Why HTDAAB will one day be a "U2 classic"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Looking back to 1991, I think there are so very many parallels between this album and AB...

We waited and waited and waited, and finally we get this masterpiece of an album...and make no mistake, this is clearly a masterpiece. Reviews are a mixed bag, with most critics agreeing that this is a very good album, and so on. But the one consistent criticism we hear is that this album has "no memorable catchy tunes". Sound familiar? We heard this with AB as well. The early critics called AB a good album, but had the same comments about this album as well.

After several listens, HTDAAB is really starting to grow on me. And I've heard the same from several others as well. It's not the kind of album that immediately catches your attention with catchy tunes and radio-friendly singles like ATYCLB. But it is a much more complex, deeper album with more meaning and much more "staying power", if you will. The more I listen, the more I like what I hear. Take MD for example. On first listen I really didn't think this song was too memorable. Now, I can't get it out of my head, and think it's one of the album's best.

I seem to recall shortly after "The Fly" basically tanked on US radio that some critics were saying AB would not be a success and that U2's career had hit a wall. Now, most critics look back on that album and either call it U2's best or second best ever.

I am convinced that HTDAAB, like AB, will only get better and better with age. Right now some critics have been quick to write it off, but I think that a few years from now it will be seen as what it truly is - a cohesive album that improves with multiple listens. It will be one of those U2 albums that you keep pulling off the shelf, because it keeps your interest.

Of course, only time will tell, but I can't help but feel the same way about this album as I did with AB when it first was released.

Just my two cents worth...

Well I think most of people don´t see the element of time. You say you don´t skip any track on AB, but thats almost 15 years after its initial release. So let´s talk in 15 years again about HTDAAB.

Now one week after the release people are already finished with their review.

Even AB had weaker tunes and stronger ones, which became classics (One, Fly, Mysterious Ways).

Zoocoustic said:
Looking back to 1991, I think there are so very many parallels between this album and AB...

We waited and waited and waited, and finally we get this masterpiece of an album...and make no mistake, this is clearly a masterpiece. Reviews are a mixed bag, with most critics agreeing that this is a very good album, and so on. But the one consistent criticism we hear is that this album has "no memorable catchy tunes". Sound familiar? We heard this with AB as well. The early critics called AB a good album, but had the same comments about this album as well.

After several listens, HTDAAB is really starting to grow on me. And I've heard the same from several others as well. It's not the kind of album that immediately catches your attention with catchy tunes and radio-friendly singles like ATYCLB. But it is a much more complex, deeper album with more meaning and much more "staying power", if you will. The more I listen, the more I like what I hear. Take MD for example. On first listen I really didn't think this song was too memorable. Now, I can't get it out of my head, and think it's one of the album's best.

I seem to recall shortly after "The Fly" basically tanked on US radio that some critics were saying AB would not be a success and that U2's career had hit a wall. Now, most critics look back on that album and either call it U2's best or second best ever.

I am convinced that HTDAAB, like AB, will only get better and better with age. Right now some critics have been quick to write it off, but I think that a few years from now it will be seen as what it truly is - a cohesive album that improves with multiple listens. It will be one of those U2 albums that you keep pulling off the shelf, because it keeps your interest.

Of course, only time will tell, but I can't help but feel the same way about this album as I did with AB when it first was released.

Just my two cents worth...

I agree:up:

Although whereas AB was a surprise after JT, I think a lot of people expected HTDAAB to be how it is. As a result it may be remembered as a great U2 album, but not a classic.

I definately agree, I was slightly disappointed with the album on the first few listens. But it has grown on me sooooooooo much, now that I rank it just behind Actung, and better then JT!!!!

And ever since I heard Miracle Drug live on CD:UK, it has almost become my favourite song.

It is an amazing album, the classic albums are ones that have songs that grow on you.

PajaCzech said:
Well I think most of people don´t see the element of time. You say you don´t skip any track on AB, but thats almost 15 years after its initial release. So let´s talk in 15 years again about HTDAAB.

Now one week after the release people are already finished with their review.

Even AB had weaker tunes and stronger ones, which became classics (One, Fly, Mysterious Ways).

youre right its only been a week, and things can certainly change over time. i wont deny that.

and prague is an awesome city by the way.

grbounds said:
theres songs i skip on HTDAAB. i play Achtung Baby all the way through.

Which songs do you skip?

I originally skipped A Man And A Woman, One Sep Closer and occasionally Yahweh, but not anymore!:wink:

How the hell can you skip 'Yahweh' ?!

Though, I find it hard to believe anyone can skip 'A Man and a Woman', that is one of the album-saving tunes...

not a weak track, i find every song woth listening to and i find i really enjoying listening from start to end, no skipping, the flow is great, Nie work Edge!:wink:

Yahweh is my least favorite of the album though i dont skip it,,,,,,,,

I don't think an album that contains the dull songs A Man And A Woman, Crumbs from your table, All Becasue of you and city of blinding lights will ever be known as a classic and to compare it to Achtung Baby, which musically is on a totally different level, is very misplaced judgement.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU - DULL?!?!?!!?

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS - DULL??????!!!!!!??????

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE - DULL?!?!?!

You need to give this album a few more listens!!!

U2 albums are growers for me. I love U2 music. Yet each album takes just a bit of time to grow on me. Maybe in 20 years, I'll think ATYCLB is the Joshua Tree and HTDAAB is Achtung Baby :wink:

I agree that the album has "grower tracks....its not ATYCLB II at all, its more subtle. I definitely find myself wanting to listen to HTDAAB a lot, and a sort fo acid test for me as to how good the album is that when I listen to an mp3 mix of my favourite U2 songs, theres about 6 from HTDAAB that I have in there!

Oh, and don't feed the trolls ;)

Needle_Chill said:

Which songs do you skip?

I originally skipped A Man And A Woman, One Sep Closer and occasionally Yahweh, but not anymore!:wink:

i skip a man and a woman, crumbs, and L&P or else (sometimes)

i just heard the whole album again straight through. Some are better than others, but the whole album is solid and great and there are no clear skip-overs for me (ATYCLB had a few)

Murray said:
ALL BECAUSE OF YOU - DULL?!?!?!!?

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS - DULL??????!!!!!!??????

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE - DULL?!?!?!

You need to give this album a few more listens!!!

Ok to explain more the reasons.....Crumbs From Your Table sounds a bit too much like Walk On which I think is far superior and the ending of Crumbs too much like Elctrical Storm, also too much Edge echoman guitar again, which ruins the album for me.

City Of Blinding lights has a terrible mix which ruins it for me and is trying soooo hard to be Streets have no name.

All Because Of You has a great intro but then a duff chorus which also ruins it for me.

My reasons and my reasons only.

I see the album how I see a great song. You can't skip through any of it, and you hate to have to pause it.

rjhbonovox said:

Ok to explain more the reasons.....Crumbs From Your Table sounds a bit too much like Walk On which I think is far superior and the ending of Crumbs too much like Elctrical Storm, also too much Edge echoman guitar again, which ruins the album for me.

City Of Blinding lights has a terrible mix which ruins it for me and is trying soooo hard to be Streets have no name.

All Because Of You has a great intro but then a duff chorus which also ruins it for me.

My reasons and my reasons only.

Wow! With reasoning like that I can't believe you call yourself a U2 fan! Well, to each his own.

FullonEdge2 said:

Wow! With reasoning like that I can't believe you call yourself a U2 fan! Well, to each his own.

Woah I don't like the album I can't be a fan! If I was a fan I'd think this was the best album ever! Real fans love this album and faker fans hate this album! How can you be a fan and not think that HTDAAB is the best album not just in U2's catalog but in the entire universe!

grbounds said:

youre right its only been a week, and things can certainly change over time. i wont deny that.

and prague is an awesome city by the way.

BTW personally, I still don´t like AMAW, All because you, One step closer as much as the others. Good songs, but they don´t give me the kick, the energy.

One step closer is one of the best songs on the album with Love and Peace Or Else and Original Of The Species. At least these 3 tracks have been mixed properly not like the awful mix of COBL.

rjhbonovox said:
One step closer is one of the best songs on the album with Love and Peace Or Else and Original Of The Species. At least these 3 tracks have been mixed properly not like the awful mix of COBL.

Is OSC the one that Eno worked on? That would make sense imo.
I agree that track is one of the best rjh...although it did take me more listens than the rest to get into.

I used to skip songs on Achtung Baby until I had been a U2 "fan" for at least a year or so. . . .

Right now, after several weeks, the only song I consistently skip is Love and peace or else. Part of the reason is that I don't care much for it, it hasn't grabbed me yet, but a lot of the reason is it is keeping me from hearing COBL as soon as possible. . .

But for a long time, when listening to AB, I'd skip the first two songs, start with One, and I'd usually sort of space out during Who's gonna ride, So Cruel, and Tryin to throw your arms. Now I listen to it intently from start to finish.

The other night I put in ATYCLB for the first time in a while, and I thought, hmmm, this is actually a good album, I don't know why it is getting such a bad rap. Then I put in HTDAAB and it quickly put everything into perspective. . .

LiveFire said:

Woah I don't like the album I can't be a fan! If I was a fan I'd think this was the best album ever! Real fans love this album and faker fans hate this album! How can you be a fan and not think that HTDAAB is the best album not just in U2's catalog but in the entire universe!

This is said with tongue in cheek??? heheeh just checking.

Aardvark747 said:

Is OSC the one that Eno worked on? That would make sense imo.
I agree that track is one of the best rjh...although it did take me more listens than the rest to get into.

Don't think Eno worked on this one, I reckon he worked on Love and Peace Or Else back in the ATYCLB sessions. Also yep I do think that this is one of the best songs on the album, One Step Closer, it has a great atmosphere to it and Bono singing it from his fathers position as he was dying etc, or sort of. And I reckon its a good song that leads into OOTS which I still love even though its an unashamedly singalong driven song, still a great tune and would make a great single. Still my 3 favs from the album LAPOE, OSC and OOTS. The others vary from average to good. Overall its a decent album but not as strong as it should and could have been. If only Edge would get out his wah wah and fuzz effects again for gods sake.

It's not Eno that worked on OSL it's acctually Daniel Lanois. He also contributes his expertice at the pedel steel guitar for this track.

Lancemc said:
It's not Eno that worked on OSL it's acctually Daniel Lanois. He also contributes his expertice at the pedel steel guitar for this track.

Correct, actually says Lanois and Chris Thomas produced but whatever its a great track.

Back
Top Bottom