why is U2 singled out??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by U2girl:
LOL!

What do you care what U2 critics have to say (especially if it's something as stupid as that?)

I don't care what they say because I will always love U2 but I was the only person with a U2 sig and to be spat upon because of it only made me want to go on a rampage about U2... And I had to try to make believers out of those jerks. In the end bands like Linkin park, limp bizkit, bad boy bill, and creed were bought up by them as the "best bands in the world." ::sigh::

Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
I don't care what they say because I will always love U2 but I was the only person with a U2 sig and to be spat upon because of it only made me want to go on a rampage about U2... And I had to try to make believers out of those jerks. In the end bands like Linkin park, limp bizkit, bad boy bill, and creed were bought up by them as the "best bands in the world." ::sigh::

This is just proof that video-gamers really need to get out of the house more. It makes ya wonder what they think sex really is... (hint - it's more than a box of tissues and a good site on the web).

Originally posted by doctorwho:
This is just proof that video-gamers really need to get out of the house more. It makes ya wonder what they think sex really is... (hint - it's more than a box of tissues and a good site on the web).

LOL, I like that- can I use that joke on the guys?! They'd be speechless!

I can answer this. It is based on incorrect assumptions but I have heard the reasons. Don't flame me, these are NOT MY opinions, only comments I have heard. They may just explain how your average idiot with a limited amount of knowledge of the band may draw such a conclusion.

x- Certain pics on the Achtung Baby Cover/inside art, plus the One drag video.

x-The rumor that One was about AIDS and a gay man not accepted by his father. Bono is in the drag video dressed as a woman. His father is also in it.

x- The Discotheque video. They were dressed as the Village People and making some kind of flaming moves and it made some people think they were gay or had gone gay.

x- The way they dressed during Pop, especially coming out of a giant lemon which in some Japanese folklore is a symbol for male homosexuality. Now think, four flamboyantly dressed men stepping out of a lemon- oh.

x-During Popmart they had a transvestite on a video screen, in a dress, penis swinging.

x-They have been known to frequent and hang out in gay bars.

x-they are vocal advocates of gay rights (not that there is anything wrong with that!)

We, being avid U2 fans, know better than this. We know Bono is happily married and has four kids. We know they are not gay, though we would not care if they were, they are not. But the casual fan, or the average idiot on the video game message board, has a very little bit of information compiled with rumors, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. They are wrong, but maybe we should just be glad U2 is so famous they are a household word and almost everyone knows who they are.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

[This message has been edited by Veranda (edited 01-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Salome:
I love Adam though

Too bad he's gay isn't it...LOL!!:p
No offence to the person who started this thread, but if the video game forum is what I think it is (Sitting around typing out messages expressing your outrage that Mr.X or Ms.Y haven't been killed by like everyone in the world for being stupid enough to miss the power-up in the middle of level 7) then is there any surprise that they would say something as educated as U2 is gay? I certainly see the validity of their point from a strictly scholarly perspective!(Sarcasm is hard to do online)

BTW, that whole thing about what happens on the videogame forums, maybe that's just the hardcore videogamers that I know, I do not mean to stereotype. If I did that I would be no better than them.

Originally posted by Veranda:
I can answer this. It is based on incorrect assumptions but I have heard the reasons. Don't flame me, these are NOT MY opinions, only comments I have heard. They may just explain how your average idiot with a limited amount of knowledge of the band may draw such a conclusion.

x-The rumor that One was about AIDS and a gay man not accepted by his father. Bono is in the drag video dressed as a woman. His father is also in it.

x- The Discotheque video. They were dressed as the Village People and making some kind of flaming moves and it made some people think they were gay or had gone gay.

x- The way they dressed during Pop, especially coming out of a giant lemon which in some Japanese folklore is a symbol for male homosexuality. Now think, four flamboyantly dressed men stepping out of a lemon- oh.

x-During Popmart they had a transvestite on a video screen, in a dress, penis swinging.

x-they are vocal advocates of gay rights (not that there is anything wrong with that!)

We, being avid U2 fans, know better than this. We know Bono is happily married and has four kids. We know they are not gay, though we would not care if they were, they are not. But the casual fan, or the average idiot on the video game message board, has a very little bit of information compiled with rumors, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. They are wrong, but maybe we should just be glad U2 is so famous they are a household word and almost everyone knows who they are.

But how much of this would a non-U2 fan even know?

------------------
"Shame on you! Ugly baby judges you!"

Perhaps these eejits have been reading the U2 section on ff.net too much and don't realize that slash is *fictional*...?

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Originally posted by Guy With The Stuff:
Too bad he's gay isn't it...LOL!!:p
No offence to the person who started this thread, but if the video game forum is what I think it is (Sitting around typing out messages expressing your outrage that Mr.X or Ms.Y haven't been killed by like everyone in the world for being stupid enough to miss the power-up in the middle of level 7) then is there any surprise that they would say something as educated as U2 is gay? I certainly see the validity of their point from a strictly scholarly perspective!(Sarcasm is hard to do online)

BTW, that whole thing about what happens on the videogame forums, maybe that's just the hardcore videogamers that I know, I do not mean to stereotype. If I did that I would be no better than them.

Hmm, the gaming board I go to isn't really geared toward small mindedness but there are people there that indeed have no lives so they spend it torturing people like me that simply enjoy videogames as a hobby- not a job or lifestyle. Its also a board that is used to talk about anything so on the subject of music these wanna be grunge kids practically hate any band that isn't whoever they consider cool. But some have given their small respect to edge for his talents.

I see the point but these people really don't care to watch or know anything U2 in the first place all they know is that the lead singer's name is Bono who talks too much and that there's this guy that always wears a hat but is wicked on guitar. They'd rather watch marilyn manson or snoop dog...

They're probably just stupid and heard one or more of those comments here or there and think they know something they don't. They have vaguely heard of them, but they have heard the wrong things. They must have heard something to think that, but they never heard enough to learn the real story of the band, and of course they don't care. They would rather listen to crap. Maybe you could start a rumor on some of their crap artists! No, U2 fans are above that! Just the same, my deepest sympathies you have had to deal with those dunces.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

I just think it's all perspective. When your a teen, anything that's peace and love (or old for that matter) never seems "cool". As you get older whether it be music, politics etc, your perspective changes as one can now see things in a different light especially since one has experienced life more. I know that was the case for me, I grew up on oldschool hip-hop but then came a point where I wanted more in music then what gangster rap had to offer - I found U2 (through Batman of all things )and it was another point of self-discovery.

Those teens amongst here that actually picked up the U2 vibe are just more sophisitcated then the norm
wink.gif

It's that simple.

They're probably just stupid and heard one or more of those comments here or there and think they know something they don't. They have vaguely heard of them, but they have heard the wrong things. They must have heard something to think that, but they never heard enough to learn the real story of the band, and of course they don't care. They would rather listen to crap. Maybe you could start a rumor on some of their crap artists! No, U2 fans are above that! Just the same, my deepest sympathies you have had to deal with those dunces.

Thanx, its really good to talk to you guys...having unique taste in music that I can share with people makes me feel oddly in place after a life of being a misfit. (I mean that in the most comical way)

------------------

I'm counting UFO's, I signal them with my lighter and in this moment I am happy...happy.

I'm just sipping on chamomile, watching boys and girls and their sex appeal.
AIM:fengche

Originally posted by Calvin N. Hobbes:
I just think it's all perspective. When your a teen, anything that's peace and love (or old for that matter) never seems "cool". As you get older whether it be music, politics etc, your perspective changes as one can now see things in a different light especially since one has experienced life more. I know that was the case for me, I grew up on oldschool hip-hop but then came a point where I wanted more in music then what gangster rap had to offer - I found U2 (through Batman of all things )and it was another point of self-discovery.

Those teens amongst here that actually picked up the U2 vibe are just more sophisitcated then the norm
wink.gif

It's that simple.

biggrin.gif
I'm sophisitcated! woo hoo!! Well I definitely know what yer talking about there when you said that you looked for meaningful music. I'm sure when the world's events get bad enough those guys go searching for music that preachs peace and love and maybe they'll stumble across U2 and see that they're needed in a world like this.

------------------

I'm counting UFO's, I signal them with my lighter and in this moment I am happy...happy.

I'm just sipping on chamomile, watching boys and girls and their sex appeal.
AIM:fengche

Originally posted by doctorwho:

huh?

Hey, I really really ENJOY playing video games, AND I love to go out of the house, AND I love U2, AND I enjoy other bands, AND I love a good movie, AND I can shake my ass on a dance floor, AND I love going to concerts, AND I'm married and have a great fucking sex life.

Granted there are videogamers out there that spend countless hours playing Diablo, Quake, Everquest, Sims, etc. etc.. It floats their boat, ok? Just as much as it floats some people's boats to trash people with different interests that don't involve liking U2 or spending countless hours on a U2 messageboard.

Note to PrincessBadGirl:: never change your sig, go against the grain of what's considered hip even though you may not like it, and be proud to represent U2 in all forums you frequent, and keep playing video games and chatting on gaming boards!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
huh?

Hey, I really really ENJOY playing video games, AND I love to go out of the house, AND I love U2, AND I enjoy other bands, AND I love a good movie, AND I can shake my ass on a dance floor, AND I love going to concerts, AND I'm married and have a great fucking sex life.

Granted there are videogamers out there that spend countless hours playing Diablo, Quake, Everquest, Sims, etc. etc.. It floats their boat, ok? Just as much as it floats some people's boats to trash people with different interests that don't involve liking U2 or spending countless hours on a U2 messageboard.

Note to PrincessBadGirl:: never change your sig, go against the grain of what's considered hip even though you may not like it, and be proud to represent U2 in all forums you frequent, and keep playing video games and chatting on gaming boards!
biggrin.gif

I believe that doctorwho was referring to the typical "gamer" stereotype: 12-24 (maybe older) single male who spend all his time playing violent video games often featuring anime style babes with proportions that are anatomically impossible that feed his fantasies.
The more immature stereotypical hardcore gamers tend to have musical tastes that also are more hardcore: rap or rock/rap. They will dis anything else just as many people on this forum dis rap and rock/rap. To each their own...

------------------
"Coke does not add life. It might be a nice fizzy drink but it does not add life." - Bono
"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit." -Larry
?This is when the band became Depeche Mode!? ? Steve Lillywhite plays some tracks that didn?t make it to the final cut of WTSHNN.

I was posting at a videogame message board today (I have a pic of U2 and a quote from kite as my sig) and out of no where these guys start totally calling U2 gay...and there's nothing else to it- they just say they're gay...I'm thinking what kind of prejudice is this, they didn't even say what exactly they disliked about the band just they're gay. Other people on the board have pics of Nirvana and other bands but U2 takes all the criticism for some reason. Is that what it means to be critically acclaimed??

I'm never changing my sig now!
biggrin.gif

One of the costs of being the only band that matters I suppose.
wink.gif

I've been pretty lucky actually. I'm a high school senior and all my friends either like, respect, or revere U2 (and I didn't even convert them!).

Hehe! Yeah, they suck! Isn't their lead singer's name Boner? hehe! It's a beautiful day! hehe. Why are they dress as girls in that video? They must be gay!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

LOL!

What do you care what U2 critics have to say (especially if it's something as stupid as that?)

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-17-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom