"Why Don't You People Give U2 A Chance"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Its been 2 days since the track listing has been you and all I see is whinning. U2 sould have done this, U2 should have done that. You havn't even heard any of the songs yet! U2 hasn't spent all those hours just to make you people mad they picked it for a reason and we don't know what they have in mind for the future. Come on people!!!

I Like This Thread Better... ;)

I think what people need to realize is that the Best Of CD is just ONE CD (not including the B-sides). There's only so much they can put on. Some of us may find ourselves shocked and saying, But what about this song and that song, etc?

Let's face it...U2 just has too much damn good music out...it's almost a crime to have to try to whittle down the 90's to fit on one CD. :D

I'm just excited for an official U2 release coming up!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!! :dance: :heart: :dance:

adamswildhoney said:
Me too BC! I cant wait for it to come!:laugh:

Same here.

There's just too much bitchin' about U2 in this forum!:huh:

I :heart: U2 The bad, the good, the excellent, the magic, the horrible, the MUSIC! :cute: :hug: :heart:

I can't wait for the new release!

I agree. I am personally getting tired of all the whining.

Why cant we just be happy that U2 is DOING SOMETHING.

How would we feel if they just decided to call it quits and stop putting records out?

As long as they're making new music and putting records out I AM HAPPY.

No fucking doubt, really people they owe us nothing. You might say they owe us for their succes but they have no-one to thank but themselves.

What if they decided to make one greatest hits for all their records!!! Then imagine the bitching!!! And if we all are so called big U2 fans we have all the cds anyways so if you dont have walk on on the best of pop in Atyclb baby!

bonoman said:
No fucking doubt, really people they owe us nothing. You might say they owe us for their succes but they have no-one to thank but themselves.

What if they decided to make one greatest hits for all their records!!! Then imagine the bitching!!! And if we all are so called big U2 fans we have all the cds anyways so if you dont have walk on on the best of pop in Atyclb baby!

I agree, there is too much bitching about the track selection. I am sure many will be happy that the POP songs were remixed so that we will hear better versions, or at lest versions U2 deems to be better. Also, there is no point in hoping Please could have made it, it never had a chance.

Let's just sit back, listen to the great songs, the reworked versions, and the new tracks, otherwise we can always make a CD-R compilation of what should have been there.

Cheers,

J

I like this thread

I have an idea to all the people unhappy with the track selection....

You tell me what songs you wish were on it and I'll make you your own personalized disk of Best of.

Better yet, everyone has cd burners...so you could prolley make it yourself.

I believe I said this in another thread...but this is better than nothing.....

Don't worry, we can have it all...

I was just being sarcastic when I posted the "news flash" below in another thread. But the following news is true - "U2 has decided that all songs from 1990-2000 will be available to the public at the local record store or on the net for those people wanting more than the 'Best Of' songs". I got excited when saw this, but then I realized - I already have every song, legal or not, that U2 has EVER made...so what am I going to do? I guess I could buy the Best of Release for two new songs and 4 new versions...is it that easy?

News Flash!!!
I first heard this yesterday, and thought for sure it was a joke. But now, it has been confirmed by TWO very reliable sources. Now this straight off of the AP wire. It should be up on youtwo.net today.

9-2-02. AP.
"It just seems like U2 cannot keep anything a secret these days. First the new single 'leaks' out onto the net, and now the news of 2 separate 'Best Of' albums has surfaced in the UK and Ireland", quips DJ and remixer of several U2 tunes, Paul Oakenfeld.

A spokesperson for the band hardly denied the rumor earlier today, stating that "U2 wanted to call the second, secret release 'The Worst of U2:1990-2000', just to capture the irony and the 'f**k up the mainstream mentality' of that period." Interscope intervened, though, and now we're told by a record executive that it will simply be called "The Best of 1990-2000 II", and it will be released on November 18, 2002."

"Releasing three albums in three consecutive weeks is pretty aggressive, even by U2 standards. However, they have the material to do it, and this is sure to keep back catalog sales surging as well as satisfy fans with some additional new and reworked material", said the band spokesperson.

The unconfirmed tracklisting (although given out by the band's spokesman) is as follows:

Zooropa
Ground beneath her feet
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
So cruel
Acrobat
Ultraviolet Rays
Playboy Mansion (reworked)
In the Name of the Father (remixed)
Kite
Bulldozer (hard rockin' tune)
Wild Honey
I feel free (supposedly based on Until the End of the World?)
New York (reworked lyrics)
Peace on Earth/Walk On (similar to the tribute version)

All I can say is this rocks! There are still a few of the b-sides missing, but I like this tracklisting as much as the first album. Now we can have our cake and eat it, too. Can anyone else verify? Who has the inside track? This sounds to good to be true, but it's leaking out everywhere right now.

Re: I Like This Thread Better... ;)

Bonochick said:
I think what people need to realize is that the Best Of CD is just ONE CD (not including the B-sides). There's only so much they can put on. Some of us may find ourselves shocked and saying, But what about this song and that song, etc?

Let's face it...U2 just has too much damn good music out...it's almost a crime to have to try to whittle down the 90's to fit on one CD. :D

I'm just excited for an official U2 release coming up!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!! :dance: :heart: :dance:

Sorry, BC, I disagree. :shocked:

I think most people approve of the main CD. As we all know, the 80's "Best Of" mostly contained single releases and a remake of an older U2 song. Compared to the 80's "Best Of" this 90's "Best Of" truly shines. U2 did a wonderful job of mixing up the song-list (i.e., they didn't just put their singles on there), they threw in two brand new songs and they remixed some older songs. This is outstanding and I think we are all excited to hear it. :cute:

However, as happy as we are with the main CD, I think people are very unhappy with the b-sides CD. :madspit: The b-sides is where the 80's "Best Of" stands-out. Although most collectors, like me, already had those 80's b-sides, many newer fans did not - with some having never heard them before. This is what made that b-side disc so great.

U2 have made many wonderful b-sides in the 90's with many new songs and cover songs. Yet, instead of featuring those songs, U2 decided to include numerous remixes on the b-sides. One or two remixes would have been fine - especially for a song that arguably should have been featured on the main CD but wasn't because of space limitations (e.g. "Lemon"). But to have almost the entire b-side CD consist of remixes is too much. :yell:

Supposedly the DVD that comes with this collection will have some of those great 90's b-sides. While this is wonderful, it only works if one has a DVD player around. For example, if I wanted to listen to those wonderful b-sides songs at work, I can't (unless I bring in the originals or make my own CD) because my computer there does not have a DVD-ROM. I can only hear them on the DVD (or my old singles).

In other words, I think the DVD would have been the place to throw some of these remixes and the b-sides CD should have contained some of U2's 90's era new and cover b-side songs.

And it's here that I think most U2 fans agree. Again, we are all happy with the main CD, but the b-sides CD is just "off." :coocoo:

I do agree with one thing though... it is SUPER DELUXE to have new U2 coming out. :dance:

Last edited:
Re: Don't worry, we can have it all...

beLIEve said:
The unconfirmed tracklisting (although given out by the band's spokesman) is as follows:

Zooropa
Ground beneath her feet
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
So cruel
Acrobat
Ultraviolet Rays
Playboy Mansion (reworked)
In the Name of the Father (remixed)
Kite
Bulldozer (hard rockin' tune)
Wild Honey
I feel free (supposedly based on Until the End of the World?)
New York (reworked lyrics)
Peace on Earth/Walk On (similar to the tribute version)

If this is ture... and I'm still not convinced it is, I will definitely be running to buy it. Just like the main 90's "Best Of" disc (a-sides), this supposed third disc features a great mix of U2's 90's songs, remixes of some of the originals and 2 brand new songs (including "Bulldozer"!). The new songs alone already make it a worthwhile purchase. If U2 released this, in addition to the other "Best Of" CDs, it would be a wonderful addition to any fans' collection.

However, no offense, but until I see OTHER sources confirming this, I won't get my hopes up at all. ;)

Last edited:
Just to reiterate, be happy we have new U2!!! 2 new songs + the new remixes, what more could you ask for from a Best Of that's traditionally old material. They're marketing genuises be putting new material on there to give people a reason to buy it and the chance to gain new fans!

If you want your own best of, go out and make it or have someone make it for you! It's called your favorites and people have been doing this for awhile!!!

Get a grip and be happy!!!

The ones that I thought should be on there are on the DVD, Elevation and Walk On will be on the next Best Of and I imagine they're saving the rest for a box set!! There's a plan people and I bet they're smarter than most of us will ever be!!

Enjoy it, how many other bands are still giving you new material since the late 70's!!!!! :yes: :yes:

zoocarolina said:
Just to reiterate, be happy we have new U2!!! 2 new songs + the new remixes, what more could you ask for from a Best Of that's traditionally old material. They're marketing genuises be putting new material on there to give people a reason to buy it and the chance to gain new fans!

If you want your own best of, go out and make it or have someone make it for you! It's called your favorites and people have been doing this for awhile!!!

The ones that I thought should be on there are on the DVD, Elevation and Walk On will be on the next Best Of and I imagine they're saving the rest for a box set!! There's a plan people and I bet they're smarter than most of us will ever be!!

Enjoy it, how many other bands are still giving you new material since the late 70's!!!!! :yes: :yes:

:up:

Agree 100%. The only think I complained in the original thread, the one about the track list for the new Best Of/B-Sides, was exactly the excess of complaints, all the bitching and moaning on something you haven?t even listened yet. I thought it was just me though...

Last edited:
zoocarolina said:

I'm personally pretty darn happy with the a-side disc. The b-side, well... not so much. But hey, I LOVE :heart: remixes, so it's all good. And, since I already have all the b-sides because I'm a freaking freakazoid collector who loves CD singles, I don't mind not having a b-side CD with all those songs.

Still, I think it's a fan's job to comment on a band - good or bad. To just accept it because it's new is too fanatical even for me. :D

Just for the record...

I:heart: U2
To be honest i have been so fascinated by Aurora's insect thread i had quite forgotten to check out what U2 are up to. I always had total faith in U2. I may not have instantly loved every song they have released...but almost:sexywink:
I have yet to hear something they have released that hasn't reflected their desire to please us all.
So yes, chill pills and patience and pizzas to you all.

I am personally very very excited at what is to come. So many truly great musicians, no longer can or will perform, so every note is precious imho.
:larry: :up:
:bono: :wave:
:edge: :angel:
:adam: :dance:

stay well

THERE'S A U2 BEST OF COMING OUT??????????

JESUS J. CHRIST!!!!!

why didn't anyone tell me???

:angry: :scratch:

ok....so what's the track order???

:D :macdevil:

Re: I like this thread

daisybean said:
I have an idea to all the people unhappy with the track selection....

You tell me what songs you wish were on it and I'll make you your own personalized disk of Best of.

Better yet, everyone has cd burners...so you could prolley make it yourself.

I believe I said this in another thread...but this is better than nothing.....

Really, no kidding.

I agree with those of you who are sick of the complaining.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom