Why is it such a crime to be critical here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
roy said:

Do you really think that ATYCLB is better than HTDAAB? Or, as usual, are you just talking complete crap.

There virtually the same. I would rate them the same, they both have very weak tracks on them.....A man and a woman, Crumbs from your table, cobl.......wild honey, peace on earth, grace......Virtually the same. Its very different for the fans that got into U2 after Beautiful Day, this album is probably like when I was similar age and U2 released Achtung Baby, although I got into U2 when they released The Unforgettable Fire in 1984. For them new fans this is probably their Achtung Baby, but I know which album has far more relevance and importance in the world of music and which album is far better.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

There virtually the same. I would rate them the same, they both have very weak tracks on them.....A man and a woman, Crumbs from your table, cobl.......wild honey, peace on earth, grace......Virtually the same. Its very different for the fans that got into U2 after Beautiful Day, this album is probably like when I was similar age and U2 released Achtung Baby, although I got into U2 when they released The Unforgettable Fire in 1984. For them new fans this is probably their Achtung Baby, but I know which album has far more relevance and importance in the world of music and which album is far better.:wink:

:up:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Wrong. You're talking about people knowing U2, not if they're interested. It's hard not to hear about them, you know, they are pretty popular. Not just nowadays... One Tree Still was saying U2 are not so relevant to todays kids. And that is truth. I know very few U2 fans of my age (teenagers).

So, let me get this straight. You are a teenager, Axver is a teenager, there are hundreds of teenagers at this site, and the crowds at the Elevation shows that I saw were overwhelmingly made up of young people in their late teens and early twenties.
So from all of that we can logically say....that teenagers don't like U2? Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? If often seems that way.:shrug:

biff said:
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? If often seems that way.:shrug:

Could be. :wink:

No, seriously; sure if you take me, Axver and the young audience at the concerts you can see teenagers like U2 also, but U2 are the biggest band in the world at this moment, of course they'll have tons of any fans. Old and young. And Interference is the biggest U2 forum there is, there will sure be a bunch of teenagers. But statistically, teenagers (today) prefer other music, known as the mainstream. That's stupid but it's the current situation. :(

(count how many people over 50 are U2 fans in the world. It may surprise you...)

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

(count how many people over 50 are U2 fans in the world. It may surprise you...)

I never knew such a poll had been carried out, congratulations on your endeavours (above and beyond the call of duty I would say). So..what were your findings?

roy said:
So..what were your findings?

That he's a troll trying to wind up fans because he can't get over the fact U2 won't make whatever he wants.

See, that's the distinction here. Some people offer legitimate, reasoned criticism. Others just whine and troll because U2 are not making the music they demand they make (i.e. the nineties all over again). People need to get over their expectations and demands for once.

U2girl said:
Like others said, there is a difference between well thought-out critisism (think Michael Griffiths) and posting nothing BUT complaints about U2 on a daily basis.

Agreed. But what about well-thought out praise?

I wouldn't mind a forum requirement that all music criticism must be 'well thought-out' and devoid of facile judgments like 'U2 sold out,' 'Bono's voice sucks now that he's old,' etc.--AS LONG AS the same standards are also applied to praise. I can understand why someone who's taken the time to write an articulate, detailed critical analysis feels a bit tweaked when they get primarily responses of the 'Bono is the BEST singer ever! And Edge is the GREATEST guitarist in rock history!! And if you don't think so you can kiss my ass!!!" type (complete with sophomoric overuse of smilies, which for some reason seems endemic to this type of 'review').

Of course, the very idea that we (or the editors) could arrive at an agreed-upon set of standards to regulate such things is probably wildly unrealistic. And probably also antithetical to what Internet forums are truly good for, anyway: quickly dashed off, highly subjective prattle about ultimately insignificant topics. (Hey, it's why I'm here...)

I guess this brings me back to the usual best solution that someone always mentions: just disregard those stupid or juvenile posts which annoy you, and focus your replies on those posters who have something constructive to say. I'd like to think there's a better compromise available (especially since so many people really suck at disregarding what annoys them), but I can't think of a realistic alternative.

Axver said:

That he's a troll trying to wind up fans because he can't get over the fact U2 won't make whatever he wants.

See, that's the distinction here. Some people offer legitimate, reasoned criticism. Others just whine and troll because U2 are not making the music they demand they make (i.e. the nineties all over again). People need to get over their expectations and demands for once.

Yep maybe the 90's fans are disapointed....as much as the 80's fans are overjoyed by the new stuff. Someone said to me the other day while watching TV COBL came on, and this person said "Is that U2?" "I said yes, its off the new album" and they replied "mmmm thought that was an old track, sounds like unforgettable fire to me" and I kinda nodded in agreement, cos the song could definetly fit nicely on that album. Good 80's tribute band U2 are at the moment!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Yep maybe the 90's fans are disapointed....as much as the 80's fans are overjoyed by the new stuff. Someone said to me the other day while watching TV COBL came on, and this person said "Is that U2?" "I said yes, its off the new album" and they replied "mmmm thought that was an old track, sounds like unforgettable fire to me" and I kinda nodded in agreement, cos the song could definetly fit nicely on that album. Good 80's tribute band U2 are at the moment!:wink:

http://forum.interference.com/t114767.html

yep.

I don't think it's the right time to be as critical of HTDAAB as everyone is about ATYCLB because we've had ATYLCB for 4 years and HTDAAB for 4 months, and need muchneeded time for the album to completely sink in IMO

After a year, I'll have my true feelings for final on HTDAAB

Lancemc said:
I have no problem with people being critical about U2 and their music. That's what sparks the best discussions. What I do have a problem with are the rediculous, illogical, repetitive trolls that post on here.

Couldn't agree more. There's nothing better in a forum, than a passionate and well thought out discussion. That way we all getn our points of view across, and who knows, maybe we'll learn something from each other and all be a little more open-minded.

That's a good thing, to me. Or am I just getting old?

Dalton said:

You point me to the sarcasm thread, yes has a lot of relevance to my points? My points being that U2 are now sounding tired and old, even older than they look, which is saying something. Anyone see totp, god I was too embaressed to watch such a lame ass performance. Bono singing Karaoke to a backing track while Edge, Clayton and Mullen look deadly serious with their instruments pretending to play. Fuc#ing hell, U2 have become a parody of what they once stood for. Compare that to the DVD single LIVE version, which is great, and you think why the fuc# do they go onto TOTP in the first place. Either play the fuc#er live or just let them play the video for gods sake!

One Tree Still said:
Man, I can't believe the reactions of many of you to anything that is critical of the current music U2 is making.

Why can't long-time fans be disappointed with ATYCLB and HTDAAB? Why are those opinions instantly tossed out?

The FACT is, MANY long-time U2 fans are disappointed with where the band has ended up. Aside from some negative initial reactions to AB and POP - that seemed to subside once those albums were understood.

There is nothing to understand about ATYCLB - there's a shallowness that is apparent right away - and 4 years later, those who didn't like it, still dont. I think the same is true for HTDAAB. The depth is missing.

I still love U2 (despite the conclusions that many of you will immediately come to), but I'm afraid they're just not making GREAT music anymore. Gone are the days of spine-tingling riffs and complex, meaningful lyrics.

I'm glad I experienced U2 at their best when I was in jr high, high school and college - when music matters most to people.

Oh, my gosh! Somebody with balls. I couldn't agree with you more. I'd treat you to some brew for that post but I live in FL.

rjhbonovox said:
Are you from England? Can you speak English?:wink:

I'm not from England, but I've read your posts and I know that I speak/write it better than you.

Its pretty simple. You bitch about HTDAAB and say that it is repetetive (the 80's part 2) and then in the same breath lament the fact that U2 aren't still making albums like they did in the 90's. Surely, you can see it.

Dalton said:

I'm not from England, but I've read your posts and I know that I speak/write it better than you.

Its pretty simple. You bitch about HTDAAB and say that it is repetetive (the 80's part 2) and then in the same breath lament the fact that U2 aren't still making albums like they did in the 90's. Surely, you can see it.

Hey how can you say you speak better English than me? I'm from the land where the language was invented! I don't speak a slang version, I speak the Queen's English, amigo!:wink:

Geez.. surely its as simple as you like the album or you dont? I can accept someone making a point about hating the album. However, when they insist on making that point over and over again, doesn't it border on trolling?

As interference is a U2 fan website, surely most people can expect a biased opinion of the band. If your not a fan or hate the music what are you doing here???

Critisism (sp) is all well and good if its put in some sort of constructive manner. Most of the critisism (sp) I see is where people have expected something from U2 that was not deliverd. It does not make HTDAAB a bad album. Even if you do hate it, make your point and move on. Dont chew the f**King cud and regurgitate everything. This is interference!! Its a FAN SITE!!! if your not a fan anymore just f**K off!! geez..

MrBrau1 said:
Here is typical U2 criticism:

ATYCLB sucks. U2 sold out because Pop didn't sell well in the US.

HTDAAB sucks. U2 write songs to get played on the radio. They never used to want songs played on the radio. They sold out.

I agree with the typical U2 criticisms except for the 'U2 write songs to get played on the radio'. Yesterday, as I was changing radio stations, I heard 'Desire'! What a great song! To date, I have not heard a song from HTDAAB. I can't say I'm dissappointed.

Layton said:

I love being critical. Fans SHOULD be critical. The problem around here is that the ones who are critical have given criticism a bad name because they don't have a clue on how to explain their critiques. So they resort to riduculous statements and simple minded platitudes to express the disappointment in a song or album. Criticism is an awesome thing, but it also is very hard work to translate those kinds of thoughts in a legitimate way.

I wholeheartedly agree!!! :yes:

One Tree Still said:
I think there are many people here who think criticism = senseless bashing.

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

And don't even think about making a joke about anything U2 does or has done. That doesn't fly here either. :huh:

My suggestion is to post what you want and ignore all those who tell you how bad a fan you are (well, it is fun to tease them once in a while though. ;) ). But, anyway, welcome to the "You're not a fan! Get the fuck out of here!" club. :D

What I'd like to understand from those dissenters here is what do they want from U2?

rhjbonovox obviously thinks that "The Unforgettable Fire" is the bomb. I (as a blind follower) very much enjoy TUF, but I only think it's a so-so album. For every great song on it, there's more than a couple that have always sounded muddle and unfulfilled. And you know when that album came out I was a "teenager" and it was the first studio album I bought from U2. But I preferred "War" to TUF and I still do. I chalk that up to "PERSONAL PREFERENCE".

I don't come on this forum and try to convince you that my opinion is right, and if yours differs from mine then I have to tell you that you have a problem.

I don't write inflamatory prose and then get offended when someone post something just as inflamatory.

I always realize that while I have my personal favorites, and there is some stuff I can't stand (Passengers/Pop), but just because you like it I'm not going to call your fanship into question or state that I'm a better fan because of my PERSONAL PREFERENCES. What right do I have to do that?

And to One Tree Still, who claims that the High School crowd and younger don't pay attention to U2...didn't the band just sell 2.6 million copies of HTDAAB? Do you think the 25+ crowd were the only purchaser and listeners of that album? Just because the crowd you run with doesn't like U2 doesn't mean you can categorize a whole group of people.

I don't mind criticism about U2, but put some thought into it before you lash out. Some of the comments sound childish sometimes; these are not arguments: "U2 have stopped experimenting so they suck"; "U2 write pop drivel, so they suck." It's like there is really something these people want to say, but they don't know how to articulate it.

One Tree Still said:
I think there are many people here who think criticism = senseless bashing.

First, read your initial post. What you wrote is very harsh and I know many, myself included, disagree with it. If you are willing to make such a harsh statement on a fan site, then you have to be prepared to get challenged on it. To complain that we aren't accepting of criticism is a cop-out. You can't criticize and expect everyone to sing your praises.

While you are entitled to your opinions, many people who write negative comments seem to think that only their views matter. For example, you stated that U2 isn't even on teenagers' radars. That's clearly wrong. In your very, very tiny world, perhaps you know of some teens where this is true, but don't speak as is you you know all teens across the U.S.

Lastly, I've noticed that those who criticize seem unwilling to accept those who praise. We are "sheep" who accept everything. But if we dare say something negative about an album you adore, then clearly we are nuts. This may or may not apply to you, but that's usually the trend.

So if you want people to accept your criticisms, your best is needed. Explain why, but allow for differing opinions. Don't challenge people with banal comments like, "no way is this crap as good as XXX". Music is too subjective for such sentiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom