Why no one can ever again complain about the setlist variety...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
I thought I would post a setlist from leg one and leg three to show just how much things have changed...

Calgary Setlist from leg one:

Elevation
Beautiful Day
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Stuck In a Moment
Gone
Even Better Than the Real Thing
New York
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Sweetest Thing
In A Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
All I Want Is You
Where the Streets Have No Name
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
----------------------------
Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You
Pride
One
Walk On

Baltimore setlist from leg three:

Elevation
Beatiful Day
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Out of control
Sunday Bloody Sunday
When Will i see you again
Stuck in a moment
Kite
Angel of Harlem
Knocking on Heaven's Door(with some guy pulled from teh crowd)
Staring at the Sun (acoustic)
Please
wtshnn
ishfwilf
pride

encore

bullet
what's going on
new york
one
POE/walk on

changes:
out of control instead of gone
angel of harlem instead of even better than the real thing
knockin' on heaven's door instead of in a little while
kite instead of sweetest thing
Please instead of All I want is you
ISHFWILF instead of mysterious ways
what's going on instead of Fly
POE verse added
When will I see you again added
Ground beneath her feet dropped...etc.

Is my point at all clear?

Great thread!

Couldn't agree anymore!

But the problem is, did U2 play every song YOU wanted them to play? If not, that's just unacceptable!
wink.gif

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

Actually, they did! They came over to my house last night and played a travis kramer show list. It went like this:

streets
All I want is you into streets
please into streets
bad into streets
running to stand still into streets

--------
one tease into streets
streets
----------
streets into walk on back to streets

take that, ya complainers!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"That's why i still love playing live in a rock'n'roll band. There's just this feeling of this thing could just about do anything..." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

Originally posted by tkramer:
Actually, they did! They came over to my house last night and played a travis kramer show list. It went like this:

streets
All I want is you into streets
please into streets
bad into streets
running to stand still into streets

--------
one tease into streets
streets
----------
streets into walk on back to streets

LOL mr. kramer!!! Wish I could of been there
biggrin.gif

I agree, but the complainers will find something to complain about. After all, that is what seems to make them happy. It is just beyond me how you can complain about seeing the greatest band in the world live!

Well Blue Room, the only way I see it is that if you give people what they ask for, they almost always ask for more. Take Dave Matthews Band for instance. I read a review of a chicago night 2 show of theirs and the fan was complaining because 5 or 6 songs were repeated from the night before. That means that 10 songs were different! (Dave only plays 15 to 17 songs on average 'cause they are all so long...) If U2 did that, someone would still complain...

Speaking as one who used to complain about U2's unchanging setlists, I think those who are upset aren't complaining about the lack of variety on the tour overall, they are complaining because from night to night, only one or two songs change.

Of course, this is not the way U2 does things, or will ever do things. They have their style which they've they've done throughout their entire 20+ year history. From night to night, they only change one or two songs, and keep the main setlist the same.

The funny thing about this arguement is that if U2 were changing the majority of their setlists every night, you'd hear people say "Man! I didn't get to hear (fill in the blank with a few songs from the night they missed)...I wish they would have played those at my show." For example, Pearl Jam is one of those groups that changes nearly the entire setlist from night to night. It is a totally different approach, you never know what you're going to hear. The nice thing about that is the surprise of the setlist each night. The bad thing about it is that you end up missing out on a lot of the songs you know other people got to hear! You usually end up saying "I wish I would have been at (fill in the blank) show".

My point is, those who complain, would STILL complain even if U2 took the Pearl Jam approach. The only way they'd be happy is if the band played every song off of every album in random order every night. Get over it people, and start appreciating what they do instead of what they DON'T do. I did......

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Speaking as one who used to complain about U2's unchanging setlists, I think those who are upset aren't complaining about the lack of variety on the tour overall, they are complaining because from night to night, only one or two songs change.

Of course, this is not the way U2 does things, or will ever do things. They have their style which they've they've done throughout their entire 20+ year history. From night to night, they only change one or two songs, and keep the main setlist the same.

The funny thing about this arguement is that if U2 were changing the majority of their setlists every night, you'd hear people say "Man! I didn't get to hear (fill in the blank with a few songs from the night they missed)...I wish they would have played those at my show." For example, Pearl Jam is one of those groups that changes nearly the entire setlist from night to night. It is a totally different approach, you never know what you're going to hear. The nice thing about that is the surprise of the setlist each night. The bad thing about it is that you end up missing out on a lot of the songs you know other people got to hear! You usually end up saying "I wish I would have been at (fill in the blank) show".

My point is, those who complain, would STILL complain even if U2 took the Pearl Jam approach. The only way they'd be happy is if the band played every song off of every album in random order every night. Get over it people, and start appreciating what they do instead of what they DON'T do. I did......

I totally agree with you. The shows on a nightly basis aren't radically different. I posted this for the folks who were complaining that the shows they saw on the third leg are not much different than the first leg. And the setlist shake up is very much a damned if you do and damned if you don't kinda thing...

Good point, but most of the setlist complainers embraced the Baltimore show. It was the first show of this leg where the setlist wasn't criticized. Before the Baltimore show the shows were 2-3 songs shorter, and were virtually the same as the shows in the first two legs with the exception of 2 non-U2 songs, and Angel and ISHFWILF. Personally, I am ambivalent about ANGEL. First, they have played it a lot on the acoustic stage. And second, (although there is not a U2 song that I don't love), if you were to polll 1000 U2 fans and have them rank all of U2's songs, I don't even think it would be in the top half. I think people were expecting a vastly different show as it was hyped on U2.com--that is what "the complainers" were reacting to. I do agree that the complaining gets a bit much, but that is what makes U2 fans great--they are PASSIONATE!!!

Back
Top Bottom