Why have I started to skip LAPOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Macphisto-UK

The Fly
This was one of my top 2 tracks off the album when it was first released but for some reason at the moment I really don't like it.

I've never had an experience of liking a song (well a U2 one) so much to disliking it like I do at the moment.

It's the only one on the album that over time I have liked less, I either thought they got better or stayed the same.

-Macphisto-UK said:

It's the only one on the album that over time I have liked less, I either thought they got better or stayed the same.

maybe there is an upswing around the corner...........

THESE days i find that song absolutely irresistable.....

I used to skip it alot too. Now I love this song, especially turned up. Maybe skip the intro and get straight to the "Lay Down".

^
It is alright, one of my favorites on the album owns COBL's intro anyday, week, month or year:wink:

ElectricalVoice said:

Just curious. Do you like Zooropa - the song?
Are you crazy? Zooropa has the best_payoff_ever barnone, that last section where that flanged 'signal' like guitar rips in then into the "and we have no compass" is absolute genius...

I've known it for years and it still gives me chills, which is more than i can say for even streets, LAPOE is nothing compared

One of my "I hate U2 and bash them at every chance I get" friends listened to the album with me over the weekend. Not only did he not say anything negative but he actually commented that he really liked this song. :up:

ElectricalVoice said:

Just curious. Do you like Zooropa - the song?
Hmm, Zooropa has really 2 payoffs though, the first part when Edge's guitar comes in and the whole consumer goods cection when you realized the whole song wasn't pianio, and then the orgasmic last part of the song, with all the inspiring shit.

When I first got the album LAPOE was by far my favorite song. Loved the long intro then blasting into the song. It just grooved along and I was totally into it.

Things changed now though. I've listened to the entire song maybe 5 times in the last 3 months. It does absolutely nothing for me anymore, and i don't know why. :| I'm sure it'll be great live, but as an album song it just sounds so hollow and immediate to me now.

U2 songs come and go for me. I remember hating "With Or Without You" for years and then maybe 10 or 12 years (YEARS) later falling in love with this song. The grace and power of it all. Somehow in my youth I missed it.

LAPOE will eventually come back into favor 'cos it kicks ass!

I don't like LAPOE, the beginning turns me off, like I skip Streets when I listen to JT because I don't like waiting. I'm impaitent. Once in the middle of LAPOE I'm cool, but see, I so totally skip it now.

neva liked it much, my least favorite on the album, equal last with man and a woman

adam3000 said:
Too long of a build up, not enough pay off.
Yeah, I agree. It was one of my first favorites on the album, but now it kind of drags along and never takes off. It would've benefited from some more wanky guitarwork, but that's not exactly Edge's forte.

It's a shame too, since it's one of the few songs on the album that has the least bit to do with dismantling atomic bombs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom