Why is it 'Original' Of The Species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Why not 'Origin' because origin means first, beginning and in the song Bono sings

"You are the first one of your kind... and you feel like no one before..."

So why is the song written like this?

It's a usage thing..."origin" means the point in time at which something begins, "original" means the one who is first of a kind.

Because this is Bono's way of "winking" at Charles Darwin, who in 1859 wrote the famous book, "Origin of the Species."

Bono's title is an evolution of Darwin's title. Get it?

I've come to the conclusion that "Original" is the best song on HTDAAB.

theu2fly said:
Why not 'Origin' because origin means first, beginning and in the song Bono sings

"You are the first one of your kind... and you feel like no one before..."

So why is the song written like this?

My take is: that your the first of "your kind" in the human race. You are unique. Theres no one like you. Sometimes thats exactly how you feel good or bad, theres no one like you or me.

A little off topic, but does anyone know if Bono believes in the theory of evolution? I have some Christian friends who do, and others who don't and prefer the creationism theory. I was wondering which Bono prefers. :hmm:

CTU2fan said:
I've come to the conclusion that "Original" is the best song on HTDAAB.

the best songs off every album since JT are the second to last songs! No exceptions!

I was worried when the tracklisting for ATYCLB came out, because it had When You Look At the World as the 2nd to last and that song was leaked to Liquid Audio way right after BD came out. I was all... "crap, this doesn't sound like it will be the BEST song on this album"
and then the revised tracklist came out... and it was New York!

Going back further:

Please
Dirty Day
Acrobat
Exit

(just my opinion, but I've said it since Zooropa and it's always been true! I have to admit that I didn't realize it about POP until I saw Please live at my first POPMART show and then it was obvious that my theory was still valid ;) )

Re: Re: Why is it 'Original' Of The Species?

JCOSTER said:

My take is: that your the first of "your kind" in the human race. You are unique. Theres no one like you. Sometimes thats exactly how you feel good or bad, theres no one like you or me.

"you feel like no one before", "first one of your kind" :yes:

@ the first "U2 girl/chilld" Holly. I don't think Bono was ripping Darwin off.

Last edited:
In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono mentioned that it originally started off as a song for the Edge´s first child, but then Bono twisited and eroticised it more.

I could be way off, but I wonder if it could also be talking about U2 being the original of the species or Bono himself. Considering that there had never really been anything like U2 before, especially a bunch of 40 year olds releasing such a strong album this late into their career.
I don´t know, WTF am I talking about??

It's a phrase Bono has used in more than 1 interview referring to U2 - saything that they are an original of the spieces (meaning rock band)

Back
Top Bottom