Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
Original of the Species is a poor choice for the next U2 single. For one thing, it sounds way too adult contemporary to stand a chance of getting any airplay. However, one of the biggest problems with the song is its title. Nowhere in the song does Bono actually using the words "original of the species." This may seem like a minor point to some, but how are the masses supposed to remember what the song is called? The song doesn't stand a chance.

MacPhistoPT said:
I agree with your points. I actually like the song but I'd prefer Love&Peace or Yahweh in the live-stripped version.

I agree that LAPOE should be the single. The song turns heads, and it seems as though many people who normally dismiss U2 actually like the song alot. Also, the lyrics of LAPOE resonate so well in the aftermath of recent terrorist acts, and the war in Iraq. The song is literally begging for a single release, but I don't think we'll get to see it happen.

starvinmarvin said:

I agree that LAPOE should be the single. The song turns heads, and it seems as though many people who normally dismiss U2 actually like the song alot. Also, the lyrics of LAPOE resonate so well in the aftermath of recent terrorist acts, and the war in Iraq. The song is literally begging for a single release, but I don't think we'll get to see it happen.

:|

I didn't care for it in the first listenings to HTDAAB, but after the live version, I realized that it's a great mindblowing song.

L&P and Yahweh are my 2 of my favourite songs from HTDAAB so I'd like to see them as single. The other are COBL (already is) and One Step Closer (0,1% chances of being single)

starvinmarvin said:
Original of the Species is a poor choice for the next U2 single. For one thing, it sounds way too adult contemporary to stand a chance of getting any airplay. However, one of the biggest problems with the song is its title. Nowhere in the song does Bono actually using the words "original of the species." This may seem like a minor point to some, but how are the masses supposed to remember what the song is called? The song doesn't stand a chance.

:eyebrow: That's part of why I like the song. It's a refreshing change from all these song titles that just ape the chorus. As per your other complaint, well, I think we should at least wait for the Single version to be released. It sounds like there will be some substantial differences between the album and single version.

Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

mobvok said:

:eyebrow: That's part of why I like the song. It's a refreshing change from all these song titles that just ape the chorus. As per your other complaint, well, I think we should at least wait for the Single version to be released. It sounds like there will be some substantial differences between the album and single version.

I'm not saying that I don't like the song, and i agree that the title is interesting, but if U2 is aiming for a hit single (and they must be, if they're going to the time and effort of re-working the song), then the song's title will hurt its chances. I

Re: Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

starvinmarvin said:

I'm not saying that I don't like the song, and i agree that the title is interesting, but if U2 is aiming for a hit single (and they must be, if they're going to the time and effort of re-working the song), then the song's title will hurt its chances. I

I dunno. I'd like to think that if the song is good enough, then the "title issue" really won't matter at all.

shaun vox said:
u2 dont have the balls to release LAPOE as a single!!:wink:

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

While the band may think it's risky to release LAPOE, I think it's far more risky to release an AOR song like OOTS. It's guarenteed to flop in America, and I'm not so sure that the UK will embrace the song either. It may sound "safe" enough for radio, but it won't stand out enough to become a hit.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

mobvok said:

I dunno. I'd like to think that if the song is good enough, then the "title issue" really won't matter at all.

I'd like to think so too, but it does matter. Alot. Most people are dumb, and won't be inquisitive to seek out the title of the song if it isn't drilled into their heads by means of repetition.

It depends on the general public themselves (if people like the song) then it will be successful ...
on the charts, as a single release with record sales, and given lots of radio airplay ... :up:
If that happens and the song is a success, the majority of people will already know and remember what the song title is !! :yes:

Just look at U2's hit singles. All of them have strongly defined choruses, where the chorus matches the title of the song. The only exception is The Fly, but that's only one example, but it became a hit because the song was so revolutionary. OOTS is pretty run of the mill in comparison, and won't turn heads like The Fly did.

MrBrau1 said:
It'll probably go #1 in the UK.

Doubt it. The last single, COBL may have hit #2, but it died a quick death, despite the fact that U2 was touring Britiain at the time, and had lots of exposure through Live 8. OOTS is even more sedate than COBL. I think it will crack the Top 10 in the UK, but it will not stay in the Top 40 for long, which would make it a disappointment. OOTS will not even crack the Billboard 100 in the US.

starvinmarvin said:

Doubt it. The last single, COBL may have hit #2, but it died a quick death, despite the fact that U2 was touring Britiain at the time, and had lots of exposure through Live 8. OOTS is even more sedate than COBL. I think it will crack the Top 10 in the UK, but it will not stay in the Top 40 for long, which would make it a disappointment. OOTS will not even crack the Billboard 100 in the US.

Do you know for sure that OOTS is the next single?

I can think of two Bono quotes that give away that he wants to release "Original of the Species" as a single:

The first, Bono says something along the lines that he'd consider the album a success if "Sometimes..." and "Original..." were hits.

Then later he said they'll have to remix "Original..." for the single.

I think they also booked some studio time in between tour dates, presumably to lay down some parts for the single version of "Original..."

The next single will be the fifth from the album, and since it's fairly unlikely they'll release six singles for it (that's over half the damn album), we can assume "Original..." is next and last.

That, or they won't release another single at all and will leave it at four. They really should've released "Miracle Drug" instead of "All Because of You" (or simply not had a single between "Vertigo" and "Sometimes..." in the first place).

Last edited:
City of Blinding Lights was essentially #1 in UK, wasn't it the stupid frog ringtone that beat it?

Pretty much what they have been releasing has been a success everywhere but the US, so I imagine U2 are fairly happy with the album.

Plus, is has the worst lyric ever created in it..

'I'll give you everything you want, except the thing you want'

..riiiiight, how deep.

Oh my goodness, I just listened to OOTS from Milan, and it'll be a killer single I think!
Sure, it may be 'adult contemporary' in style, but with a decidely rock-n-roll twist and it will so tower majestically on the radio with a fuller orchestration. I hope they release it that way.
It's not an 'alternative rock' type deal and so if they give it a full orchestra backing it'll disabuse anyone of pigeonholeing it that way and it'll just be the big sweet song it is.

But I do agree with typhoon that miracle drug woulda been a good single release that didn't happen...

cheers all!

Yeah, Miracle drug would've been better than All Because of You. As a result, they've wasted another potential hit single in favour of something generic.

Miracle Drug can join Bad, Until the End of the World, and Gone in the lsit of "Great Songs That Weren't Singles"

Cooper2000 said:

..riiiiight, how deep.

I have to disagree there...it totally resonates with me, despite the admittedly weird initial earfeel, as something a parent vibes at a kid. I mean, undoubtedly there are other meanings for the song, but for me it calls up, bravely in its apparent unfathomability, how a parent will bristle against the will or stated perspective of his child thusly making them unhappy and thwarted but at the same time wanting nothing but to make them happy. if that makes any sense. which it probably doesn't.

cheers!

You know, I could make a contribution to this thread...but I actually thought All Because Of You was going to be a big hit, so I think I am just better of staying away. :reject:

Cooper2000 said:

..riiiiight, how deep.

Yes because every line in a good song has to been freakin Shakespeare....please...............

Lets wait to see how they dress it up.

this is good in its own context

Some things you shouldn’t get too good at
Like smiling, crying and celebrity
Some people got way too much confidence baby

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

starvinmarvin said:

I'd like to think so too, but it does matter. Alot. Most people are dumb, and won't be inquisitive to seek out the title of the song if it isn't drilled into their heads by means of repetition.

Yeah, people wil probably go into the shops asking for "Everywhere You Go," and the clerk will have no idea what they're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom