Why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember that interview with Bono..........so it goes for anyone in the public eye...not everything you do will be loved by everyone.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i can't speak for everyone, but i think it's too adult contemporary for them. and as for the purpose of this thread, it's for us who don't love atyclb to death to discuss why not. if this had been, say, an anti-pop thread, the same people that are trolling this thread would be calling us trollers if we dared to post about how much the album rocked. how hypocritical.

???????????????????????
Troller????
Did you read my thread? I never even said whether I liked ATYCLB or not. All I said was the band is the best judge of their work. Not us

Hypocritical?? about what? I didnt call anyone names or say anything nasty?

Honestly, YOUR post seems a bit hypocritical to me. I didnt realize the thread was exclusive to those who dont like ATYCLB. I must have snuck by the password protection on this thread for the passwords given only to the ATYCLB stinks fans!

Last edited:
I think it's a great album...the lyrics are written on more of an observational level, without a lot of the poetic elements that were found on AB and Pop. Even Adam said something to the effect that Bono was writing on more of a real scale, without being too poetic about it. Achtung Bubba was dead on...the album's theme was about mortality and the realization of it...perhaps even to the extent of the band's own fragility. It's amazing in it's own right, I believe it truly does stand the test of time.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i can't speak for everyone, but i think it's too adult contemporary for them. and as for the purpose of this thread, it's for us who don't love atyclb to death to discuss why not. if this had been, say, an anti-pop thread, the same people that are trolling this thread would be calling us trollers if we dared to post about how much the album rocked. how hypocritical.

Khanada, I know what you're saying. It annoys me as much as anybody when someone comes into an appreciation thread and rains on everybody's parade. But based on what One Tree Still said in his original post, it seemed like this thread was meant to start a debate, not just provide a forum to express their dislike for the album:

Originally posted by One Tree Still
Okay, so you can see why I think this album sucks by U2 standards. Of course, I know that many of you love this album, but I don't and I just explained why.

Why would he address those who like the album if he didn't expect us to respond? I think the debate has been pretty civil so far. Why not just let it continue. :)

Last edited:
*Wolverine* said:
???????????????????????
Troller????
Did you read my thread? I never even said whether I liked ATYCLB or not. All I said was the band is the best judge of their work. Not us

Hypocritical?? about what? I didnt call anyone names or say anything nasty?

Honestly, YOUR post seems a bit hypocritical to me. I didnt realize the thread was exclusive to those who dont like ATYCLB. I must have snuck by the password protection on this thread for the passwords given only to the ATYCLB stinks fans!
the part where i was mentioning trollers wasn't directed at you. i was just saying the purpose of the thread, not calling you a troll. i thought your post was actually rather neutral, which was a good thing.

however, there is no need to start being all bitchy about it. what about my post is so hypocritical? by merely restating what the mods have been saying all along? all threads are open to everyone, but that doesn't mean everyone has to read EVERY thread. if i were reading, say, lemonade stand, and saw a thread called "n sync rocks!! all right man they're my favourite band!!" i'm going to avoid it, since i don't like them.

All reports indicate that U2 love ATYCLB. Thats all that matters. - Wolverine

Then why does U2 release any of their records to the public?

Of course it matters to them how the public views the record. They gauge their relevance in the industry by the sales and reviews of the album, like any mainstream artist does.

I would say U2 generally likes all of their albums or they wouldn't release them.

However, I think this one sucked pretty bad for my taste.

One Tree Still said:

Then why does U2 release any of their records to the public?

Of course it matters to them how the public views the record. They gauge their relevance in the industry by the sales and reviews of the album, like any mainstream artist does.

I would say U2 generally likes all of their albums or they wouldn't release them.

However, I think this one sucked pretty bad for my taste.

Come on, why do they release them to the public?? They are earning a living. At least have a point when you say something like that. Under your theory every song they have written should have been released. Well obviously they have albums and albums worth of material they never released that alot of us probebly would have enjoyed. So why didnt they release that stuff? Because THEY were not happy with it. As far as sales, Bono has said many times that is not the key to them continuing and making music. I know it is a business but they are not going to put out something they dont like.

So I guess that what you are saying is that U2 should do what YOU want. So my opinion on ATYCLB? I dont think it is their best work. But to say it "sucks" does seem a bit extreme. I dont think any U2 album "sucks" (except maybe Passengers LOL ;) ) some are better than others however.

I would rather U2 do what they feel like they want to over having them make something to make others happy and hate it themselves. Because that will be the beginning of the end or the end of U2. The worst album by U2 is 90% better than most crap out there now IMO. So I just want them to make music they are happy with so we all continue to get new U2 and more tours. THAT is all I was pointing out.

it's a very 'pop' album, not pop like Britney, but pop like maybe Lenny Kravitz as the original post said. Very unrisky and somewhat boring. This is an album of 'songs' liek Bono said before it came out. It's an album full of songs that are easy accessible. Some people would love Bono farting in a microphone, if they were convinced he thought it sounded good.

It's a good album, not great, but the thing is,y've already made 7 great albums, the bar is set pretty high.

Also they are all in their 40's, probably mellowing out a little, the music they make is indicative of the music they listen to probably. I love them now as I always have, but I don't expect music like they made 10-15 years ago. All I expect is that they don't sell out to get played on the radio, and they are walking that thin line. I think the next record will kick some ass, at least I hope so. I am banking on Electrical Storm to restore my faith in the fact that they aren't trying to appeal to the masses, even though I know they are.

*Wolverine* said:
He said that it shows you cannot please everyone and that the most important thing is that U2 are happy with what they are doing.

:yes: Very true. As long as they remain true to themselves, that's all I really care about.

*Wolverine* said:

So I guess that what you are saying is that U2 should do what YOU want. So my opinion on ATYCLB? I dont think it is their best work. But to say it "sucks" does seem a bit extreme. I dont think any U2 album "sucks" (except maybe Passengers LOL ;) ) some are better than others however.

I would rather U2 do what they feel like they want to over having them make something to make others happy and hate it themselves. Because that will be the beginning of the end or the end of U2. The worst album by U2 is 90% better than most crap out there now IMO. So I just want them to make music they are happy with so we all continue to get new U2 and more tours. THAT is all I was pointing out.

Yeah, I'm with you. ATYCLB, imho, isn't their best work, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it "sucks."

Yep, you're right. I think if U2 made albums just to make other people happy, it wouldn't be nearly as genuine.

I want to pose a question to all of you too...I remember before ATYCLB was released and even shortly after, people were raving that the band had "returned to their roots." I didn't understand that then and still don't today. How is ATYCLB "returning to their roots"? :confused: :huh:

I see your points Wolverine, but I am not in the boat that thinks "whatever makes U2 happy makes me happy".

Some of you need to understand that it is okay for people to not like a U2 song, record or era. We are still fans of the band.

When I say ATYCLB sucks, I am saying it sucks in comparison to their other work -- and as a figure of speech. I am not putting their talent down because I sing horribly worse than Larry, play guitar far worse than Bono and can only drum with one hand. I've never even picked up a bass.

It's just my personal opinion that U2 took a bit of a nosedive on this record.

Perhaps my viewpoint is augmented by all the trash talking (which I typically love) Bono did before and during the release of the record about how they were going to blow the Boy Bands and pop records off the charts with a true Rock and Roll album.

Maybe I was expecting a rock and roll album and didn't get it?

One Tree Still said:
I am not putting their talent down because I sing horribly worse than Larry, play guitar far worse than Bono and can only drum with one hand. I've never even picked up a bass.

:lol: Aw, c'mon, Larry doesn't sing THAT bad...:laugh:

Maybe I was expecting a rock and roll album and didn't get it?

Ahhhh...I see your point. Still, though, I wouldn't go as far as to say that ATYCLB "sucks." I dunno...I just don't like that word associated with U2 at all.

But don't misunderstand me. I'm not chastizing you for your opinion. :wave:

unlike the author, I love "Beautiful Day" and think it's one of their best songs, and "Kite" and "New York" are flawed but they work out ok for me; I don't care for "Grace" though (the song that is) or "Peace on Earth," but I agree with most everything else you said

Bonochick said:
ATYCLB is my favorite U2 album though...I treasure it. It's the album that saved my life. :)

It's not my favorite U2 album (that goes to Achtung Baby), but it definitely saved me as well, as I was going through some bad changes in my life when it was released.

I don't think I'm alone when I say it also helped many deal in some small way with the events last September.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

It's not my favorite U2 album (that goes to Achtung Baby), but it definitely saved me as well, as I was going through some bad changes in my life when it was released.

I don't think I'm alone when I say it also helped many deal in some small way with the events last September.

Ditto everything you said.

Beautiful Day i think is one of U2's best. Those opening bars are I think some of U2's most beautiful and entrancing yet. Its magical and personally for me is a song which brought me a lot of happiness and means a lot.
I also have a very personal love of Kite and emotionally I think the album has a lot to offer.
I don't rank it even im my top 5 but I do think there are many good songs on it.
Wild Honey and Grace I find dull and even iritating. I skip them always.
I think the way to judge any album against others it to compare it to how often you play it.
ATYCLB disappointed me because Im from the old school of fast rocknroll, guitars and big noise, not the melodic slow tunes that ATYCLB is themed around.
GASP...I don't rate Walk On as one of the best either.

what makes things even worse is that adam said their are a bunch of real poppy songs left over from the sessions that he knows will be released one day.

stuff it in a sack and send it to the wolves at pleba.

we want rock. you say your the best rock and roll band THEN DELIVER.

bono stop acting like an ass.

thank you.

I was hoping that he meant songs from the Pop era when he said there are more "pop" songs left over, I listen to the Pop-era "big girls are best" more than 75.2% of ATYCLB

Bono will never write a controversial or cynical political song again, at least not while he's kissing the ass of world leaders for cash

well, while i dont think it sucks the big one, actually i think Id have to say I like it least of all the U2 albums right now. but I do love Walk On, Kite, When I Look at the World, Peace on Earth, New York, and Grace. the rest of the songs i like but they are not too special for me. I am sure in time i will come back to this album because I did love it at first. and I really appreciate the message they tried to bring on ATYCLB (sorry deathbear), i thought it was kinda brave to try to pull that off.

i do wish that they would do something more like Zooropa and Unforgettable Fire now that they have that out of their systems though. those two albums are timeless classics, they stand out and I can never get enough of either of them.

Haha...

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
As much as I don't want to perpetuate any Pop argument, I have to come out in support of Sicy here. I think it needed to be said and I'm glad she did.

And for the record:

POP rocks and so does ATYCLB. Wait, am I allowed to like both??? ;)

Yeah, you can. ;).

Personally, I like ATYCLB as well. The first four songs off that album that were played on the radio and had videos for them...I liked those right off the bat, and then I downloaded some of the other ones and liked those, too (actually, "In A Little While" I heard on a radio station...I personally adore that song, it's one of my absolute favorites off that album).

I'll admit, the first time I heard "New York" or "Grace", I was thinking, "Eh...".

But the more I listened to them, the more they grew on me, especially "Grace".

And I'll admit, maybe some of the lyrics on this album aren't exactly mind-blowing, but I don't think every song has to have lyrics that make you go, "Whoa...did you hear that line?". Some songs can have just plain lyrics and the song may still be good because those plain lyrics work for that song. There's many songs I've heard in which the lyrics may be simple...hell, I could probably write lyrics like those if I wanted to...but I love the song anyway, just 'cause it's simple and to the point and that's that.

I noticed a few complaints about "Peace On Earth" not being a favorite because it's got the whole thing with a social issue and all that. Once again, I personally love it when Bono gets into political or social topics in songs, but that's just me...*shrugs* (what can I say, I like guys who speak their minds in any way they can :D).

Maybe this is one of those albums where people may not care for it at first, or parts of it at first, but then they listen to it again and the album warms up to them.

But for those who truly don't like this album, you're certainly entitled to your opinions. You have your reasons why you don't like this album, I have my reasons for why I do, as do the rest of the people who like this album. And I definitely believe that you can be a fan of a band and not like everything they do and critique some of the things they do.

I don't think we all need to start jumping down each other's throats just because we disagree about an album. We just need to chill out.

Angela

I like political songs like NYD and SBS, or Bullet... Like a Song, Seconds, Fire, Surrender, Pride, but not POE, it's a nice thought and I actually liked it at first, but it doesn't hold up musically and the lyrics really don't make much of a statement

If ATYCLB was a weak,light, pop-ish, and sucked (as compared to other U2 albums) U2 should retire now.Stop wasting out time U2

I confess I haven't been bothered reading all four pages of this, and I have said things to this effect before, but I haven't been here in a while, and this is partly why.
One Tree Still and others, I am SO glad that I'm not alone in my opinion of ATYCLB. While I appreciate Roland's commiserations for my loss, and would have liked to love ATYCLB, I have never got into it. With every other U2 album, I have loved it at some point. Maybe not right away, but at some point, I got it. It reached me. Maybe the reason ATYCLB missed me is because I'm 23 years old, know nothing of relationships and don't have kids, and have not lost anyone to tragic circumstances (thankfully), so I have no point of common reference. Zooropa took forever to get to me, but I got it, and now it's one of my favourites. I loved Pop the first time I heard it. I went through a stage when I could not get Boy out of my CD player. October contains a song which I can say is one of the first U2 songs I fell in love with. The other thing that hooked me into U2 was R&H, video and CD. Exit is my favourite song.
The best track on my copy of ATYCLB is TGBHF, and as we all know, it doesn't really belong there (plus Mr Rushdie wrote the words).
The fact is, I haven't been around the forum for a long time because, among other RL things, I never got ATYCLB. It's been 2 years, as you say, and I haven't listened to it for 12 months, perhaps. Maybe a little less. I'd like to turn the radio off every time I hear Stuck.
You might say I'm in danger of losing my faith.
What happnened guys?
Maybe if they had got to Australia with the tour, I would have understood it live. But that didn't happen. I don't get it. I'm afraid of disappointment with the new one now, since ATYCLB was the first album released since I became a fan, and so the first album hype I lived through. To have those kind of hopes dashed sucks, and right now, I don't give a rats arse what the new single/album is like. I'll buy it... I'll buy the single if it's good. A couple of years ago I was D/Ling bits of BD and drooling with anticipation over the singles releases... I got two of everything until Walk on came out and I lost interest.
The lost potential is what really annoys me about that album.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. I'm glad many of you love ATYCLB, I realise it has helped a lot of you through hard times. I just don't get it.

Sorry again.

BTW, that's a very good point, Wanderer... It's a shame though. Although I suppose Bono figures he's got more chance of making a positive difference if he kisses world leader arse than writing incisive angry political lyrics, but the world's gain is music's loss.

I respect other peoples opinions if they don't care for ATYCLB but I love the record.I think the lyrics are honest and has meaning for a lot of people universally speaking!Its not supposed to sound like any other u2 record.Every record u2 has made sounds different from the last and takes the listener someplace different.This is just my opinion but I love it!Some of the strongest lyrics Bono has written!:heart:

u2sangel said:
I respect other peoples opinions if they don't care for ATYCLB but I love the record.I think the lyrics are honest and has meaning for a lot of people universally speaking!Its not supposed to sound like any other u2 record.Every record u2 has made sounds different from the last and takes the listener someplace different.This is just my opinion but I love it!Some of the strongest lyrics Bono has written!:heart:

You're right! This record was awesome, and the meanings it took on along the way, after 9/11 and the deaths of Mr. Hewson, Joey Ramone and others was very heavy. This was not only a good record, it was an important one. I cherish ATYCLB!

Since you can't please all the fans all the time, it is best for them to do what they feel and what's in their hearts. This album had a lot of heart, and if it doesn't touch your heart, maybe yours is a bit too hardened. There will always be fans who don't like this or that album, that's going to happen with album and every band. Enough fans gave this one the thumbs up to prove it was loved. BTW, is there some significance to Wolverine's location? :shifty: :ohmy:

Last edited:
Well, I dont agree that ATYCLB "sucks" but it is good to see that for the most part this type of discussion has remained civil.

I was really into ATYCLB all of last year. Havent listened to it much lately. But I have gone through this with every single U2 album. I'am sure I will go back to it at some point and enjoy it.

I dont think it is their best album. But it is a very good album and certainly does not deserve to be categorized as "sucking".

Actually I dont really even listen to studio albums at all right now. All I listen to is Elevation bootlegs. I have to say some of my favorite songs to hear live are Kite, Elevation, Walk On and Beautiful Day. So I think that says something about the album.

Anyway, good debate. I hope we can be this civil when the setlist threads hit again on the next tour!!! ;)

I had to put in my two cents because, I, too, had a hard time getting into ATYCLB and was disappointed. I felt it was missing the "U2 drive". So many people love it, though, so I usually keep my mouth shut.

I will say, though, that Beautiful Day is in my top five favourite songs. Last August I was married and we did our recessional out the church to Beautiful Day and it was incredible.

I also like "New York". Edge's guitar rifts are hard and driving and it's the only sound that links them to the AB era in my opinion. The rest of the album is kind of light and washed out. It doesn't suck, but I'll throw AB or Pop in my CD player over ATYCLB anyday.

Maybe I'm just stuck in the 90's, because for all the controversy, I loved the nineties album (with Zooropa my least favourite of the three).

ATYCLB was the first album in their third decade of being rock stars, so I can appreciate their attempt at a new flavour. On the whole, it was successful for them, so that's not a bad thing.

im in agreeance

in many ways your annoyance towards this album rings true with me as well

for me i think this album is mediocre and has left the band open a loose end up for harsh criticism for music purists and especially rock purists

for one it seems that when bono chose to delve into the pop-rock business because they wanted to compete against the likes of britney spears, nsync, limp bizkit, oasis and to grab a slice of the mainstream, the whole concept of u2 went out the window

wasnt it bono who said: 'rock and roll gives us a chance NOT TO grow up'? and unfortunately this record showed that the four boys were showing their wrinkles- big time! ATYCLB was like erk... it resembled an Eagles record, or at times, a celine dion record, because it felt like easy listening to adult contemporary, unadventurous cobbled up shambles bullshit

ok it sold copies and in many ways a few people here think it meant so much to them, but for me (i take my music hardcore!) this became 'just another cd' in my large collection

there was no album structure, just a whole bunch of singles, and some of those tracks were incredibly weak (eg wild honey, in a little while, peace on earth, new york, stuck in a moment) as 'their attempt to go backwards in order to go forwards' sounded ridiculous and hideously dated

for one the album rests in my album collection alongside coldplay parachutes as albums i never pick up anymore simply because there is nothing left to absorb on those songs

i guess theres always time to fix things up

Back
Top Bottom