Why SYCMIOYO will never compare to ONE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Something has been bothering me about SYCMIOYO, ever since I first heard it. Yes its a lovely song, and heart wrenching but it is a song that reminds me too much of the way other groups would write a song. I hate to say this but it is a bit on the sickly side and reminds me a bit of how Bon Jovi would write a song. The middle guitar bit and the "listen to me now" bridge has certain likeness to Bon Jovi's "Always". Not in the way the song sounds but certain things about the song. Its a ballad U2 would never have done up to the year 2000. Now on tuesday Jo Whiley on Radio 1 said that the song was up there with One, which is a slow song but in that certain way U2 used to do the slow epic song. It will never ever be up there with One because SYCMIOYO is to American its approach to the slow song and One is, well, just a CLASSIC.

mikal said:
i wish people would stop comparinging all the time and just enjoy the songs.

:applaud:

Yes, please stop comparing it to One. U2 has other songs that are just as emotional (Bad, Stay, etc.). If the song sounded a lot like One, I could see the comparisions but it sounds nothing like it and is actually very understated except for the bridge part which just "makes" the song.

An opinion on the way U2 sounds now. They are not pushing the boundaries like they used to but writing songs that have the sound of a lot of other songs. They have become VERY Americanised.

rjhbonovox said:
An opinion on the way U2 sounds now. They are not pushing the boundaries like they used to but writing songs that have the sound of a lot of other songs. They have become VERY Americanised.

Americanized? i'm not sure i like that term.

why have they? they are doing what they are good at... soundling like U2, sounding like they want to sound for a change, bono this time round seems so happy.... he is having fun again, which to be honest i never noticed too much with ATYCLB, U2 are back, lets just enjoy it

By the way, it was Radio 1 DJ Jo Whileywho said that the song was UP THERE with ONE that is why I was making the point. The song is nowhere near as memorable as ONE and never will be.

well "One" will always stand on its own. it's a very powerful song, as is "SYCMIOYO". i can honestly say that if there is a ballad done by the band that could be mentioned in the same sentence as "One", it would be this song.

rjhbonovox said:
Something has been bothering me about SYCMIOYO, ever since I first heard it. Yes its a lovely song, and heart wrenching but it is a song that reminds me too much of the way other groups would write a song. I hate to say this but it is a bit on the sickly side and reminds me a bit of how Bon Jovi would write a song. The middle guitar bit and the "listen to me now" bridge has certain likeness to Bon Jovi's "Always". Not in the way the song sounds but certain things about the song. Its a ballad U2 would never have done up to the year 2000. Now on tuesday Jo Whiley on Radio 1 said that the song was up there with One, which is a slow song but in that certain way U2 used to do the slow epic song. It will never ever be up there with One because SYCMIOYO is to American its approach to the slow song and One is, well, just a CLASSIC.

I actually thought 'One' was was a bit kinda traditional when I first heard it.. just goes to show how songs evolve.

For me, 'Sometimes' was one of the least immediate songs on the album for the first week. But today it has 'bitten' so to speak. I love it. And I love it when that happens too.. the delayed reaction!

'Crumbs' is still blowing be away totally..

I bet when AB came out, people were saying "One is a great song, but it's no WOWY or Bad."

rjhbonovox said:

rjhbonovox, perfectly said. You are one of us.

"One" has has nearly 14 years behind it. SYCMIOYO has what 3 weeks??? Give it time to see where these songs rank.

Axver said:
I bet when AB came out, people were saying "One is a great song, but it's no WOWY or Bad."

That's totally right.

Happened with One, happened with Stay, even happened with With Or Without You... "what's that? A bad copy of Bad?"...

Give it time, and 10 years on you'll see someone saying that the new slow song U2 has just released doesn't stand alongside One, Stay or SYCMIOYO...

"Sometimes" might pull ahead of "One" after it gets played live a lot. "One" was just another good song on AB until the Zoo TV tour started. I do think that "Sometimes" is the standout track on the album, though. It's no wonder it's the next single, and that the band is already playing it. It's easily better than any song since AB, with the possible exception of Beautiful Day.

Rastat said:

That's totally right.

Happened with One, happened with Stay, even happened with With Or Without You... "what's that? A bad copy of Bad?"...

Give it time, and 10 years on you'll see someone saying that the new slow song U2 has just released doesn't stand alongside One, Stay or SYCMIOYO...

I don't see ppl saying: "oh, that new song doesn't stand alongside Stuck in a moment or Walk on"... Time doesn't make miracles.

LyricalDrug said:
"Sometimes" might pull ahead of "One" after it gets played live a lot. "One" was just another good song on AB until the Zoo TV tour started. I do think that "Sometimes" is the standout track on the album, though. It's no wonder it's the next single, and that the band is already playing it. It's easily better than any song since AB, with the possible exception of Beautiful Day.

Pah.....best song since Achtung Baby......what better than Gone?, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Mofo, Miami......it is better than none of those songs. Original Of The Species is great but I can't see it with SYCMIOYO, it sounds too much like what other bands have done before and that is where U2 are now......sounding like other groups on there slow songs with the strings and the big sound and big singalong chorus.

I didn't mention Stuck or Walk On... maybe Kite could stand there, but only maybe... I just had a "click" with SYCMIOYO that... just brings me shivers down my spine... and it's simply beautiful, poignant and heartfelt... and I relate to it a lot.

LyricalDrug said:

Oh my God... In between AB and HTDAAB there were some albums my friend, maybe you didn't know them: Zooropa, Passengers and Pop. ATYCLB... that doesn't count... :huh:

Another over rated song mentioned in the thread above is Stuck In A Moment. While being a good tune its not outstanding and 4 years on is not growing into a classic tune, same will be said of SYCMIOYO.

MIAMI :shocked:

Hmmm, if you think it is worse than Miami than I can't see you liking anything by U2 from 2000 to when they retire.

riteshbhatt1 said:
MIAMI :shocked:

Hmmm, if you think it is worse than Miami than I can't see you liking anything by U2 from 2000 to when they retire.

In your opinion U2 will never make music that is unafraid of adventure again?

i personally think one is the most overrated u2 song out there... its a good song, but i dont think its as awesome as people hold it to be. :shrug:

i like sometimes... better, i like stay better, i like with or without you better, i like original of the species better... one is good, but i just really dont see why its regarded as the holy grail of u2 songs.

StlElevation said:
i personally think one is the most overrated u2 song out there... its a good song, but i dont think its as awesome as people hold it to be. :shrug:

i like sometimes... better, i like stay better, i like with or without you better, i like original of the species better... one is good, but i just really dont see why its regarded as the holy grail of u2 songs.

It's amazing how ppl who are so different in certain areas are even more different in others... I could never think like you in any matter for what i see...

Amazing.

rjhbonovox said:

STOP WITH THE COMPARSIONS WITH AN IDIOT LIKE BON JOVI!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Re: Re: Why SYCMIOYO will never compare to ONE...

djerdap said:

STOP WITH THE COMPARSIONS WITH AN IDIOT LIKE BON JOVI!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

thank you, djerdap. Sometimes will never be One, because One is the greatest song ever recorded by man kind. Sometimes is a great tune though and deserves to be a single.

When I first heard One, after bringing the album home and sitting horrified listening to Zoo Station and Even Better (where had edge's jangly guitar gone?), I was impressed, it was obviously a great song. I thought the same about Sometimes a few days back.

After reading Bill Flanagan's book, and hearing of Axl Rose crying to One, and seeing the Popmart video where Bono seems to sing in tears as he dedicates the song to Michael Hutchence, One has become something else. Especially with the extra vocals Bono adds in concert - "you see me coming lord" etc - One has become the quintessential U2 powerhouse ballad. BUT THAT IS NOW!!!!!

Comparisons are subjective, and I usually agree with U2_Guy, but I believe we can only compare One as it was at it's release with Sometimes. And Sometimes stands pretty strong! For me, it's a very very big song, and given live treatment plus documented reactions in time to come, who knows how highly it will be rated...

Back
Top Bottom