I-never-listen-to- this- U2- album shelf and keeps one for listening to).

I also want to laugh everytime someone sticks up for U2 thinking all they care about is their fans and they really only care about keeping their fans happy. Wake up and smell the coffee folks, U2 didn't go out promoting that new album just for their fans benefit, they did that so people would buy it and they could get new fans i.e. to make money. It may not all be U2's fault that things have gone wrong but ticketmaster had nothing to do with taking $40 from U2 fans to sign up to U2.com and making a handsome profit from it.

Last edited:
Matthew_Page2000 said:

What the U2 corporate machine has essentially done is this: They've sold the equivalent of 74,000 "extra" GA seats without actually having seats available, ie the $40 membership fee. Moreover, they charged 26,000 fans an extra $40 a seat. It's brilliant actually.
And the best part is that they get to pat themselves on the back afterwards for "rewarding" their most loyal fans. The pure unmitigated gall it takes is staggering.

Pat themselves on the back.. until their most loyal fans collectively tell them to fuck off, stop buying their albums, stop buying the singles, the merchandise, the freaking $100 lithographs. Stop buying the tour tickets. I never thought I'd be at that point. As soon as we don't hear from the band about this, I will be there.

oliveu2cm said:

Pat themselves on the back.. until their most loyal fans collectively tell them to fuck off, stop buying their albums, stop buying the singles, the merchandise, the freaking $100 lithographs. Stop buying the tour tickets. I never thought I'd be at that point. As soon as we don't hear from the band about this, I will be there.

I will never ever buy something U2 related again. U2 will not miss this one fan not buying their things but I've thrown a lot of money towards U2 and I'm sure comapred to what others have spent it is peanuts, I think of all the people who have travelled to Ireland to meet the band, went to many concerts on one tour etc. I can't justify spending anymore towards them in the future.

I really wouldn't care if U2 were playing in my back garden, I have lost a lot of respect for them. Whatever happened to the band who seemed to really care about their fans more than money? It's like those actors, all they want is some sort of acting job, then they get on a show like FRIENDS and all of a sudden feel they have the right to demand $1million per episode. They just get so greedy. It's so sickening. U2 know they can squeeze a lot of money from their most loyal fans and that's who they are using to make their profits from, the people who have put that band in their privilaged lifestyles they live now. It really galls me. :down:

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:

The more and more I read the more I think U2 are purely out to maximise on a profit. They weren't ripping off the ordinary punter selling these memberships, they were ripping off their most loyal fans. They were also ripping off those same fans when they released those different versions of HTDAAB and that Vertigo single, they knew those fans would be a copy of each or 2 copies of the most expensive box set (I know a friend who buys one U2 album to keep in his I-never-listen-to- this- U2- album shelf and keeps one for listening to).

I also want to laugh everytime someone sticks up for U2 thinking all they care about is their fans and they really only care about keeping their fans happy. Wake up and smell the coffee folks, U2 didn't go out promoting that new album just for their fans benefit, they did that so people would buy it and they could get new fans i.e. to make money. It may not all be U2's fault that things have gone wrong but ticketmaster had nothing to do with taking $40 from U2 fans to sign up to U2.com and making a handsome profit from it.

I guess you stopped buying their music with Achtung Baby singles, then. And the album Pop.

Did you also know the band was guaranteed 100 million dollars profit from their promotor on Popmart tour? I suppose that was your last tour, no wait, that would be Zoo TV with the merchandise and the first-time openly posh lifestyle and big expenses, or Joshua Tree with the movie and the book.

Yes, U2 makes money with their music. It started the day the signed a record deal and sold their first copy of Boy. And yes, any business strives for profit.
That said, I like it that U2 tours for every album and puts out DVDs and videos so those who didn't see them live can see it on TV. I like their music. If that makes me funny or crazy or blind or naive, I'd rather have that over the cold and cynical attitudes I've seen here.

As for the fiasco, yes, U2 could have done this better. But more importantly, Ticketmaster should have.

Last edited:
It seems like there are two extreme views here:

1. It's not U2's fault, it's all about the big business and they are the victims as much as we are

2. U2 are greedy bastards and they have lost all the integrity they once had. They don't give a shit about their most loyal fans, and they are intentionally trying to ripp us off.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. It seems like many people are acting out of emotion and without knowing all the facts when they are literally saying they are giving up on their favourite band.

I don't think that the band did this on purpose, and I don't think they wanted this whole fiasco to happen. But they are clearly responsible ultimately for outsourcing their fanclub to Ticketmaster. Yes, Ticketmaster is the mafia of showbusiness, but we've all known that for a while, and so did U2. They should have known this would happen, so they clearly owe us an apology, and they better fix this for the future.

Back
Top Bottom