Why is UTEOTW a more classic song than the fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
retty damned cool.

I think the real question here is, does UTEOTW deserve to be on the "permanent" set list? I would argue no, as good as it has been for them.

No. It's been overplayed. Retire it and bring back something else. Same goes for Bullet.

UTEOTW is that good, that it doesn't need a chorus. That guitar riff, the solo, the climactic ending with all the guys playing the hell out of their instruments... nothing gets better than that. That's probably why it's my favorite U2 track.

But in no way does that take away from The Fly, which could very well be my number two. I only wish I had been a fan in '91 (and a bit older!) so I could listen to that for the first time like a lot of you did, seeing how completely different it was from anything the band had done before. Played or not played, The Fly still ranks as one of the band's best.

The Fly used to be my favorite U2 song... but my love for it comes and goes (I never dislike it). Now, however, I must say that Until the End of the World gives me bigger thrills and ranks waaaay up there

Because it gives Bono a chance to sing "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE,....." with arms spread while walking through the audience.

(gives me goosebumps everytime!)

I love UTEOTW and The Fly, but if I had to choose I'd choose The Fly.

I think UTEOTW is perceived as more classic U2 because of the religious/romance duality that is just classic U2. That's my guess anyway! :wink:

Until the end of the world is dull compared with the fly. Anyone who disagrees needs their ears checked:wink:

Until The End Of The World is more climatic, more dark, and I think it sums up the idea behind Achtung. Better song also.

a lot of similarities even if these two songs have a very different feel to them, UTEOTW seems much darker.

UTEOTW sums up everything they have done before (and after) musically and lyrically (including themes like love, abandonment, betrayel...the Fly sums up everything they have done on stage, in life, in public, politics, money etc.

Both deal with good vs evil.

Bottom line, it's the spiritual vs the tangible. There is no Fly without EoTW, or vise versa.

lazarus said:
I'm not saying I like The Fly better, but does it bother anyone that UTEOTW has no chorus? I guess every song can't have one, but would it have made a great song even better?

The Fly, by comparison, has a great chorus with the high/low voices.

There's so much great guitar fireworks it's hard to pick one. But I'll tell ya, when they brought The Fly back on the last tour it was pretty damned cool.

I think the real question here is, does UTEOTW deserve to be on the "permanent" set list? I would argue no, as good as it has been for them. Perhaps after sitting out one tour it would make a nice comeback.

laz

I'm not in love with the cd version of UTEOTW. When I go to the concerts I'm not on pins and needles waiting to hear UTEOTW.
But then they actually play the damn thing...wow.

I'm not sure any song deserves a permanent place in the setlist but UTEOTW and Streets are close.

Until The End of The World and Sunday Bloody Sunday are the only two songs I think should be permanent.

Considering the chorus discussion, I've always considered Edge's guitar as the chorus, but that's me.

Back
Top Bottom