Why dost thou love Pop so much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that it's nice to have a calm thread about POP

I'm not exactly sure whether I would call it a mature discussion since the people who don't rate it one of U2 's 5 best albums don't even dare to post their views anymore

The 2 albums that hold the strongest memories for me are Pop and ATYCLB. Both came out at times in my life that were not so great and I found solace in putting on my headphones and filling my soul with the music. All of the other hold memories kind of like a scrapbook but those 2 stand out.

Pop came out when I was personally in a very bad state of mind and probably near a breakdown. One of the few things I ventured out to do was go to see Popmart and wouldnt have even done that if I already didnt have the tickets...thank god I had them! Once I pulled everything together I kind of ignored Pop because it made me think back to that time. In the last few months and few weeks in particular I have been listening to it again quite alot and have realized how much I love it.

ATYCLB came out when we found out my dad had Cancer and then there were issues going on with my brother and his family. I found alot of comfort in it for some reason.

Salome said:
I agree that it's nice to have a calm thread about POP

I'm not exactly sure whether I would call it a mature discussion since the people who don't rate it one of U2 's 5 best albums don't even dare to post their views anymore

Now, who would do that, it would be suicide. Such dangerous, foolish things should be reserved for Fear Factor or Thrillseekers.

I avoided listening to Pop for a looooong time because of all the bad things I'd heard about it... but, like most people here, when I finally listened to it, there was no going back! It quickly became one of my favorite U2 albums, I think precisely because it was such a leap. They made themselves vulnerable to a lot of pressures and I admire that. I love the songs as they were, but I've been incredibly excited about all the "reworkings" of the songs (especially from Best of 90-00). The songs from Pop are ones that, for me, will be able to withstand anything the band can do to them.

:heart: Pop :heart:

There's something sooo reassuring & beautiful about "Then will there be no time for sorrow / Then will there be no time for shame" part of The Playboy Mansion.

I could just float away on the sound of his voice there.. :bliss:

HelloAngel said:
I must say, .. it's so nice to finally have a calm and mature discussion of POP.. :up:
Well... it wasn't intended to be a discussion about Pop. Just what U2 album held some of your most vivid memories... it just so happens, it is Pop for me. However, I am glad to see so many Pop fans out there! :sexywink:

oliveu2cm said:
There's something sooo reassuring & beautiful about "Then will there be no time for sorrow / Then will there be no time for shame" part of The Playboy Mansion.

I could just float away on the sound of his voice there.. :bliss:

:yes:.

I love that part of that song. :up:.

Plus, the songs on Pop have some absolutely amazing lyrics in them. Just look at the lyrics to "Gone" as an example.

Angela

I'm also glad to see this many people who like Pop,
I think that Pop is the most artistic album in their career, the music, the songs, the cover on a cd, Pop mart tour...
I think that the main reason why people didn't like it is because they expected U2 to come back to their origins, but they even took one step further than Zooropa.
Fortunately, they had to reinvent themselves which is probably a reason I am still a U2 fan. I am guessing that this stage of U2'sreinvention lasted from Achtung Baby to Pop era. With ATYCLB they proved that they can come back to the origins when ever they want. If they stayed the same, if they never changed, if they never evolved into something they are now, then probably we would not be discussing U2 in this forum, nor would the interference exist.
One of the main reasons why I like Pop so much is because of Sarajevo concert, I remember when they had a press conference and when they said that they are going to come to Sarajevo, maaaan, all those months of waiting and listening to Pop and then finally the concert on September 23, 1997, can't believe it's been more than five years!

Last edited:
vivaSA said:
Fortunately, they had to reinvent themselves which is probably a reason I am still a U2 fan. I am guessing that this stage of U2'sreinvention lasted from Achtung Baby to Pop era. With ATYCLB they proved that they can come back to the origins when ever they want. If they stayed the same, if they never changed, if they never evolved into something they are now, then probably we would not be discussing U2 in this forum, nor would the interference exist.

Bands can't win either way. If they don't evolve and try new types of music, if they just do the same thing constantly, people sit there and complain and call it boring and are all like, "Oh, gee, what a surprise, same ol' same old. Can't they try something new?"

But if a band DOES try something new and reinvents their sound, if they do evolve, then you've got people out there whining about how they're just trying to be hip or the music doesn't sound like their original stuff and they should go back to the original stuff because they don't like this new sound.

Seriously, I can just see bands pulling at their hair and screaming in frustration.

Hence why I say screw those complainers-bands are gonna do the music they want to do, if you like it, great, if you don't, well, that's fine, too.

I mean, yeah, the bands should take into consideration various things from the fans, but ultimately it's their choice what they want to do with the music-they are the ones making it, after all.

Personally, I like the various types of music in U2's albums. It makes for interesting songs, and it shows their creativity and their guts. Yay for them.

And yay for Pop.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom