Why "Holy Joe" to launch PopMart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hibricc

Refugee
Sure, we can all speculate, but has anybody ever heard from the band or management why the heck they played "Holy Joe" at that KMart press conference?

Because if they played Mofo, almost everyone would have freaked out.

(that's what they did when Discoth?que was released)

Holy Joe is a rocking tune, I like it.

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
Cause a lot of people would yell, "Holy Joe" when they saw the big Lemon!

Speaking of big lemons...

What a disapointment.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

The reason why they played holy joe was because Discotheque wasn't doing that well at the time and the single needed a shot in the arm to keep it in the charts.
I guess they figured that by playing holy joe, which was discotheque's bside, the single would get further attention and sales would increase (this didn't happen).

They also wanted to buy time until the second single was released from Pop (which didn't happen for a full 21/2 months after the Kmart press conference).

I believe that one of the major reasons why Pop fizzled after 3 weeks is due to Discotheque being released so far ahead of the album. It was leak to radio in the 3rd week of december 1996. By the time Pop came out at the beginning of March and staring at the sun's release in mid April, everyone had lost interest. They should have approached the album like achtung baby and release 2 singles straight away (one after the other).
Just a thought.

soctheo

The reason they played it is because, um, it's not a very good song, and, well...

Oh, never mind.
biggrin.gif

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

Um... Discotheque was released for the first time the day of the K-Mart Pop-Mart press conference...

------------------
But that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
-Dennis Miller

Dressing like your sister, living like a tart. They don't know what you're doing, babe it must be art. You're a headache... in a suitcase... You're a star.
come september alot can change
summer's love turns to winter's pain in new york

Originally posted by soctheo:
The reason why they played holy joe was because Discotheque wasn't doing that well at the time and the single needed a shot in the arm to keep it in the charts.
I guess they figured that by playing holy joe, which was discotheque's bside, the single would get further attention and sales would increase (this didn't happen).

They also wanted to buy time until the second single was released from Pop (which didn't happen for a full 21/2 months after the Kmart press conference).

I believe that one of the major reasons why Pop fizzled after 3 weeks is due to Discotheque being released so far ahead of the album. It was leak to radio in the 3rd week of december 1996. By the time Pop came out at the beginning of March and staring at the sun's release in mid April, everyone had lost interest. They should have approached the album like achtung baby and release 2 singles straight away (one after the other).
Just a thought.

soctheo

I don't think this is exactly right. Discotheque as a single was doing very well at the time of the press conference. In fact, one of the questions asked of the band was 'how does it feel to shoot right back into the top 10?'

I believe that Holy Joe was played because, as many of you have said, it needed very little rehearsal and could be pulled off very quickly. Just my 2 cents
smile.gif

------------------
Peace on Earth.

Originally posted by hibricc:
Sure, we can all speculate, but has anybody ever heard from the band or management why the heck they played "Holy Joe" at that KMart press conference?

It's a mystery, but like the rosary, it's a joyful mystery.

Don't know why they played Holy Joe, but whatever your views on Popmart, that press conference would have to be one of Bono's funniest (if perhaps not finest) moments.

Back
Top Bottom