Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests...

Michael Griffiths said:
Now, if the band wants a very catchy single like 'Sweetest Thing' to be played to death on all formats of radio, I wouldn't think a hard-rocking song would do the trick.
I hope I'm wrong of course.

Questions, comments, cries of outrage all welcome...

You have a point and I hope you're wrong too. ;)

I thought I remembered Bono saying that this song would "blow your mind", but then he says that about every song.

I would bet it's a little more uptempo compared to the songs off of ATYCLB.

Cmon now people! You know what an electric storm sounds like? Boom, crash, zzzz, etc. Edge's guitar will sound like grinding metal twisted against a wall :banghead: struck by a menacing burst of electricity singing the very hairs off the back of your neck when you hear it.

:yes:

I'm a little crazy, heh?

But I hope it's true, I'm ready for a tune I can pump up loud to shake the walls!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BEAL said:
I thought I remembered Bono saying that this song would "blow your mind", but then he says that about every song.

I would bet it's a little more uptempo compared to the songs off of ATYCLB.
Hey BEAL, how are ya'?

I remember him saying it was actually the "next album" that would blow our minds, saying how "punk-rock" it was. I don't ever recall hearing him saying that, specifically, about 'Electric Storm'. If you did hear him say that, that would be awesome though! I did read someone, somewhere saying that Bono thought it was "one of the best things we've ever done," but then again, he says that about pretty much everything the crank out (he told Salman Rushdie that 'Ground Beneath' might be the best thing they'd ever done right after recording it. Good song, but "best thing"?? Hmmm...)

Well, I thought he said something like "We got this song called Electric storm, and it's just gonna blow your mind".

BUT,

since he says this for just about every new song they're working on.....I might be getting it mixed up.

I really hope it's released to radio on Sept 16th. I haven't read/heard anything "official" yet, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

BEAL,

If it gets released for radio by mid-September, I would think it will be leaked around September 8th or so, maybe even earlier. When was 'Beautiful Day' leaked? I think the single was released to radio in September, as well, right? At the beginning of September, I think. And the song was leaked in August of 2000 sometime, if remember correctly? Hmmm...

I still say this will have a poppy flavour to it, albeit a guitar one, too.

Yo.

I can't imagine Electrical Storm possibly being pop, or evern soft rock for a number of reasons:

Everything they've released as singles in the last 3 years (Sweetest Thing, BD, SIAM, Elevation, Walk On) could be called pop.

Secondly, they've got The Hands that Built America, which is a very soft melodious song (from the 30 second clip), and they won't want to make two songs that sound the same.

Finally the Title Electrical Storm - it bring up such strong imagery of power, and brilliance. It sounds tha tthe kind of song that when people listen to it, they will have a picture in their head - not necessarily of an Electrical Storm, but they will paint a picture personally in their own minds with which they will associate with.

Also, U2 have said that their new material will have a harded edge (allthough Adam also said that the tunes they were writing were more poppy)

What I'm hoping for is a sonic explosion of brilliance combined with a helthy dose of mystery and soul, and there not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that they will deliver as they have always done before.

I reckon that this will be a fucking massive live song, in the same way the HMTMKMKM was. I'd be suprised if it got to number one, but then who really gives a shit about that.

Of course everything I'm writing is based on the title of the song, so its a load of bull-shit really.

If I were betting on what this song was going to be like, I'd predict something that combines the mysterious sexuality of HMTMKMKM with the in your face rock riffs from I Will Follow, with a sprinkling of studio mixing similar to One. But I'm really just guessing.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have any idea what the b-sides will be?
2. DOes anyone know if the Slane DVD will be released?
3. Will the Best of include ATYCLB material?

Good post, answers to your questions:

Most likely alternate songs from the 90's singles (Lady With the Spinning Head, etc.)

2. DOes anyone know if the Slane DVD will be released?

Last date I heard was mid-Dec.

3. Will the Best of include ATYCLB material?

No one is positive, but I'd say there's a 95% chance.

Re: Re: electrical ridge and thorn

Michael Griffiths said:

as Period Boy alluded to

adding insult to injury! :D

I really have nothing to add to this discussion, although I enjoyed reading everything you guys have said. Manda, I think the name sounds kinda corny too but the song will prolly salvage it!

Michael Griffiths said:

I don't ever recall hearing him saying that, specifically, about 'Electric Storm'.

From JUICE Magazine, April 2002

Bono "We have started our album, we have got a tune called ElectricAL Storm thats going to blow your mind."

Nial Stokes "Have you a chorus you can sing for me there?"

Bono (laughing) "No"

:dance:

I don't think it's very wise(although can be fun) to predict what a U2 song is going to sound like.

I really learned that with ATYCLB. They had the track listing, and even some of the lyrics posted before the album was leaked. I had it in my head that these songs were going to be very hard rocking(U2 style) and a lot of rumors helped add fuel to that fire.

BUT,

when the clips were released, it was a huge shock to listen to those songs. I was expecting big, massive guitar licks, instead we got a very tight band effort, where no one really stood out, unless you count Bono.

It sounds like a lot of the new songs they are working on do have more of an "edge" to them. And we've had Ignoreland who says he's heard a few of them and has given us some insight.

To make a long story short, I think it's best to not try to get your hopes up with a certain style before you hear at least a clip. A lot of people here were so bummed that ATYCLB didn't rock like they thought it would.

NShaik said:

If we base our assumptions on past B-sides, then there is strong possiblilty that the B-sides on Electric Storm (and the future Hands That Built America possible single) will compose of live tracks. In reference to the first Best Of collection, the 2 versions of the Sweetest Thing single contained a total of 4 live tracks from a very earlier U2 concert (81? I think). It would be a real treat if they released live songs from their ZooTV tour. In reference to All That..., the 4 songs released in numerous cd singles only contained 3 new tracks (Always, Summer Rain, and Big Girls are Best). Everything else was a live track. Even the J. Cash track Don't Take Your Guns to Town was essentially a live recording.

Personally, I think Always and Summer Rain should of been album tracks. Maybe Big Girls too. I love live B-side tracks because they are professionally mastered and often sound better than the boots I have. To me, U2 are a live band. Releasing these live B-sides is the best way to appreciate the U2 sound.

Just some thoughts.

Ishkash:

Thanks for the information! I was hoping someone would give me the evidence!

Roland of Gilead:

I wonder if the question was asking about the b-sides for the entire best of, and not just the single releases from that best of?

And BEAL:

I agree completely.

Michael now you should start working on whether it should be called Electric Storm or Electrical Storm.Keep them coming, we love you.

Cheers!

Haha, Ishash! Very funny, but you do raise an interesting question. Should it, indeed, be "electrical" or "electric"? I've always heard a lightening storm referred to as "electricAL storm", but maybe "electric" sounds more rock n' roll? Hmmm, the plot thickens...

YEAH...actually my favorite album is "Achtung Baby"-and I think it's their best real ROCK album ("Rattle & Hum" in second)!!! when I heard ATYCLB-"that was not THAT KIND OF ROCK"-i thought.I think it was more as Bono described "soul" music, than rock-and i like u2's rock.it was good, but not rock.
when i heard about "the hands that built america" i thought:" well that will be some ROCK!".no way.more i listened to the track more and more I remembered ATYCLB.So now i'm prepared for "Electic storm".however-there's some hope for their new album...
C'MON U2!!!!PLAY SOME ROCK!!!:cool: :dance: :cool: :dance:

sharry_lt said:
YEAH...actually my favorite album is "Achtung Baby"-and I think it's their best real ROCK album ("Rattle & Hum" in second)!!! when I heard ATYCLB-"that was not THAT KIND OF ROCK"-i thought.I think it was more as Bono described "soul" music, than rock-and i like u2's rock.it was good, but not rock.
when i heard about "the hands that built america" i thought:" well that will be some ROCK!".no way.more i listened to the track more and more I remembered ATYCLB.So now i'm prepared for "Electic storm".however-there's some hope for their new album...
C'MON U2!!!!PLAY SOME ROCK!!!:cool: :dance: :cool: :dance:
Sharry_It, yes you are bang on: ATYCLB *is* U2's definitive classic soul album, and I don't really view it as "rock" -- at least not in a contemporary sense. It's more like the classic rock we heard from John Lennon and even Van Morrison -- almost more soul than rock. 'In A Little While' is pretty much an ode to Otis Redding -- one of the great soul singers of the 20th century.

I do think some of us may be surprised, however, when we hear 'The Hands That Built' (isn't it a much better title when you take off "America"? Anyway I digress...). I remember hearing that this song starts off slow and gracefully (the part that we've heard), but then goes into a kind of rough overlay, with Bono singing in a rougher style, making for an interesting juxtapositioning. So, it may surprise you.:)

Oh, here's the link to Ignorland's post, in which he describes the song (I can't believe he was so lucky to have heard it!):
http://forum.interference.com/showt...ght=the hands that built america&pagenumber=2

Last edited:
I think rock and U2 off late has been a love and hate affair.I remember The Edge saying that they dont feel like doing songs like Elevation any more.The reason that we dont get much of a rock from U2 is because of Bono's singing.Bono is a more of a Pop singer than a rock singer.Compared to greats like Eddie Vedder, Freddie Mercury,Robert Plant etc...Bono has a very soft and a delicate voice.He rather caresses a song than say belts it, like he used to do in the pre-Joshua Tree days.This is one of the prime reasong that U2 dont sound like "rock" anymore.

Lets take examples of songs from ATYCLB.Beautiful Day and New York.In these songs parts when Bono belts it, the band can really pull of a rock thing.But fortunately/unfortunately Bono now a days cant maintain the same octave for too long (eg Pride, New Years Day, etc).Consider Elevation, when Bono is not singing the band is really going for it, but when Bono is singing Larry and Adam have to let it a bit lose.For the main chorus Bono uses his high falsetto range.This is one of reason why Sunday Bloody Sunday has lost it "magic" the intensity is no longer there.

I am not trying to make Bono a villain over here.He is singing beautifully and I hope to hear him in that half sing and half speak fashion.But for U2 to write a hard rock song, it would take somethng special out of Bono.

Now the point is that they did some really hard numbers on the last tour.Agreed! but The Fly is more melodic now as compared to what we heard in 1992-4.Bullet is more of rant than the growl we used to hear in 87-89, plus Zoo TV had that alter effects to the voice.Plus now Bono more of sings on songs like I Will Follow, Bad and Pride.

Said that....I hope Electrical Storm...really storms

------------
ignore the typos

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Sharry_It, yes you are bang on: ATYCLB *is* U2's definitive classic soul album, and I don't really view it as "rock" -- at least not in a contemporary sense. It's more like the classic rock we heard from John Lennon and even Van Morrison -- almost more soul than rock.
I do think some of us may be surprised, however, when we hear 'The Hands That Built' (isn't it a much better title when you take off "America"? Anyway I digress...). I remember hearing that this song starts off slow and gracefully (the part that we've heard), but then goes into a kind of rough overlay, with Bono singing in a rougher style, making for an interesting juxtapositioning. So, it may surprise you.:)

That's what I don't like.I really love ATYCLB, but...I prefer U2 doing ROCK more than soul.After Elevaton tour Edge said that they (U2) wanted to play soul music like in ATYCLB, but they couldn't, because they went more and more rock. SO I hoped that their next album would be something 'Achtung Baby' like (well-at least not like ATYCLB.I have nothing against it, just 2 albums like that would be too much-for me one soul album is just perfect-no more, no less.).
However the part from "the hands that built America" I've heard disappointed me -I think i have a right to be disappointed:Edge said the words, that sounded to me like a healing for the pain, but all I heard was another soul-ballad:)sad:)!!!
I hope that you're right about that description you wrote...but my imagination just doesn't work when I have to make a rock song from a 'soul-ballad' beginning!:tsk:
Still I really hope you're right and that it will surprise me.Well, at least I can still have hopes for the new album...And maby 'Electrical storm' will be not like "The hands..."-U2's main advantage is that they can play in many various styles.:) (and who would name a ballad "Electrical storm"???!!!)

ishkash said:
I think rock and U2 off late has been a love and hate affair.I remember The Edge saying that they dont feel like doing songs like Elevation any more.The reason that we dont get much of a rock from U2 is because of Bono's singing.Bono is a more of a Pop singer than a rock singer.Compared to greats like Eddie Vedder, Freddie Mercury,Robert Plant etc...Bono has a very soft and a delicate voice.He rather caresses a song than say belts it, like he used to do in the pre-Joshua Tree days.This is one of the prime reasong that U2 dont sound like "rock" anymore.

Lets take examples of songs from ATYCLB.Beautiful Day and New York.In these songs parts when Bono belts it, the band can really pull of a rock thing.But fortunately/unfortunately Bono now a days cant maintain the same octave for too long (eg Pride, New Years Day, etc).Consider Elevation, when Bono is not singing the band is really going for it, but when Bono is singing Larry and Adam have to let it a bit lose.For the main chorus Bono uses his high falsetto range.This is one of reason why Sunday Bloody Sunday has lost it "magic" the intensity is no longer there.

I am not trying to make Bono a villain over here.He is singing beautifully and I hope to hear him in that half sing and half speak fashion.But for U2 to write a hard rock song, it would take somethng special out of Bono.

Now the point is that they did some really hard numbers on the last tour.Agreed! but The Fly is more melodic now as compared to what we heard in 1992-4.Bullet is more of rant than the growl we used to hear in 87-89, plus Zoo TV had that alter effects to the voice.Plus now Bono more of sings on songs like I Will Follow, Bad and Pride.

Said that....I hope Electrical Storm...really storms

------------
ignore the typos

Ishkash, I do know where you are coming from, but keep in mind that ATYCLB was intended to be a soul album. Remember, Pop was only released a couple years before the making of ATYCLB, and Pop was very much a harder-rock/electronic album, and Bono was up for it. Ironically, I think his voice sounds more powerful -- in the literal sense -- on ATYCLB than on Pop. On songs like 'Walk On' and 'Kite', Bono demonstrates the ability to once again really belt it out, something that was missing on Pop (now maybe that's a good thing, as the material on Pop needed a rougher, whispier vocal in order for the desperation and mood to come through on many of the songs -- ie, 'Please').

That said, I do understand your point of great rock-singers having the ability to carry a rock song, vocally (I think that was what you were driving at, correct?). Bono used to have this ability -- the ability to get above the noise of the guitars, drums, and layering with a depth, and not necessarily with a higher register, but a depth and richness -- to carry the song and take it places where the rest of the band would follow. Songs such as WOWY, believe it or not, and also 'Bad' illustrate this. Now when Bono sings these songs, it's almost like he's keeping up with the music, instead of the other way around.

However, Bono is a great adaptor, and I believe he will surprise us once again with special vocals on 'Electric Storm'. Can't wait to hear it...

my husband said that he thought it was interesting that the first single off of U2's last album was beautiful day, and the first single off this one will be "electrical storm." he thinks it's kinda interesting and ironic.

KhanadaRhodes said:
my husband said that he thought it was interesting that the first single off of U2's last album was beautiful day, and the first single off this one will be "electrical storm." he thinks it's kinda interesting and ironic.
How true! I never thought about that, though one who likes electrical storms might think a day such as would be a 'beautiful day'. Now I'm just being silly.

Michael Griffiths said:

That said, I do understand your point of great rock-singers having the ability to carry a rock song, vocally (I think that was what you were driving at, correct?).

Precisely.

Going back to POP, I think U2 wanted to create a calm in confusion.They had this picture and they couldnt fill colors in it.Bono had this calm in his voice,like for Mofo and Playboy Mansion, which works on the album but wouldnt have generated the interest of the audience in live setting, specially for Mofo.Thats why Mofo is considerably harder when played live, while its a bit like some prodigy stlyed hard rock on the album.The dispair you are talking about is very evident on Wake Up Dead Man, but sadly its a bit too late for generic fans not excavationist like us.

As for Please I think they can't improve much on the single version, except for the new vocals or maybe play a bit with the melody lines.There is no doubt rock or not, but on ATYCLB features Bono's best vocal performances.For AB he needed effects to create an atmosphere, but here he can do it with his organic voice.Walk On and Kite shows him comong back to that higher range again and I am more than confident (esp after Grammy's) that he has got it back.If you listen to those Corr's recording he is getting there with a new raw approach.When he sings the line "I can't find my feet" after the first chorus, you can hear a new Bono.I am more than confident that we will get this new Bono on the new single.

So i think we agree.

Now that we've all downloaded it...

Ya think Michael Griffinth has made two out of two predictions so far? :shocked: :evil: :banghead:

U2LA said:
I agree, I doubt [Electrical Storm] will be rocking. I doubt U2 will ever rock in the way most 20 somethings in the Forum want them to rock. But they will still be awesome and still no one will deny their excellence and it will be enjoyable and we will be happy to have new U2 music.

Agreed. The 20 year olds on this forum are living in a dream world. :mac:

Back
Top Bottom