Why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
atyclb

ATYCLB is the album who made me a real U2 fan. When I listened to it for the first time i fell in love with U2. It was great UNTIL I went finding out the other ones. Now, I dont like too much ATYCLB, maybe Im tired of listening to it althought I dont think so, because I listen to achtung baby almost every day and I never get tired of it. ATYCLB is the most U2 commercial album ever. Too much pop, I want rock! I hope the next studio album will be a better one, they should take risks again and forget about sales, they dont care at this point of their career, it's all about music.

Thank you doctorwho for attempting to point out some of the double standard and hypocrisy on this board. :yes:

I think some of the people who hate ATYCLB so strongly are resentful of it, because it was more popular than Pop, and more fans liked it. I think SOME(<------note:SOME- don't everyone take offense now!)
fans here, like the one who started this thread, have a deep rooted hatred for ATYCLB because they felt it was U2 changing and getting away from what they liked and wanted the band to do.....kinda like MY deep rooted hatred and resentment for Pop because I felt the band had turned its back on me and betrayed the things I loved in them?! :eyebrow: Could there be a connection here? Could it be the same feeling, only coming from the opposite side? Just a theory, but I think so, and I hope some those who are so hard on me will consider this! ;)

Of course, one thing I don't have to resent is Pop being more successful:uhoh: Sorry, I know some of you hate me because I'm one of those fans who rejected POP and caused U2 to "get back to their true selves." But really, U2 will do what U2 wants to do, and I don't think they do any of it for a reason, other than the spirit moved them.:)

Good post Gypsyheartgirl!

I guess there's a time to experiment and a time to get organic. I thought ATYCLB wasn't overproduced, if you compare it to 90's U2 it's pretty organic sounding.

To everything there is a season. :)

You know, i really don't see why it's so inconceivable to get ATYCLB (or any other album) supported in the anti-album thread. I mean, it's not like it's possible to get just one side of the debate is it?

I think that U2 at its best has always been straight forward and pretty direct in its messages. ATYCLB is no surprise in that sense.

Also, consider the guys (ok Bono regarding lyrics) are 40+ now. As time goes on, it's inevitable that different things inspire his lyrics now than, say in AB time.

GypsyHeartgirl said:
But really, U2 will do what U2 wants to do, and I don't think they do any of it for a reason, other than the spirit moved them.:)

:up: Exactly, Gypsy. That's one of the reasons why I love and respect them so much!

dr.who to even begin to think that you arent perceived as the same things you called me is what makes this humorous for me.

gypsy and those other plebans that are trying to get under my skin are just miserable.

that has to be the best analogy ever used for anything in the history of the universe.

:lmao:

Re: Good post Gypsyheartgirl!

U2girl said:

Also, consider the guys (ok Bono regarding lyrics) are 40+ now. As time goes on, it's inevitable that different things inspire his lyrics now than, say in AB time.

Good point! If you look at the history of ALL great songwriters, even Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan and many more, this has happened. They are older, wiser, richer, maybe a little more mellow. But it happens. You can't give them back their youth, so just appreciate what age has given them. I'm sure they do.

people who like Pop more than ATYCLB do so because they like the songs more, not because they resent ATYCLB selling more records

and if you identify more with lyrics that are "older, wiser, richer" and "more mellow" than great for you, though I doubt many of you fit that bill since most people seem to be in their 20s or younger

and "true selves," what a load of ass, U2 were dark, provocative, sexy and ironic throughout the 90s, not just on Pop, so you must have thought they "abdoned" and "betrayed" you throughout the 90s

Last edited:
The Wanderer said:
people who like Pop more than ATYCLB do so because they like the songs more, not because they resent ATYCLB selling more records

and if you identify more with lyrics that are "older, wiser, richer" and "more mellow" than great for you, though I doubt many of you fit that bill since most people seem to be in their 20s or younger

and "true selves," what a load of ass, U2 were dark, provocative, sexy and ironic throughout the 90s, not just on Pop, so you must have thought they "abdoned" and "betrayed" you throughout the 90s

<shrug> Most of the artists I listen to are in their 40s or 30s. That doesn't prevent me from identifying with their songs.

I don't think that U2 weren't their true selves during the 90s, but Bono always made a point of them putting on masks and hiding behind them in order to say what they wanted to say.

And personally I get a feeling that many 90s fans feel betrayed by U2 because -gasp, shock- they dared to grow older and talk about growing older.

Time out. The problem here is the mentality in which people categorize albums and singles as either great songs in the pantheon of U2 or total crap. I agree that ATYCLB is not U2's best album, but certainly not their worst either. In my mind, there are 2 great songs on the album - Beautiful Day and Walk On, and five very good songs - Elevation, Stuck, When I Look at the World, New York, and Kite.

I agree that Peace on Earth, Wild Honey, Grace, and In a Little While are not classics that will be remembered the way Achtung and the Joshua Tree songs will be. I just look at it this way: POE is a reaction to an event type of song - it's not meant to be Sunday Bloody Sunday revisited. This time, rather than screaming about the horrific event, he just speaks to a beat. Wild Honey is a light, throwaway type of song - yes, a happy song. Grace is a great way to close ATYCLB, nothing more. In a Little While - this appreciation of this song varies by individual more than most U2 tunes. The whole Joey Ramone thing definitely changed my perception of it.

When I Look at the World is underrated. It reaches a beautiful crescendo at the end with the vocal and guitar solo. That alone raises it above many of the weaker songs on War and The Unforgettable Fire.
Stuck is a bit of pop, but it is done pretty well for that style.
NY is awesome - but I am biased because I grew up and live there. The haunting and ironic lyrics alone raise it up.
Kite has a soaring vocal, interesting theme, and solid guitar work. I don't think it is worth it to dissect the lyrics you don't like. The lyrics at the end are only part of a good overall song. Don't lose the forest in the trees.

As for the 2 great songs, don't even try to tell me that Beautiful Day is not in the top 10 U2 songs of all time. It easily fits in among their best work to date. And the single mix of Walk On is brilliant as well. It bleeds emotion.

AJ

Last edited:
First, I must get this off my chest: Wild Honey is not really a "happy" song. There's a real bittersweetness to it, and I can totally relate to the character in the song. It's not light bubble-gum pop by any means, and if people believe that, they are missing out on a beautiful song. As with much of ATYCLB, you really need to look deeper -- not into the music, but into how the music travels through you. There are things on ATYCLB that one has to make an effort to pick up on. Otherwise, yeah, I guess it would just be another "pop" record.

As for ATYCLB being commercial, I totally disagree. I have yet to hear anything on the radio that sounds remotely like it. It has a distinct sound, and not just a U2 sound. It has its own sound. I listen to it when I feel like shit, and it picks me up again, relaxes me. It's an understanding album, if there ever was such a thing.

I listen to Pop for totally different reasons that ATYCLB. Pop is excercise for the mind and soul. There's a lot to absorb, a lot of abstraction, detail, and fireworks. Listening to the entire album can be exhausting at times. Even for this reason, alone, I am happy we fans have both albums to choose from. Two totally different records, for totally different mental/emotional states. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I would also just like to add that the song-craft on ATYCLB is exceptional. Really, it is. I used to think the album was a bit dull, until it dawned on me that with songs like that, the album doesn't need much trickery. The first 7 songs on the record are amazing tunes -- including INALW, which is a personal favourite. ATYCLB might just be the first album that U2 genuinly could have a tough time following up, but I hope they manage to blow us away again. They usually find a way.

GypsyHeartgirl said:
I think some of the people who hate ATYCLB so strongly are resentful of it, because it was more popular than Pop, and more fans liked it. I think SOME(<------note:SOME- don't everyone take offense now!)

:confused: :shrug:

As for the 2 great songs, don't even try to tell me that Beautiful Day is not in the top 10 U2 songs of all time. It easily fits in among their best work to date. - HAWK269

My Top 25 (In no particular order)

1. One Tree Hill
2. Streets
3. With or Without You
4. Ultraviolet
5. Until the End of the World
6. Bad
7. Unforgettable Fire
8. Pride
10. October
11. The Fly
12. Stay
13. Acrobat
14. The 3 Sunrises
15. A Sort of Homecoming
16. I Still Haven't Found...
17. One
18. Dirty Day
19. All I Want is You
20. Heartland
21. God Part 2
22. Like a Song
23. Running to Stand Still
24. 40
25. New Year's Day

I could probably reel off 10-20 more before BD would cross my mind. "Always" would trump BD in my list.

Different strokes for different folks. That's all this is about.

One Tree Still said:

I could probably reel off 10-20 more before BD would cross my mind. "Always" would trump BD in my list.

Different strokes for different folks. That's all this is about.

:yes: BD was one of those songs that I loved right away, and I still like it, but it's lost some of its magic for me over time. I don't know that I'd put it in my top 20 either...

Beautiful Day is currently my favorite U2 song. I've been listening to it for almost 2 years now & I just don't get tired of it. It gets me going. I don't think it's an AC song either. It's great modern rock. Listen to the intro & subtle synths throught the tune. On the whole the song is similiar sonically to UF IMO, which is great, but those little keyboard touches & the clarity remind me of Zooropa. BD is definitely on my Top 5 all-time U2 list. :yes:

Last edited:
I'm not so much one of those that wishes U2 would produce some relaly rocking hard guitar driven rock... well I do, acutally. BUT. There is a lot of slow music like trip hop and chillout and stuff that I really really enjoy, and, more importantly, is cutting edge and adventerous and not derivitavely poppy.

What I'm really trying to say is that there is a huge difference between "selling out" and writing generally slow songs.

However, that said, I don't find atyclb very adventurous. Which is disappointing for me.

I think BD and Walk On have already stood the test of time. I hadn't listened for awhile, but when I did they were good again. I think they will hold up in the future.

There has been some criticism of ATYCLB for its track order such as Stuck In A Moment being the second song. The original track order was :

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
Peace On Earth
Kite
New York
In A Little While
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
Grace

Some people feel that the album has too many slow paced and mid tempo songs. This version of Electrical Storm may only be a demo version. In a way it sounds like Summer Rain let loose. Now that we?ve heard Electrical Storm would people like to have seen it on ATYCLB ? And how would people make some other changes ?

Beautiful Day
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
Walk On (Hallelujah Mix)
Kite
Electrical Storm (Final Version)
New York
In A Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
Falling At Your Feet
Grace

Stuck In A Moment ? Peace On Earth - Summer Rain ? Stateless ? Always ? Big Girls Are Best ? Don?t Take Your Guns To Town

SkeeK said:
I'm not so much one of those that wishes U2 would produce some relaly rocking hard guitar driven rock... well I do, acutally. BUT. There is a lot of slow music like trip hop and chillout and stuff that I really really enjoy, and, more importantly, is cutting edge and adventerous and not derivitavely poppy.

What I'm really trying to say is that there is a huge difference between "selling out" and writing generally slow songs.

However, that said, I don't find atyclb very adventurous. Which is disappointing for me.

I agree with you completely here Skeek and with what you initially said too, I sitll tot his day do not own a copy of ATYCLB, I have all the songs on mp3 but that whole cd does nothing for me at all, I like bits of New York- Edge's guitar kinda reminds me a bit of ambience that is found on the Unforgettable Fire and Beautiful Day is not to bad and Elevation was cool but the only stand out song for me was Walk on- which I bought a single off but overall the album sucks by U2s standards, to me that is and stuck is one of the most adult contempory, easy listening songs I have ever heard, I like the lyrics but the song does nothing for me really......anyway just my opinion:)

Zoomerang96 said:
dr.who to even begin to think that you arent perceived as the same things you called me is what makes this humorous for me.

But the difference is, for you, reading one of my posts is clearly sheer delight. In contrast, when my eyes happen to have the misfortune of reading one of your banal rants, I have to wash my eyes for days and then bang my head repeatedly to forget the horrid, horrid words you wrote. :banghead:

Other than that, I love you Bear. :love:

SkeeK said:

Yeah, but Bono kept rambling on and on about this new record being so rock and roll. And then it wasn't. That was disappointing. :(

Back
Top Bottom