Why I don't think u2 should list the names of the victims of the tragedy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I was wondering if they were going to do this, as it is a very U2 thing to do. And it finally happened, in Hamilton last night. I take what U2 does very seriously because I know they believe in everything they do. And it's hard for me to realize this but I'm uncomortable with what they are doing- maybe I'm wrong but this is my gut reaction.

I think it is too emotional to put people through by listing the names during One/Walk On- songs that are incredibly emotional anyway. People know what happened in NY. Everyone is outraged over it, and steps are being taken to prevent this from ever happening again, people are changing their ways even in their own lives. I think it's different from other tragedies in the sense because we ARE aware of it (whereas admitably we might not be aware of tragedies that happen in other countires).

A U2 show in itself is a very emotional experience and I just think being reminded of this tragedy in such a way really would be very difficult witness. Anyone from Hamilton agree? I know Mrs. Edge said she was in tears.

In no one do I mean this as dissrespect for anyone touched by the tragedy- by however many degrees of separation. That's not what I'm saying. Maybe even a image of the American flag - I know Bono hugged one that night in Hamilton and showed a picture of one from Notre Dame. But imo, I think it's too much to see those names listed.

------------------
Love is a temple
Love the higher law

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--All New!

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
A U2 show in itself is a very emotional experience and I just think being reminded of this tragedy in such a way really would be very difficult witness. Anyone from Hamilton agree? I know Mrs. Edge said she was in tears.

I wasn't in tears, but I'm not an overly emotional person.

I can tell you that if you're in the front (right up against the stage), you can't really see the names. I was between Bono and the Edge and I couldn't really see any of the names flashing behind the Edge's side of the screen. The effect probably had more meaning to the people who could see the screens, but I couldn't really.

Yeah possibly a bit of a close call and causing more distress I am sure would not be the intention, more one of respect but yeah questionable about whether it was maybe the right move in retrospect.

Being on the floor, it took me a little while to be able to see what was on the screens. But once I did, I was in immediate tears and cried until the end of the show.

It's exactly what I expected at the show, and what I went to it to do. I needed that release. For me it was the funeral. I believe wholeheartedly in U2's spirituality and have a strong connection to how the group interprets situations. I appreciated the understated tones of the show and how it related to the sept.11th attacks. I especially found it odd how one of the only names I saw clearly was Jeremy Glick's. That one story is very personal to me due to similarities in our lives.

All I kept screaming at the end of the show was "Thank You"!!!! The band's Hamilton show was the wake and funeral I needed. Bono wound up giving us another genuinely felt experience.

Just my experience...

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

I had a few tears over this, it was very emotional, but I was glad they did it. I thought it was a respectful thing to do.

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

I actually feel the same way as Olive ..... although we all know this is done with the absolute best intentions, and is a sign of respect and remembrance, for me personally it's just TOO MUCH and too upsetting. I'm glad many people have found it a release and appreciate the gesture, but I don't want to finish a U2 show sobbing, which is what I suspect my reaction will be to seeing those names.

Olive, we'll just have to get up close to the stage so we can't see the screens! Sounds like a good solution to me.....

I cringe a bit during that part also, and I'm not sure how well it will fly in New York (I think it will probably be well-received but who knows).

But that bothers me a lot less than bringing the firemen on stage at Notre Dame. I thought that bordered on being too opportunistic, or almost political - especially parading around the heart with them - like the President bringing Michael Jordan to the White House lawn after winning a championship - a political move to associate oneself with a winner. It may not have been meant that way - Bono is quite politically astute but occasionally his judgement does fail him in terms of how far to go with his gestures.

However, I must absolutely salute him for having the guts to go on stage in America and ask the crowd to think about the women and children being bombed in Afghanistan. I'm interested to see how he approaches the issue in New York.

I think it's a very hearfelt thing for them to do. They care so much, and this was their way of honoring the victims. I was in tears both nights, but like someone else said, it was a release I needed.

------------------
Proud Owner of Larry's Stick!!

~*April*~
(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

Thanks for everyone's responses. It's interesting to hear people's perspectives of it after having been at the show- as a release and emotional support, which for me was that tribute to heroes U2 performed on. It'll be interesting to see how I'm affected when I see in, since they didn't do it in Montreal. But I still think for me it's a lot to take. But I agree about that part of U2's spirituality, and that is so much of what their shows and band is about.

VelvetDress, of course you are right. Up close maybe I can avoid seeing the words, although we both know Bono's voice singing those songs when he knows what is going on is just as emotionally wrenching! Maybe Larry can pass me a tissue....
wink.gif

smile.gif

------------------
Love is a temple
Love the higher law

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--Updated w/ new song!

Chicago-1, I was inside tip of the heart and when I saw it, it put me in tears, but it was touching. Chicago-2, I was near the stage on the left. I was expecting it that time, but found myself watching the names scroll anyway, and I was sort of reverent. I don't see a problem with it at all.

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

I can't make a well-informed comment about listing the names, as I haven't seen it live yet -- I haven't seen it in context.

But I will say that it's like naming names in "Peace On Earth" or listing the names on the Vietnam War Memorial. It reminds us that it wasn't just the loss of thousands of human lives, but of individual lives -- mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, husbands, and wives.

Originally posted by sv:
But that bothers me a lot less than bringing the firemen on stage at Notre Dame. I thought that bordered on being too opportunistic, or almost political - especially parading around the heart with them - like the President bringing Michael Jordan to the White House lawn after winning a championship - a political move to associate oneself with a winner. It may not have been meant that way - Bono is quite politically astute but occasionally his judgement does fail him in terms of how far to go with his gestures.

I was there, and it didn't seem like political opportunism.

It was a chance to celebrate and thank those heroes who risked their lives so that others would live.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

But I will say that it's like naming names in "Peace On Earth" or listing the names on the Vietnam War Memorial. It reminds us that it wasn't just the loss of thousands of human lives, but of individual lives -- mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, husbands, and wives.

Perfectly said, Bubba!

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

I think it was great what they did with the names. Yes, it's very emotional - but U2 are the perfect band to do it. Any other band, and it will come off as almost disrespectful. I was totally amazed and the people that went with me were too (they were first time goers) and instead of tears, there were cheers as the names were scrolling down. Bravo U2.

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" The greatest lesson you'll ever learn - is to love, and be loved in return" - David Bowie

"Hey John Lennon ! We don't need your help." - Bono

Carrie,

Well, you have very good points and I can't say that you are wrong for feeling that way about it.

However, I did attend the Hamilton show, was inside the heart (right with anitram) and I got a good view of the scrolling of names. It was very moving to me. Did I think it was unnecessary? No. Did I think some people may have become rather emotional looking at it? Yes. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on the person, it's all very subjective.

I don't know. I'm from NY (not NYC but it's still my state and myf friends and family work near the WTC) and to me, it was just an overwhelming feeling to see that. It was a very quiet gesture. I had been waiting to hear what Bono had to say about it, if he was going to mention anything. But first off, Bono didn't talk much in Hamilton, and secondly, I think this did any better than any words from him could have said.

Ugh, I'm probably not expressing myself quite well.

tania

I went to the NY show on 10/25 and what I could tell you was that it truly was an emotional moment. While playing "One" they showed the names on the screens and the names projected onto the audience. There were tears and cheers. People seemed to think this was a nice gesture and really touching. Everyone was singing that song so loud and liked the fact that U2 acknowledged the many thousands of people we lost here in NYC. Truly touching.

Back
Top Bottom