Why HTDAAB will one day be a "U2 classic"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bcrt2000 said:
my brother always skips zoo station on AB

WHAT!!!!! How in the hell can anyone skip Zoo Station, that is one mofo of an awesome track. He must be insane.

Yup, after just a few days, no doubt in my mind, this album kicks ass!

I've been a fan since AB, and I cannot recall another album catching on this quick with me. Personally, I felt the last one was overrated and lacking energy. This one has some of the most emotive songwriting we've ever had from them, the musicianship is way up there, plus Edge's guitar is right out front (always a good thing).

I'm confident some of the songs on it will go down in history as among their finest (I'll let you decide which after some more listens). :) And of course, this will be unbelievable live! Give it time - you'll see.

I agree with the title of this thread - :applaud:

By the time of the tour and once all the naysayers SEE AND HEAR these songs performed in concert, watch how quickly they change their opinions of HTDAAB.

This album is full of BIG SONGS which are best appreciated in big areas like arenas and stadiums where they will live and breathe new life into themselves. :up:

It's hard to truly appreciate them within the confines of a CD/DVD.

Maybe that's part of the problem fully appreciating HTDAAB with some folks....but not me! :wink:

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I also gave ATYCLB a spin the other day. I liked it so much, that it I have 'spun' it 2 more times since. I never really quit listening to it altogether, but it's kind of strange how a new album will cloud your perception of the previous one. I have always loved ATYCLB, but after the Bomb came out, I started sympathizing with those who criticized ATYCLB. But now, I think those people are idiots. Listening to it brought back all the reasons I loved it in the first place. The 1st 5 songs may be the best 5 song sequence in the U2 catalog, and the 2nd half appears pale only because of what preceded them (kind of like JT). In particular, New York has to be in my top 15. It is incredible, esp. the lines "In the stillness of the evening/when the sun has had it's day/ I heard your voice whispering/ Come away now....NEW YORK!!!" Grace is a personal fav of mine too. Having said all of that, I like HTDAAB even better.

Zoocoustic said:
Looking back to 1991, I think there are so very many parallels between this album and AB...

We waited and waited and waited, and finally we get this masterpiece of an album...and make no mistake, this is clearly a masterpiece.

I really don't think that "parallels" between AB and HTDAAB will guarantee that the latter will become a classic. Especially when these parallels start off from the subjectivity of establishing that both albums are masterpieces, a category AB has reached with absolute justice but HTDAAB isn't anywhere near of, in my view.

Re: Re: Why HTDAAB will one day be a "U2 classic"...

ultraviolet7 said:

I really don't think that "parallels" between AB and HTDAAB will guarantee that the latter will become a classic. Especially when these parallels start off from the subjectivity of establishing that both albums are masterpieces, a category AB has reached with absolute justice but HTDAAB isn't anywhere near of, in my view.

all i can say to that is come back after these songs are played live, and then tell us what you think, i am almost 99% certain that some people didnt think achtung baby would be the classic it is now, but then came ZooTv and well no more words needed

In my opinion an album cant be a masterpiece after just 2 months, but HTDAAB has everything to become one. It's just that the songs need to be played live. Back in 1984 Bad wasnt seen as a classic U2 song, until the live performance at Live Aid. AB wasn't a masterpiece at all when it came out, but now most people think it is, including me. I still think its the best album they have ever made. But then again, its 13 years since its release, so give HTDAAB some time to sink in, to grow as the songs are played live, and only after a few years we can honestly say whether it's a masterpiece or not. I predict it will be.

Patrick

Some of you might not be old enough to remember, but Actung Baby is what it is today because of the tour. It got good reviews at first, but it became legendary because of the live spectacle that went along with it.

Here's hoping U2 do that this time. i am hoping that is what is taking them longer.

Dalton said:
Some of you might not be old enough to remember, but Actung Baby is what it is today because of the tour. It got good reviews at first, but it became legendary because of the live spectacle that went along with it.

Here's hoping U2 do that this time. i am hoping that is what is taking them longer.

I have a feeling this is going to be one hell of a tour, sort of like Zoo TV was, but without all the irony :wink:. I've heard little bits of information about new technologies being developed for visual effects and such for the tour...:hmm: Should be interesting nontheless.

Hola amigos :wave:

There´s nothing from Achtung Baby in HTDAAB !!!!:rant: come on mates, are you deaf ? :tsk: I don´t want to offend you, but topics like this one are really pointless and mindless. Trying to compare this "new" album with Achtung Baby doesn´t make a better one, also it´s quite easy to call it as a "classic" just because they repeated their same "classic" sounds on it, I mean, epic wide sounds, keyboards, atmospheric guitars ( Edge´s signature ) with harmonics and delays, etc, etc. That´s far from classic U2. Rather that shows why this album can´t be a classic, because shows an aging tired band trying to copy themselves... shameful :tsk: :down:

Achtung baby was radical, different, innovative, brand new, etc, etc

HTDAAB is conservative, recycled, safe, commercial, sold, cheap, cliche, etc

What´s the common with those albums ?

I´m a musician, I can clearly realise when an album is plenty filler ( like this one ) talking in terms of music composition, this album is really nothing to worry about. With these singsong releases the band have sold out, sadly :(

A close friend said me a while ago "how easy is to be U2 nowadays, they´ve many millions of blinded and brianwashed fans. I don´t know why they don´t realise how bad and gone are U2 now. They acclaim EVERY U2 product, I mean, EVERY. Ýet still there´re some fans who think Best of 1990 - 2000 was great !"

Sadly she´s right. That´s painful, really.

This isn´t a pleasant writing for me, because I love U2, I MEAN U2, not this sold out iPod band !!!!:silent: :censored:. Come on, more and more fans feel deceived by that horrible www.u2.com paid system, but on the other hand we´ll find fans who still love EVERY U2 action, no matter how bad it is.
It´s clear www.u2.com is a shit, they´re stealing money from fans wallets right now and nobody seems to care about that.
iPod was a fraud, collector´s edition was another fraud, with all that fake "exclusive" stuff, etc.

So now it´s time to put on the table some things and stopping this unnecessary and annoying adoration. Given that situation the band are resting on their laurels, as a fan pointed out.

U2 can be drinking and smoking with their apple tunes friends, and then updating their same sounds again and again, because they know there will be a lot of fans thinking "CLASSIC U2 IS BACK !!!!"

they need to know they aren´t Gods and they need to be worried again to create something really worth listen and buy

:(

What is "mindless and pointless" ponkine, is your endless, repetitive campaign of negativity against HTDAAB and those who appreciate it.

In addition, perhaps people think HTDAAB is "classic" because they like most or all of the songs on the album, not that they are rehashes of old tunes, did you ever think about that?

Being a musician doesn't make you any more qualified to talk about music than anyone else on here either!

Murray said:
ALL BECAUSE OF YOU - DULL?!?!?!!?

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS - DULL??????!!!!!!??????

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE - DULL?!?!?!

You need to give this album a few more listens!!!

I agree. If people find All Because of You dull I really don't know WHAT people were expecting from U2. It is anything but dull, especially if you BLAST it LOUD. Then it is :drool: .

Anyway, I highly agree with the tarter of the topic. All this album needs time. It seems like some of the greatest things in art literature and music, originally get mixed reviews at first, then 20 years later, everyone loves it.

ponkine said:

Achtung baby was radical, different, innovative, brand new, etc, etc

I´m a musician, I can clearly realise when an album is plenty filler ( like this one ) talking in terms of music composition, this album is really nothing to worry about. With these singsong releases the band have sold out, sadly :(

What is really sad is when posters begin to defeat their own argument in the same post that they make it.

I think this album is certainly the true 3rd classic for any U2 fan a must have for the collection and certainly am looking forward to seeing this record live because live is where U2 really live!

ponkine said:

A close friend said me a while ago "how easy is to be U2 nowadays, they´ve many millions of blinded and brianwashed fans. I don´t know why they don´t realise how bad and gone are U2 now. They acclaim EVERY U2 product, I mean, EVERY. Ýet still there´re some fans who think Best of 1990 - 2000 was great !"

So now it´s time to put on the table some things and stopping this unnecessary and annoying adoration. Given that situation the band are resting on their laurels, as a fan pointed out.

U2 can be drinking and smoking with their apple tunes friends, and then updating their same sounds again and again, because they know there will be a lot of fans thinking "CLASSIC U2 IS BACK !!!!"

ponkine, I was just reading one of your other posts where you say you respect every fan´s opinion here, and you say you don't want to offend. :hmm: It's a little hard to tell when you repeatedly refer to fans of certain albums as deaf, blinded and brianwashed, annoying, etc etc etc. I know you're upset with the band right now and with the new material but please try to discuss that without making it personal. Flaming and name calling isn't welcome here (and that goes for everyone).

Last edited:
neutral said:

ponkine, I was just reading one of your other posts where you say you respect every fan´s opinion here, and you say you don't want to offend. :hmm: It's a little hard to tell when you repeatedly refer to fans of certain albums as deaf, blinded and brianwashed, annoying, etc etc etc. I know you're upset with the band right now and with the new material but please try to discuss that without making it personal. Flaming and name calling isn't welcome here (and that goes for everyone).

Yes I´ve noticed that my friend, sorry folks if I offended someone here :sad: I was upset, really

I´ll try to do unpersonal, I´m going to talk just about the music, right ? :wave:;) :up:

Ok, let´s compare Achtung Baby with HTDAAB

Overall: what gripped me Achtung Baby was its musical nature, I mean, I was listening to a whole new U2, and that was out-of-body. The music is memorable, as a high reference point on the U2´s career. Don´t forget their created their truly BEST music after many negative and even destructive critics for they "Rattle & Hum", and they made a "Rattle & Hum" when critics were the best one for them with their "Joshua Tree". Achtung baby is Irrespective of its legacy.

Overall: what bothered me about HTDAAB what its unfulfilling hype intended. Nobody though ( talking about their Marketing team ) about how easily forgettable it is, how bad it sound when aging U2 try to find a new "With Or Without You", "Where The Streets Have No Name", etc. The outcome is annoying and pityful.
The music is common knowledge because we already had ATYCLB.
There´s so much from ATYCLB here that´s really annoying.
what´s the nature of this album ?... CASH.

Now song by song:

1- Zoo Station v/s Vertigo: No words needed. Zoo Station

2- EBTTRT v/s Miracle Drug: I can´t vote for that With or Without You ripped off ( if you don´t believe me, try to play it, at least during the first verses they used the same chords ). EBTTRT.

3- One v/s Sometimes: No words needed. I can´t vote for the new Celine Dion´s "My Heart Will Go On". I can´t support a man who uses his father´s death to make money. Shameful

4- UTEOTW v/s Love And Peace: This voting is getting obvious, but it´s the truth my friends. UTEOTW is far better.

5- WGRYWH v/s City Of Blinding Lights: for the first time, we have a competition here. I´ll be nice, City Of Blinding Lights.

6- So Cruel v/s All Because Of You: you know which song is better. So Cruel

7- The Fly v/s A man And A Woman: nobody say A Man is better. By miles, The Fly wins.

8- Mysterious Ways v/s Crums For Your Table. While HTDAAB is going down and down by showing its monotony, Acthung Baby still have so much to show us. Mysterious Ways by far.

9- TTYAATW v/s One Step Closer: No competition, TTYAATW by far.

10- Ultraviolet v/s Original Of The Species: While Ultraviolet is a musical standpoint, Original Of The Species goes nowhere with all those unhelpful chords and changes. Ultraviolet

11- Yahweh v/s Acrobat: Do I have to say it ?. Acrobat

12- Love Is Blindness v/s Fast Cars: Without this song, Achtung Baby would be less substantial, because it´s their most outstanding ending for the album. Fast Cars could have been far better, but it´s just a half-finished song. Love Is Blindness.

HTDAAB won´t be a classic, it´s too little if you compare with the real classic U2, sorry folks

:tsk:

Last edited:
neutral said:

Neutral, I am offended by the picture in your avatar. I thought everyone knew that the rumor about the sheep was completely untrue.......

:wink:

ponkine said:

Yes I´ve noticed that my friend, sorry folks if I offended someone here :sad: I was upset, really

I´ll try to do unpersonal, I´m going to talk just about the music, right ? :wave:;) :up:

I understand, it's easy to get upset about something us fans are so passionate about, and thanks. :wave:

Last edited:
ponkine said:

Ok, let´s compare Achtung Baby with HTDAAB

Overall: what gripped me Achtung Baby was its musical nature, I mean, I was listening to a whole new U2, and that was out-of-body. The music is memorable, as a high reference point on the U2´s career. Don´t forget their created their truly BEST music after many negative and even destructive critics for they "Rattle & Hum", and they made a "Rattle & Hum" when critics were the best one for them with their "Joshua Tree". Achtung baby is Irrespective of its legacy.

Overall: what bothered me about HTDAAB what its unfulfilling hype intended. Nobody though ( talking about their Marketing team ) about how easily forgettable it is, how bad it sound when aging U2 try to find a new "With Or Without You", "Where The Streets Have No Name", etc. The outcome is annoying and pityful.
The music is common knowledge because we already had ATYCLB.
There´s so much from ATYCLB here that´s really annoying.
what´s the nature of this album ?... CASH.

Now song by song:

1- Zoo Station v/s Vertigo: No words needed. Zoo Station

2- EBTTRT v/s Miracle Drug: I can´t vote for that With or Without You ripped off ( if you don´t believe me, try to play it, at least during the first verses they used the same chords ). EBTTRT.

3- One v/s Sometimes: No words needed. I can´t vote for the new Celine Dion´s "My Heart Will Go On". I can´t support a man who uses his father´s death to make money. Shameful

4- UTEOTW v/s Love And Peace: This voting is getting obvious, but it´s the truth my friends. UTEOTW is far better.

5- WGRYWH v/s City Of Blinding Lights: for the first time, we have a competition here. I´ll be nice, City Of Blinding Lights.

6- So Cruel v/s All Because Of You: you know which song is better. So Cruel

7- The Fly v/s A man And A Woman: nobody say A Man is better. By miles, The Fly wins.

8- Mysterious Ways v/s Crums For Your Table. While HTDAAB is going down and down by showing its monotony, Acthung Baby still have so much to show us. Mysterious Ways by far.

9- TTYAATW v/s One Step Closer: No competition, TTYAATW by far.

10- Ultraviolet v/s Original Of The Species: While Ultraviolet is a musical standpoint, Original Of The Species goes nowhere with all those unhelpful chords and changes. Ultraviolet

11- Yahweh v/s Acrobat: Do I have to say it ?. Acrobat

12- Love Is Blindness v/s Fast Cars: Without this song, Achtung Baby would be less substantial, because it´s their most outstanding ending for the album. Fast Cars could have been far better, but it´s just a half-finished song. Love Is Blindness.

HTDAAB won´t be a classic, it´s too little if you compare with the real classic U2, sorry folks

:tsk:

Man, with such insight, you must write for a music magazine, or something.. Just out of interest when you said:

" Zoo Station v/s Vertigo: No words needed. Zoo Station" I would be grateful if you could give your expert opinion on why no words were , eh, needed. Many thanks...

I think it is very silly to compare the first song of AB to the first song of HTDAAB and so on. How does that makes any sense? As if Vertigo was meant to be the Zoo Station of HTDAAB.
HTDAAB is a total different album than AB is, just as JT is different than TUF, like every U2 album is different. The big problem U2 face is that everytime they make a new record they have to compete with themselves and their great back catalogue. That is a very very difficult task, because people like to compare and people always tend to like the previous album more. I keep saying it's very great that U2 still is capable of making such great music. How many bands are able to say that after 20 years? We should be thankful they are still around, they could as well be doing something else and leave us with the wannabes of todays music. I am glad they don't, and that they still are able to amaze me after being a fan for over 20 years. And believe me, i don't like everything they do.

ponkine said:
I´m a musician, I can clearly realise when an album is plenty filler ( like this one ) talking in terms of music composition, this album is really nothing to worry about. With these singsong releases the band have sold out, sadly :( :(

You're a musician. I'm pleased to hear it. Are you assuming that you're the only musician on this board? If so, you're wrong. I mean no disrespect to you, but what you said was incredibly patronising.

Sadly she´s right. That´s painful, really.

I've only been on this board for a couple of months, but so far, I've had many interesting debates with other fans, frequently heated, because of the passion we feel for our band. Quite how that makes us "blinded and brainwashed" is beyond me.

With reference to your second point above: I don't believe we are that dense.

... but on the other hand we´ll find fans who still love EVERY U2 action, no matter how bad it is.

Well, that's true, I suppose that if Bono farted and released it as a record, there are people who would buy it. That's not the majority of us though!!!

Last edited:
It is true that Achtung is by far better than HTDAAB, but no u2 albums are the same so you can't compare them like that. I personally rate song 1-5, and Achtung has average of 4.45 and HTDAAB 4.09

Back
Top Bottom