Why Henry Rollins is an idiot - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:51 PM
Why Henry Rollins is an idiot

Darryl Morden

U2's activist frontman Bono is taking on too many causes, according to actor, singer, spoken-word poet, and pundit Henry Rollins.

"I think if the guy is doing something, it's better than nothing--but I just wonder if he's following through," the ex-Black Flag frontman told Britain's Sunday Mirror.

Rollins is in no way a U2 fan, but respects Bono's convictions. "I hate this guy's music, but I like the idea of absolving Third World debt, because otherwise these people are going to die. So if he's using all that rock-star power, well, right on. Like he's Mr. Africa Third World Debt Guy, which is a huge issue, but now, he's Mr. AIDS Guy. Well, wait a minute, how did you go from Third World debt to AIDS?"

Rollins is skeptical about the timing of the activism as well, suggesting to the Mirror, "Is this a crusade or really good promo for U2's new Greatest Hits album? I have to think his heart's in the right place. I think he's a boring singer, but I don't think he's a bad man."

Uh...how did Bono make that giant leap from debt to AIDS? BECAUSE DEBT MEANS THEY CAN'T PAY FOR THE DRUGS, YOU MINDLESS MORON! *sigh* He is serious, do you think? Whatever. Anyway, just had to rant.

Don't forget to send your letter to drop the debt to John Snow, our new Sec. of the Treasury! It's at the link in my sig (which you might need to cut and paste if you can't click on it!)

SD

Old 01-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I've already posted this story twice in U2News if you want to join the discussion over there too!

Old 01-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:51 PM
rollins isn't worth my time.

come to think of it, he's not worth bono's either.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
rollins isn't worth my time.

come to think of it, he's not worth bono's either.

Exactly. He's just such an angry angry person. I never understood the appeal.

He's coming to my city while on his spoken word tour thing. I should go just to throw a pickle at him or something.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

He's not even worth the time it takes to dill a pickle... hit that sucker with a cucumber
Old 01-08-2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Refugee

well i used to think of henry rollins as a pretty cool guy. then he came to my university and spoke. he then went on to talk about what an idiot john f kennedy jr was, and that kind of pissed me off. but when he started to attack u2 that was it. i respect that he is intitaled to his opinion as far as u2 goes but what has he done that is so great? nothing! he is to me a very ignorant person. when he comes on tv which is very little i turn the tv. who really cares about what he thinks, i am sure bono and the rest of the band do not loose any sleep over this at all.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Rollins is a real piece of work. The guy rips the greatest rock band in the world when he doesn't have an ounce of talent in him. I've heard some of his music before -- at worst it's annoying and thoroughly loathesome; at best, it's hilarious (unintentionally). Rollins acting career is even more ridiculous (Johnny Mnemonic, The Chase, Jack Frost, etc). But it's really gutless to blast someone working on an important world crisis.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by RickFly
well i used to think of henry rollins as a pretty cool guy. then he came to my university and spoke. he then went on to talk about what an idiot john f kennedy jr was, and that kind of pissed me off. but when he started to attack u2 that was it. i respect that he is intitaled to his opinion as far as u2 goes but what has he done that is so great? nothing! he is to me a very ignorant person. when he comes on tv which is very little i turn the tv. who really cares about what he thinks, i am sure bono and the rest of the band do not loose any sleep over this at all.
Why'd he call JFK Jr. an idiot?

I don't care if Henry Rollins doesn't care for U2's music or things like that-that's fine, everyone's got their tastes and all that.

But he just never quits-it's like his life is spent doing nothing more than criticizing U2 (and Bono in particular) and things like that. He just rarely has anything nice to say. I think it's pretty sad. And you're right, the guys in U2 just shrug it off. They're mature enough not to respond and stoop to his level.

And like you guys have said, he hasn't done much worth noting as of late (except hosting now cancelled Sci-Fi shows, commenting on various VH1 shows, and doing small tours here and there). It's sheer jealousy. He's just ticked because his music's gone practically nowhere and U2's has.

I feel like saying "grow up" to him.

Maybe if he took all that time he spends cutting down U2 and used it to work on his music, he could really do something.

Angela
Old 01-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I saw the headline for this story on @U2 and just sort of rolled my eyes. Yeah, like that!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

he must need the money to appear on shows and do this spoken word tour, because apparantely he owns like a million records. why do i say this? because for the top 100 (fill in something here) countdowns on vh1, he appears on like 88 of them, talking about how big of a fan he is! he must be pouring his money into buying cd after cd of martha and the vandellas, and then having to go buy that new jewel cd.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

i believe he had something to say on every one of the top 100 albums except for the u2 ones... this guy's just a wanker... he was fine when he was just a punk rocker who didn't talk to main street press, now that he's some kind of spoken word dork who thinks he can act... blah... he's just boring. i'm tellin' ya... henry showed up back stage at an early u2 club show back in like '79 and all he wanted to do was meet the band, and bono blew him off or something... there has to be something to set off this guy's hatred for u2... maybe a u2 spy plane crashed and killed his puppy as a kid... something had to happen... on a side note, paul pierce stinks (sorry... espn's on the tv and it's disgusting to watch)
Old 01-08-2003, 09:41 PM   #12
Refugee

he said he was an idiot because of his whole plane fasination and for being a privaleged brat. he couldnt help being from the family he was born into no more than we can. all rollins does is bitch bitch bitch. i sort of feel sorry for the little worm.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:44 PM   #13
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
henry showed up back stage at an early u2 club show back in like '79 and all he wanted to do was meet the band, and bono blew him off or something... there has to be something to set off this guy's hatred for u2...
you're right. i just wish he'd finally come out and say what the hell his problem with them is. this whole "grr U2 sucks" attitude is so pathetic because he's never given any reason as to why he hated them in the first place. sure, he's come out and said why he hates them now, but since he's a 1337 underground hard core punker boi, he knew about them before they even formed.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:57 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:51 AM
One word: DATA

That's the charity organization Bono founded - and DATA deals with both debt and AIDS (and trade). If Rollins did ANY type of homework he'd know this.

Also, he'd know that the reason Bono is pushing on the debt relief so much is because of AIDS. People, no, nations in Africa can't afford medicine because of their debt. Relieve the debt burden and now maybe a whole generation of people won't die due to the disease. This isn't the bubonic plague of a few centuries back or even the flu epidemic of 1918 (where 20 million people worldwide died). We now have the technology to treat a deadly disease - but we may still lose millions of people to it because of greed. If Rollins had ANY intelligence at all (and based on his movie choices and pathetic TV hosting gigs, clearly he does not), he'd see this.

Why do the morons always get the most attention? Are we that easily amused? Sigh...
Old 01-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #15
The Fly

One word for Rollins: Asshat

Who the fuck is this guy anyway?
He's managed to emabarass everyone, what an idiot.

I hope he joins Pearl Jam or Limp Bullshit.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Exactly. He's just such an angry angry person. I never understood the appeal.

He's coming to my city while on his spoken word tour thing. I should go just to throw a pickle at him or something.
Heck, I'd picket. What would my sign say? Maybe "Stop the Idiocy".