Why is PopMart dissed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zoopop said:
Its hard to believe Pop was released in early March and the tour started in late April. I think thats bad for any band, especially U2 who had a huge world tour. MTV & VH1 were hyping up the Popmart tour. I was at the Vegas show and when they kicked into Mofo the crowd was :| The album had a strong buzz when it was released. It was #1 and people were into it. But the negative 1st leg reviews really hurt U2 and the Pop album. The press were on them.

Yeah, typically they release an album then wait a few months to tour. I believe Achtung Baby came out in November of 91 and didn't begin the tour until the end of Feb 1992.

Bono made the point that in Europe, there's pretty much just one or two main stations in each country, whereas in the US, you have a station for each genre, so people are less inclined to change out of their specific genre, and Pop sort of fell between the cracks for many fans.

It was ironic that The Joshua Tree was a celebration of things American & Popmart visually was mocking American consumer society (like you say U2lunatic). I liked the Warhol touch with the art like lemons & arch & the Pop album cover.

Back
Top Bottom