Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2002, 09:22 PM   #21
Kid A

Local Time: 05:20 PM

Bono says a lot of things

Old 08-01-2002, 01:36 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Re: Re: electrical ridge and thorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

Okay, I must ask: What is 'Electrical Ridge and Thorn'? I bet it's an Aussie thing!

no dahling, storm, ridge and thorn are all stupid names from the daytime soap Bold and the Beautiful

Old 08-01-2002, 02:09 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:20 PM
I heard, from my sources, that the song will begin with a rap and then segue into a punk rock sound, then end with a heavy metal montage. My sources also tell me that the band will adopt a cool look for this album and era. Bono is dying his hair blonde and spiking it, Edge has taken to wearing striped polo shirts, knee length shorts, converse chuck taylor all stars, and knee high socks.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:11 AM   #24
War Child

"Forget dance. Forget rock. Forget rap. Forget hip-hop. Forget trip-fucking-hop. Forget the blues. Genres are for people who are happy to accept that what they're doing will appeal to fans of a particular genre. But when you're in one of the biggest bands in the world, genres are like boxes - too constricting. When you're in U2, you gotta see the big picture."
-- Bono

Old 08-01-2002, 07:17 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Re: Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests...

Quote:
When I first heard the title, 'Electric Storm', I was having conniption fits, fantasizing of the sizzling guitar riffs and the thunderous percussion, and all the layers in between. However, after thinking about it, I don't know...

My reasoning is as follows: 'Electric Storm' is the single being used to promote the Best Of, just as 'Sweetest Thing was used for the '80-'90 one. Now, if the band wants a very catchy single like 'Sweetest Thing' to be played to death on all formats of radio, I wouldn't think a hard-rocking song would do the trick. Even Edge said a while back that they were recording "pop" songs (now maybe he meant "Pop" songs?) for the new best of, and that the super experimental hard rocking songs would be saved for the next U2 record.
I think this is one of the first times I am responding to one of your posts Michael. Your posts are almost always so brilliant that to add anything to them, even an "I agree", would detract more than help.

However, here, I do feel some conversation is required.

To best address this issue (as even a partial answer is impossible until we hear at least a snippet of the song), let us examine past U2 more popular songs and how they should be classified. I will use the terms "rocking", "melodic" and "ballad" to describe the three general beats per minute or pace of the songs.
  1. I Will Follow - rock
  2. Gloria - melodic
  3. October - ballad
  4. Sunday Bloody Sunday - rock
  5. New Years Day - melodic
  6. Pride - rock
  7. Unforgettable Fire - melodic
  8. Bad - melodic
  9. With or Without You - ballad
  10. I Still Haven't Found... - melodic
  11. Where the Streets... - rock
  12. In God's Country - rock
  13. Desire - rock
  14. Angel of Harlem - melodic
  15. Van Diemen's Land - ballad
  16. All I Want Is You - ballad
  17. When Love Comes to Town - rock
  18. The Fly - rock
  19. Mysterious Ways - rock
  20. One - ballad
  21. Even Better Than... - rock
  22. Who's Gonna Ride... - ballad
  23. Lemon - melodic
  24. Numb - melodic
  25. Stay - ballad
  26. Hold Me...Kill Me - rock
  27. Discotheque - rock
  28. Staring at the Sun - melodic
  29. Last Night on Earth - rock
  30. Please - ballad
  31. Beautiful Day - rock
  32. Stuck in a Moment... - ballad
  33. Elevation - rock
  34. Walk On - melodic

Some of you may disagree with some of my classifications, perhaps feeling some songs are more "melodic" than "ballad-like" or more "rock" than "ballad". Additionally, some of you may feel that some songs may be mostly a "ballad" until the explosive end. While these arguments are justified, I decided to limit each song to just [u]one[/b] classification and how I felt when I heard it. Furthermore, overall, I believe most of us would agree with the above classifications.

I have listed 34 of U2's more popular songs. Of those, I classified 15 (44%) as "rock", 10 (29%) as "melodic" and 9 (26%) as "ballad." Therefore, based on the past, there is a stronger chance that future U2 songs will be faster-paced, at least "melodic" if not even "rock."

Admittedly, there is only one "ballad-esque" song in the 8 pre-Joshua Tree tracks listed. This suggests that latter U2 works are indeed more slower-paced. However, this observation may be biased. Of the 4 pre-JT albums, I have only listed 8 of the more popular tracks. A more throrough examination of all the songs on those albums would reveal more slower-paced "ballad-like" songs. However, even if U2's more slower-paced songs have come from 1987 on, we have had 15 years to adapt to this style. As shown by ATYCLB, two of the more popular tracks were indeed "rock" songs, with only one being classified as a "ballad." This indicates that U2, at least when it comes to picking singles, do tend to pick more upbeat songs.

One song I left off the above list is "The Sweetest Thing" as it was released twice, with the second release being used to promote the first "Best Of." As such, I didn't want to list that song in discussing this second "Best Of." But I would consider "The Sweetest Thing" a more "melodic" song, again suggesting at least that U2 mostly uses more upbeat, faster-paced songs as their singles.

Therefore, at this juncture, based on past behavior, I would predict this new single to be faster-paced and arguably even a "rock" track. But again, this argument is moot until we hear some of the song. Just based on how U2's released singles in the past (or emphasized certain songs), this option would seem more likely.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:19 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Nice work Doctor Who, I agree with most of your picks and pretty much sums up that it's pretty much anyone's guess. I think Hands will be more of a melodic tune so I doubt they would put two melodic tunes on there. Based on that and the fact that they're probably trying to reflect their 90's work, this new tune should kick some serious arse!!!

Either way, I'll be happy!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:52 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Doctorwho:

Very good analysis, my friend. (And thanks for the compliment! I had a good laugh over it, haha, but thank-you.) While I agree with 'Electric' being a more upbeat song, I'm not so sure it will be a full out "rocker". I would like it to be, but I'm not so sure. As I said earlier, I'd think it would be a poppy, guitar oriented track. Something that would hook anyone in, which isn't a bad thing at all. I just hope people don't think that this is what the next album will sound like, that's all. Recently, some people on this board have said they'd lose interest if this next song is too "mainstream" etc -- but I feel that would be a grave mistake, as I don't think it would be necessarily indicative of the new material at all.

By the way, 'Pride' is one of the most *melodic* songs they've ever written! And isn't 'New Year's Day' a full out *rock* song? (hehe)
Old 08-01-2002, 01:53 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 AM

Just think how many people will be hitting their heads if Electric Storm turns out to be a pop-directed song !

More seriously - i dunno. Sweetest thing was pop all the way but also it fit well with the 80's Best of songs. So if Electric Storm is to fit with the 90's songs, it could be something fast paced and guitar driven. Plus consider Hands that built America is a slower song.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:07 PM   #29
Refugee

Why can't it be Sept. 16th yet so we can solve this mystery???? But you have to admit the anticipation is exciting and has made for an interesting summer....
Old 08-02-2002, 12:00 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
More seriously - i dunno. Sweetest thing was pop all the way but also it fit well with the 80's Best of songs. So if Electric Storm is to fit with the 90's songs, it could be something fast paced and guitar driven. Plus consider Hands that built America is a slower song.
But weren't there many 80s U2 songs that were "fast paced and guitar driven"? To be quite honest, if I were to pick the more "poppy" decade of U2, I would pick the 90s over the 80s anyday. Achtung Baby is perhaps the most mainstream album they've ever made, in my opinion. There are so many influences of the time all over that album, wheras 80s U2 sounds, in many cases, as though it had very few influences at all. Now granted, that's if you wanted to put the two decades in a box. Zooropa, for example, is probably up their with Unforgettable Fire as their most daring work ever.

Bottom line is, U2 can make a poppy-sounding song fit into any era, and that's what I believe they've done with 'Electric Storm'. (Does anyone else feel it sounded better as 'ElectricAL Storm'?)
Old 08-05-2002, 07:41 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Why I Don't Think 'Electric Storm' Will Be "Hard-Rocking" Like The Title Suggests...

Quote:
Now, if the band wants a very catchy single like 'Sweetest Thing' to be played to death on all formats of radio, I wouldn't think a hard-rocking song would do the trick.
I hope I'm wrong of course.

Questions, comments, cries of outrage all welcome...
You have a point and I hope you're wrong too.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:08 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I thought I remembered Bono saying that this song would "blow your mind", but then he says that about every song.

I would bet it's a little more uptempo compared to the songs off of ATYCLB.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:20 PM   #33
Refugee

Cmon now people! You know what an electric storm sounds like? Boom, crash, zzzz, etc. Edge's guitar will sound like grinding metal twisted against a wall struck by a menacing burst of electricity singing the very hairs off the back of your neck when you hear it.

I'm a little crazy, heh?

But I hope it's true, I'm ready for a tune I can pump up loud to shake the walls!

Old 08-07-2002, 12:24 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL
I thought I remembered Bono saying that this song would "blow your mind", but then he says that about every song.

I would bet it's a little more uptempo compared to the songs off of ATYCLB.
Hey BEAL, how are ya'?

I remember him saying it was actually the "next album" that would blow our minds, saying how "punk-rock" it was. I don't ever recall hearing him saying that, specifically, about 'Electric Storm'. If you did hear him say that, that would be awesome though! I did read someone, somewhere saying that Bono thought it was "one of the best things we've ever done," but then again, he says that about pretty much everything the crank out (he told Salman Rushdie that 'Ground Beneath' might be the best thing they'd ever done right after recording it. Good song, but "best thing"?? Hmmm...)
Old 08-07-2002, 12:30 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, I thought he said something like "We got this song called Electric storm, and it's just gonna blow your mind".

BUT,

since he says this for just about every new song they're working on.....I might be getting it mixed up.

I really hope it's released to radio on Sept 16th. I haven't read/heard anything "official" yet, so I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:10 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

BEAL,

If it gets released for radio by mid-September, I would think it will be leaked around September 8th or so, maybe even earlier. When was 'Beautiful Day' leaked? I think the single was released to radio in September, as well, right? At the beginning of September, I think. And the song was leaked in August of 2000 sometime, if remember correctly? Hmmm...

I still say this will have a poppy flavour to it, albeit a guitar one, too.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:11 PM   #37
The Fly

Yo.

I can't imagine Electrical Storm possibly being pop, or evern soft rock for a number of reasons:

Everything they've released as singles in the last 3 years (Sweetest Thing, BD, SIAM, Elevation, Walk On) could be called pop.

Secondly, they've got The Hands that Built America, which is a very soft melodious song (from the 30 second clip), and they won't want to make two songs that sound the same.

Finally the Title Electrical Storm - it bring up such strong imagery of power, and brilliance. It sounds tha tthe kind of song that when people listen to it, they will have a picture in their head - not necessarily of an Electrical Storm, but they will paint a picture personally in their own minds with which they will associate with.

Also, U2 have said that their new material will have a harded edge (allthough Adam also said that the tunes they were writing were more poppy)

What I'm hoping for is a sonic explosion of brilliance combined with a helthy dose of mystery and soul, and there not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that they will deliver as they have always done before.

I reckon that this will be a fucking massive live song, in the same way the HMTMKMKM was. I'd be suprised if it got to number one, but then who really gives a shit about that.

Of course everything I'm writing is based on the title of the song, so its a load of bull-shit really.

If I were betting on what this song was going to be like, I'd predict something that combines the mysterious sexuality of HMTMKMKM with the in your face rock riffs from I Will Follow, with a sprinkling of studio mixing similar to One. But I'm really just guessing.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have any idea what the b-sides will be?
2. DOes anyone know if the Slane DVD will be released?
3. Will the Best of include ATYCLB material?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:08 PM   #38
Refugee

Good post, answers to your questions:

1. Does anyone have any idea what the b-sides will be?

Most likely alternate songs from the 90's singles (Lady With the Spinning Head, etc.)

2. DOes anyone know if the Slane DVD will be released?

Last date I heard was mid-Dec.

3. Will the Best of include ATYCLB material?

No one is positive, but I'd say there's a 95% chance.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:52 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Re: Re: electrical ridge and thorn

Quote:

as Period Boy alluded to
adding insult to injury!

I really have nothing to add to this discussion, although I enjoyed reading everything you guys have said. Manda, I think the name sounds kinda corny too but the song will prolly salvage it!
Old 08-08-2002, 12:07 AM   #40
War Child

Quote:

I don't ever recall hearing him saying that, specifically, about 'Electric Storm'.
From JUICE Magazine, April 2002

Bono "We have started our album, we have got a tune called ElectricAL Storm thats going to blow your mind."

Nial Stokes "Have you a chorus you can sing for me there?"

Bono (laughing) "No"