Why no VMA's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in memory of starvin marvin

9180.gif

why does anyone complain about awards given out by MTV? they baisicly just give you an award for showing up.

and for the people who are going "oh the VMA's are stupid u2 wouldn't sink to something like that blah blah blah they don't need to sell out for such a crap show yadda yadda yadda..."

umm... they have been on the VMA's at least 4 times already by my count, if not more. so there goes that argument.q

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i missed the actuall show... did R.Kelly perform "In the closet," bringing the ultimate of all unintentional comedy moments to a live setting? :hyper:

Yes. It was a spectacular moment in awards show history. He had the audience bopping up and down as he lip synched through his performance.

I might watch it when it reruns again just to relive the moment.

ramblin rose said:

Yes. It was a spectacular moment in awards show history. He had the audience bopping up and down as he lip synched through his performance.

I know, did you guys catch that!? That was hilarious!

Everytime the voice broke off and said something like "But den he say..." and "And den she say..." he'd just stand there without moving his mouth. He even totally mispronounced some of the words, but somehow they came out ok, AND on perfect key!

I tell ya, in 20 years, we're gonna be talking about that R. Kelly performance at the VMA's...

Axver said:

Rock and roll isn't dead: it's been buried alive. Oh, it wants to live, but rubbish like Green Day sure aren't helping its cause.

I'm glad U2 haven't won anything. I wouldn't want their name to be in lights with inane bands like Green Day and The Killers.

Green Day aren't rubbish. They're not great/special either, but they're not rubbish. Hell, American Idiot is their best record ever.

So, the VMAs, as expected, were totally disgusting. And that's sad for someone who remembers when it actually used to be an entertaining show...hasn't been bearable since 1999, hasn't been really entertaining since 1997 maybe, and hasn't been actually great since 1995 and before.

Things MTV needs to do bring the VMAs back to greatness:

1)The most important thing is that they need to restore a better balance to the kind of music presented on the show. They simply CANNOT go on letting the show be 95% hiphop, 2.5% teeny-bopper shit, 2.5% rock. It's just shit. It's not even good hip hop, it's shit-hop. Rock is not dead. There are still good bands out there, but MTV just refuses to give them airtime anywhere. Granted, a band like Radiohead probably wouldn't come even if they were invited, but still. The effort should be made. Foo Fighters, Beck, Billy Corgan, Audioslave, Bruce Springsteen, Oasis, and Nine Inch Nails are just some of the bands/artists that currently have albums out but were nowhere to be seen on the show(Beck was nominated though). Are all of these people saying no or is MTV just not making the effort to get them? It's just disgusting when all of these acts are passed up to make room for R.Kelly and his opera-sync or Kayne and his equally over-the-top theatrics or the preformances of 50-cent or Kelly Clarkson and the only bearable acts to be seen are Green Day, Coldplay, and The Killers(who weren't that good anyway). I'm not saying get rid of hip-hop from the VMAs all together, but a better balance MUST be restored. 60% pop/rock, 30% hip-hop, 10% everything else(because *GASP* there is music outside of rock and hiphop) would be much better.

2.Don't ever let Puffy/Diddy/whatever the hell his name is ever host ever again. Proved he's a moron. In a more general sense, get better hosts. Stick to comedians as opposed to preformers. They know how to entertain people outside of music better than artsts/band members/hiphoppers do. Diddy was a flat-out embarassment.

3.Move the show back to New York. I don't want to offend anyone that might like or love the city of Miami, but I really don't like it. One, I'm not crazy about tropical climates - but that's irrelevant here. Two, the idea of being in Miami for the VMAs is all about the 'it's hot' and 'it's sexy' thing(I still don't understand how a city can be sexy), and it promotes the whole hip-hop vibe. If my #1 is to be done, I think the show has to leave Miami, especially since there's no doubt in my mind that MTV brought the show to Miami BECAUSE of the hip-hop vibe. Another thing about Miami is the whole people arriving on their yachts thing...I don't know if this happened this year but I know it did last year. It's over-indulgence plain and simple. It's ego-tripping. It's disgusting. Go back to New York.

4.If you don't do anything and you just let the VMAs continue the way they are, then please change the trophy you're giving out. The moonman is symbolic of an MTV that no longer exists. Sadly.

ramblin rose said:

We really need a video clip of that so we can watch it over and over . . . :lmao:

My favorite part was when he got confused on the lipsyncing (which was a lot of the time :lol: ).

kellyahern said:

We really need a video clip of that so we can watch it over and over . . . :lmao:

My favorite part was when he got confused on the lipsyncing (which was a lot of the time :lol: ).

We should get one ready for the next setlistless setlist party.

:| :| :| :|
vma have become so lame that i would hope u2 avoid them like the paluge, all these 'AWARD SHOWS" appear to be so predetermined that they have become no more than kick backs for record company and hollywood capitalist piggies:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

the vmas were an absolute disgrace...i feel like writing mtv a letter or something...im sooo glad u2 didnt win some stupid shitty moonman or whatever the hell they give out...how pathetic

The place to be
It's plain to see

That was Diddy's opening rap. Do you guys think he wrote that up or was in improv? Because I mean...that...THAT is talent...

Back
Top Bottom