Why is 'The Hands That Built America' bashed so much here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Well it is post-2000's U2, and for different reasons this era gets bashed by a number of poster here"

:yes:

its a magnificent song, amazing really but it didn't make sense in the best of 90-2000 collection. Not including 'The Fly' or 'Lemon' is a fucking shame....even 'Mofo' should have made the cut
Thats what the 90's were for U2 right?
And those mixes were horrible, only 'Gone' could have been

:|

Nube Gris said:
its a magnificent song, amazing really but it didn't make sense in the best of 90-2000 collection. Not including 'The Fly' or 'Lemon' is a fucking shame....even 'Mofo' should have made the cut
Thats what the 90's were for U2 right?
And those mixes were horrible, only 'Gone' could have been

:|

Wow. We agree on something. The remixes, lack of Fly & Lemon (at least), and inclusion of ATYCLB-era stuff just ruined it. I adore Beautiful Day but it stands out on there like a honeymooners pecker.

ImOuttaControl said:
It could have been an incredible song with a little more work on the chorus. I guess the chorus just never really did the song justice IMO. This is one of those instances that would have benefited from a chorus that isn't sooooooo literal.

That's pretty much how I feel. It's a nice song esp. for the 'you gotta live with your dreams, don't make them so hard' line and 'the steel and glass canyon' imagery but otherwise it's pretty lackluster.

Nube Gris wrote: ...in the best of 90-2000 collection. Not including 'The Fly' or 'Lemon' is a fucking shame....even 'Mofo' should have made the cut
:up: this is the truth, i second that. but i think i have a big problem with most of their post2000 sound. i just don't like that kind of sound at all and THTBA is a great negative example for my own theory. there is something in it which i don't get.

Hee, we have The Fly on the Best of, over here. It is a bit tacked on the end but it's still there! I suppose cos it was no1 here.

Anyway I like 'Hands' as well. It's a really pretty song. I used to think it was just about America but if you listen to it, it's not really. I'm not American but I can appreciate it.

There's always someone to bash something here, just the way it is. ;)

Back
Top Bottom