why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derrick_rossign

Acrobat
in my opinion, this song is the best out of both HTDAAB and ATYCLB, almost no contest. this song has such a big sound, and its amazing. So why on earth wasn't it a single?

comments welcomed.

Well, at first I was wowed by the intro. It was one of the first tracks I listened to off HTDAAB, and it just had a great atmospheric, melodic intro.

As soon as it gets to the "freedom" part, though, it just kind of slumps down into paint-by-numbers U2.

That's just my thoughts, but I think a lot of people share the same opinion.

Why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song? Good question. My personal opinion is that it starts off with a lovely, yearning guitar sequence that leads to a rather anti-climactic song overall. For me it never quite takes flight, although the lyrical direction is laudable and thought-provoking.

When I heard this song live, I have to say that I appreciated it more, especially with a lengthened intro that allowed Bono to dedicate it to health professionals everywhere. But overall I personally think it's one of the weaker songs on HTDAAB - although the band obviously valued it enough to work it into the setlist, I'd be surprised to see it return again on any future tours.

Personally Miracle Drug is one of my all time favorite songs.

I think the reason why it 'failed' success wise is because the song is a wee bit poppy at times. Which pretty much contradicts what I said about it being one of my all time favorites because I hate anything pop. (Except for 'Pop'.)

I agree that the live version helped me to appreciate the song more. Maybe because Edge sings lead in the song? With the exception of Numb, U2 songs don't have much success with Edge in the lead. I realize of course that he only sang in one section, but still, it's really the only thing I can think of - too poppy, and has the Edge curse.

Then again, I'm probably way off too. Just my $0.02.

It's because it's a boring song. In fact, I'd say that it's not poppy enough, nor is it interesting/non-poppy enough. It's not exciting until 2/3 through the song.

Lyrically, it doesn't wow me at all. The overall message says something, but there's no magic in most of the lines or phrases on their own---too many generic lines like "the songs are in your eyes," etc. Plus, I think any song that talks about science and medicine is doomed from the start.

All that said, it's not that it's a bad song. It just doesn't have any electricity to it. I usually start off thinking about skipping it, then end up singing with it, then at the end thinking it's not as bad as I thought. It's kind of like reading The Fellowship of the Ring---you have to get through a lot of tediousness before you can enjoy it and think it's worthwhile.

Last edited:
U2Fan101 said:

I agree that the live version helped me to appreciate the song more. Maybe because Edge sings lead in the song? With the exception of Numb, U2 songs don't have much success with Edge in the lead. I realize of course that he only sang in one section, but still, it's really the only thing I can think of - too poppy, and has the Edge curse.

:scratch: Edge sings the same bit in the studio version, too.

Utoo said:

:scratch: Edge sings the same bit in the studio version, too.

Haha. I know this. My wording in my previous post was confusing. I had two thoughts running through my head and I merged them as one:)

My first point was the live version helped me to appreciate the song more.

My second point was maybe because the song wasn't a success was because of Edge singing lead.

Combining both in one paragraph I know makes it seem like I'm implying something else.

Morgoth321 said:
that leads to a rather anti-climactic song overall. For me it never quite takes flight

I disagree. The Edge solo + verse does that for me every time. :drool:

I find the rest to be a tad mundane.

It's actually Coldplay by numbers, performed by U2, it's ok, which just isn't good enough.

I just find Miracle Drug to be really boring and bland. U2 on cruise control. Its pretty much skipped every time on my cd player, I just cant get into it I dont know why.

I think Miracle Drug is an example of how the band need to work harder at song placement again. Having Miracle Drug second pretty much killed HTDAAB for a few friends, the same way having Stuck second killed ATYCLB for (mainly the same) friends.

I like Miracle Drug well enough, but it doesn't take off until after the solo break and Edge's vocal bit. From that part to the end, it's a much better song.

Miracle Drug failed where Original of the Species succeeded. It lacked the power.

A couple things: I agree with the song placement thing. I personally don't mind it at #2, because I love the song. But it probably should have been All Because of You following Vertigo for the 1-2 punch.

The other thing is that I think it really would have benefitted from a video. To me, Edge's solo and lead vocal on that verus IS the big draw to this song, and they should have shown him on camera singing his part to sell that very aspect. If you don't know it's him singing (and you could EASILY mistake it for Bono), the whole effect of Edge handing it over to Bono, who then takes it into the stratosphere, is lost. But that moment, as Edge says "...you took me in" with Bono taking over on his final "the songs are in your eyes", it's just a great snapshot of the unity and brotherhood of the band.

As it as said above, the lyrics are weak, despite the interesting idea behind the song. But not any worse than the high school poetry of With Or Without You. It wasn't the reason this didn't hit with the public.

Nope, folks, this is a beautiful tune, even a huge one – at least for, what U2 have achieved in the '00s. Since ATYCLB I do have a slight (big?) problem with the way of song writing, my very favourite band approaches.
I read a thousand times (and it has been discussed here a zillion times, too), that Bono has wanted since then to say words more straightforward, more personal, more direct.
In other words: He left behind, his former more poetical, lyrical and intellectual way of songwriting, In other word: Instead of (longer?) periods to elaborate a song with words, he choses (shorter?) periods to put words together for songs.
Maybe it is because he really wants it that way, maybe he has lost interest in being one of the best rock poets on earth (which he definetly was), maybe he has lost the will to spend so much time on single tunes – whatever the reason is.
A lot of especially not that deeply rooted fans may ask: "So what?" But I do feel really sorry about this lack of really great song lyrics. Much more, because I do know Bono was capable of writing that way.
Take the lyrics of fine tunes like "Beautiful Day", "Walk On" or the mentioned "Miracle Drug" – and compare them with the lyrical (and thus also musical) landscapes of "The Unforgettable Fire", "One Tree Hill" or even "If You Wear That Velvet Dress". Bigger a difference couldn't be. I wish, Bono the poet would return ...

Yeah being released wouldn't hurt...:lol:

Personally, I like the song, but don't love it, it was nice live though...

I think it suffered from wierd lyrical content as well. U2 fans are use to songs of hope that are pointed to love, God, or peace... concepts rather than concrete substantial things. I think it was kind of wierd for U2 fans to hear a song that spoke of science, logic, medicine, these usually aren't the poetic things we're used to hearing about...

Personally, I kind liked that about it, and don't even mind the 'freedom has a scent' line all that much, but to each it's own.

Miracle Drug is U2's Speed of Sound. The band trying too hard to sound like itself.

Ten reasons why 'Miracle Drug' wasn't a huge song.
Some of which have already been said.

1. Obviously, it wasn't released as a single.

2. Between a pretty decent chorus are some downright lulls.
For example, the Edge 'solo' bridge is nice but not conducive to airplay. The song ends too early as well.

3. Despite a decent chorus, it's not a hook. Not for the lame brain pop charts and for that matter, it's not rocky enough to go anywhere else.

4. Bringing me to the demographic. Outside of an ardent U2 fan, what demographic is this song going to appeal to on a large enough basis to make it a huge hit?

5. U2 and any other rock band full of 45 year olds would have trouble buying a hit on the mainstream charts. Actually, with very few exceptions, rock bands in general are having trouble making any noise with the pop charts.

6. Brings me to the charts themselves, what chart would this song belong on? Whatever chart is the prime spot, it won't fit.

7. I think the song itself it about 1/3 greatness, 1/3 stock U2, 1/3 clumsy. This song doesn't feel like it was fully realized.

8. "Freedom is the scent........"

9. I don't think a lot of big U2 fans-turned casual fans or just casual fans in general buy this song on a large level. It's U2 on auto-pilot. This is a huge section of people that would need to take a song up the charts. Vertigo, I think people bought into.

10. I think the biggest factor, personally is the chorus.
It's only a decent chorus because the first 2/3 of it is a pretty damn good chorus with a pretty embarassing end.

"The songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile, I've had enough of romantic love, I'm not given up....." up until that point, it's good.

And then the clumsy (for lack of a better term) "on a miracle drug" It's not the lyric or the idea, it's that delivery. The chorus builds and builds and demands a climactic punchline. Instead it's Bono whimpering "a miracle drug".

As all of those reasons, I believe, are legitimate. I think ultimately there is not enough in that song that demands a non-U2 devotee to want to go and buy a download. It was, IMO, a down point of the live shows. Lacking energy.

Had the band themselves beleived more in the song or even the A&R guy (whatever they are called these days) with the label. I'm sure they woud have tried and released it as a single.

I don't fault them for their single selection on HTDAAB.
I think they got it about right. Two rockers, a quintiessential sounding U2 arena song, a ballad and a Beatles-esque pop tune.

Miracle Drug would have had to have been better than OOTS to make an argument for itself. I don't think it was even close.

I think its biggest problem is its total lack of staying power. I loved Miracle Drug when the album leaked; Edge's solo and his verse in particular stood out as sensational. Within a month or two? It was just another good song. By the time I saw it live, less than half a year later? It seemed to be one of the album's weakest songs, and U2's inability to perform it live with any kind of spark completely ruined it. Miracle Drug is one of the few U2 songs better in the studio. I attribute this mainly to Edge's solo not soaring to the same heights live.

Q: Why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song?

my answer and my opinion:
MD wasn't a huge song, because its not a good song and its too cheeeeeeeeesy

jacobus said:
Q: Why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song?

my answer and my opinion:
MD wasn't a huge song, because its not a good song and its too cheeeeeeeeesy

Agreed.
It was also badly placed on the album as others of you have pointed out. If it had to be on the album at all it should have been nearer the end perhaps the penultimate song? HTDAAB should have started with COBL and then Vertigo.

I think they should have done that song more atmospehric and calmer, the song is so great until the "freedom" thing starts. If the music hadnt been that poppy/rocky the song could have been alot better. Maybe they should have done the pop/rock thing only in the end of the sing after Edge solo. I realy like when Bono sings the "I had enough" with more strength just after the solo.

jinn77 said:
It's actually Coldplay by numbers, performed by U2, it's ok, which just isn't good enough.

I could not agree with you more: U2 trying to hard to sound like U2 and therefor ending up sounding like Coldplay! This also happens on City Of Blinding Lights.. Talking about an overrated tune!! Anyway, this seems to be the overall-problem with HTDAAB: 3 fresh innovative songs like Vertigo, A Man And A Woman and Yahweh. These songs have this little U2-magic that sometimes appears... But the rest of the songs are too obvious and cliché, bombastic but cheesy... Some of the songs try to work on your instant appeal: Sometimes, City, Original, Love Peace, Miracle,.. and it works but then they seem to lose power along the way... While U2 can be at their best in creating "grow-daimonds", songs you keep listening to because they tickle your imagination and go a different direction than you aspect, or are simply not so obvious.

Anyway: back to Miracle Drug:
The song is to flat and it’s mainly Larry and Edge’s fault. Especially in the choruses (“the songs are in…”) their style of playing is to straight-on and predictable: Edge hits his chords just straight-on! And Larry hits his more and more occurring break beats (Last Night On Earth, Gone, Beautiful Day, Walk On (live)) with cymbals to it. (Yes indeed: Coldplay-style: Clocks, Speed Of Sound, Yellow, etc...) Man, do I miss Larry's drumming during October, War, Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby!... this guy creating thunder and earthquakes on his drumkit!!

Miracle Drug just doesn’t lift of, it’s stays down. Adam is not to inventive here either. And Bono’ s singing is not really adventurous. Also the “whoa’s, yeah’s..” in the midsection with Edge’s (cheesy) slide guitar makes this part sound lazy! Compare this to the midsection of Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (..”the deeper I spin…the hunter will rise” etc..) Here they take you on a trip like if they’re painting a picture right on the spot for you. Beautiful! At the end of Miracle Drug the band is searching for an end and the song just “ends”! Not a lot happened…

Back
Top Bottom