Why don't they...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
U2 spends a lot of time in the studio when they're recording, and it seems they usually end up with over 20 songs. So, why don't they just record 23 songs or so?

If they did it that way, they could release an album, tour through the US and Europe, and then release another album, and then tour through the US, Australia, and Japan, all within about 18 months. Two albums for a single, full tour.

Just a thought.

They don't do that because out of the 20 songs, only about 11 or 12 are deemed good enough to put on an album. The rest are saved for B-sides or to be fiddled with/re-arranged for another time.

Still, a double album would be nice. :hmm:

It's about time they made a proper double album since Rattle and Hum / Pop etc. don't count. I'd love them to just muck around a bit and make loads of different stuff, sort of like a White Album, without having to stick to one theme/sound like they do with most of their albums!!

gareth brown said:
It's about time they made a proper double album since Rattle and Hum / Pop etc. don't count.

I've heard Rattle and Hum considered a double album ( I guess divided b/w live and new material) and I agree this isn't proper--it's not delivered on two units so why is it considered a double album? Also, why did you include Pop here? I'm not aware of this classification. The only other U2 albums I would consider to be doubles are the Best Ofs.

The band had enough making a coherent album from HTDAAB, and even Bono's said the whole wasn't more than the sum of its part.

Give me one great, coherent album instead of a meandering, watered-down R&H clone anyday.

Achtung_Bebe said:

I've heard Rattle and Hum considered a double album ( I guess divided b/w live and new material) and I agree this isn't proper--it's not delivered on two units so why is it considered a double album? Also, why did you include Pop here? I'm not aware of this classification. The only other U2 albums I would consider to be doubles are the Best Ofs.

Rattle and Hum is/was a double album originally on vinyl.
In fact I have R&H on vinyl, with the two records.

But it's time duration was able to be squeezed on one compact disc, so the record company saved some money, and it's now basically a single album. So there you go.

There are several albums that have been condensed to one disc, for time, effort and money's sake, but as far as I'm concerned Rattle and Hum will always be a double album in the truest sense of the word.

Whatever the POP discussion is, I have no idea.

Canadiens1160 said:
The band had enough making a coherent album from HTDAAB, and even Bono's said the whole wasn't more than the sum of its part.

Give me one great, coherent album instead of a meandering, watered-down R&H clone anyday.
:up:

11 songs and roughly 50 minutes of play time is more than enough for U2 albums.

You have to relaise that when they filter 23 songs down to 11 then even then there are still some stinkers (IMO).

An anthology boxed set of outtakes/session and live recordings would be great, but I think that they've already done that with the i-tunes thing.

Why don't they just take an extra six months? That way we'd still get two albums in three years instead of two albums in seven years (i.e., we've only gotten two new U2 albums since 1997 -- that's two in nine years, actually).

And I think the double album idea is unlikely, and unwise.

Canadiens1160 said:
The band had enough making a coherent album from HTDAAB, and even Bono's said the whole wasn't more than the sum of its part...

Seems like making an album would get easier after 30 years in the practice!

U2mixer said:
You have to relaise that when they filter 23 songs down to 11 then even then there are still some stinkers (IMO).

If you ask me, part of the reason some are stinkers is because they are over-worked and over-produced. If U2 would just spend a few months on an album and release something retaining its raw energy, I think it would be much better.

Plus, I often feel that U2 don't include some great songs. For example, I find it inexplicable why Spanish Eyes didn't make The Joshua Tree but Trip did; that North And South Of The River didn't make Pop but Playboy Mansion did; that Fast Cars or Xanax And Wine and Smile weren't HTDAAB tracks when A Man And A Woman was, et cetera.

you're so funny ozeeko!
:|
They *did* include Fast Cars on the super-deluxe version, ya know...
I think they chose AMAAW over Fast Cars because it *fit* better thematically with HTDAAB, just like Trip fit better than Spanish Eyes and like Playboy Mansion fit on Pop. Don't ya think?
What, you think they were aiming for an "overproduced" sound? Isn't it just that want to have a certain coherence, a certain precision...I see the idea of 'rawness' in like their desire to claim punkrock as an inspiration, but I don't think of their energy as exactly a spontaneous raw jammy kinda vibe somehow...

ShellBeThere said:
you're so funny ozeeko!
I think they chose AMAAW over Fast Cars because it *fit* better thematically with HTDAAB, just like Trip fit better than Spanish Eyes and like Playboy Mansion fit on Pop. Don't ya think?
What, you think they were aiming for an "overproduced" sound? Isn't it just that want to have a certain coherence, a certain precision...I see the idea of 'rawness' in like their desire to claim punkrock as an inspiration, but I don't think of their energy as exactly a spontaneous raw jammy kinda vibe somehow...

Well, cohesion-speaking, they should've axed AMAAW and then trimmed the rest of the fat until they had a successful and cohesive 5 SONG E.P.!

E.P.

1) Native Son
2) Fast Cars
3) Crumbs From Your Table
4) All Because Of You - alternate
5) Mercy

That would have acceptable.

Fast Cars is an HTDAAB track as far as I'm concerned,

it was on the standard album in the UK so I see it as nothing else.

Well here in the states it's only on certain editions. And it's the best song out of the bunch! What a crock. U2 is fucking stupid with their decisions.

ShellBeThere said:
you're so funny ozeeko!

Do you really think AMAAW fit thematically better on HTDAAB than Fast Cars? I think not, definitely.
First, Fast Cars has got the title of the album in its lyrics, second it makes reference about the feeling missing something or the empty caused by someone (I guess Bono's refering to his father, isn't he?...) and then the musical feeling of the song remembers me of something faster, like running away from something. That's really gives the impression of dizzyness... like in Vertigo or LAPOE or ABOY, although is not a rock'n'roll song like these last ones. Fast Cars would be with any doubt a great single, and probably another hit.
AMAAW... well, is not a raw rock song like the album overall feeling (only OSC could really escape from there), thematically it does not have anything related with the album feeling. I think it could be a hit, MTV would definitely take it and air it several times, but it looks like a Maroon5 song, not a U2 mid-00's songs.
I think I had already said (well, I think, not sure lol) that I'd rather have (and it'd fit) Fast Cars and Mercy in the final tracklist than AMAAW.

Anyway, back on earth, I'm just going to restate that I didn't mean they should record a double album. I meant they should spend an extra six months in the studio and record two entirely seperate albums at the same time. Then release one of those albums. Only one. A single album. Not a double album. Then tour for eight months. Then take a break for a few months. Then release the other of those albums. Only one. A single album. Not a double album. And then finish the tour. Sort of like Achtung Baby --> ZooTV --> Zooropa --> ZooTV, only having it all recorded out at the beginning (so they don't have to go into the studio for two months in the middle of a tour for anything other than "single versions" of songs).

Aygo said:

Do you really think AMAAW fit thematically better on HTDAAB than Fast Cars? I think not, definitely.
First, Fast Cars has got the title of the album in its lyrics, second it makes reference about the feeling missing something or the empty caused by someone (I guess Bono's refering to his father, isn't he?...) and then the musical feeling of the song remembers me of something faster, like running away from something. That's really gives the impression of dizzyness... like in Vertigo or LAPOE or ABOY, although is not a rock'n'roll song like these last ones. Fast Cars would be with any doubt a great single, and probably another hit.
AMAAW... well, is not a raw rock song like the album overall feeling (only OSC could really escape from there), thematically it does not have anything related with the album feeling. I think it could be a hit, MTV would definitely take it and air it several times, but it looks like a Maroon5 song, not a U2 mid-00's songs.
I think I had already said (well, I think, not sure lol) that I'd rather have (and it'd fit) Fast Cars and Mercy in the final tracklist than AMAAW.

Wow, you sounded like me up there mate. For the first time I totally agree with you. For the first time you didn't attack me for disliking HTDAAB. For the first time...I feel loved.

the tourist said:
Anyway, back on earth, I'm just going to restate that I didn't mean they should record a double album. I meant they should spend an extra six months in the studio and record two entirely seperate albums at the same time. Then release one of those albums. Only one. A single album. Not a double album. Then tour for eight months. Then take a break for a few months. Then release the other of those albums. Only one. A single album. Not a double album. And then finish the tour. Sort of like Achtung Baby --> ZooTV --> Zooropa --> ZooTV, only having it all recorded out at the beginning (so they don't have to go into the studio for two months in the middle of a tour for anything other than "single versions" of songs).

kind of like Kid A/Amnesiac?

that'd be cool.

ozeeko said:

Well, cohesion-speaking, they should've axed AMAAW and then trimmed the rest of the fat until they had a successful and cohesive 5 SONG E.P.!

E.P.

1) Native Son
2) Fast Cars
3) Crumbs From Your Table
4) All Because Of You - alternate
5) Mercy

That would have acceptable.

This is terrible.

I'm gonna pretend I never saw this. :whistle:

I suggest the rest of you do the same.

"Nothing to see here, move along."

MrBrau1 said:

This is terrible.

I'm gonna pretend I never saw this. :whistle:

I suggest the rest of you do the same.

"Nothing to see here, move along."

Well if you actually put any thought into my idea besides your initial knee-jerk reaction, you would notice these songs go into each other really well. If HTDAAB didn't exist and this EP did you'd be loving it. Trust me.

ozeeko said:

Well if you actually put any thought into my idea besides your initial knee-jerk reaction, you would notice these songs go into each other really well. If HTDAAB didn't exist and this EP did you'd be loving it. Trust me.

keywords: if HTDAAB didn't exist.

luckily, HTDAAB does exist. I'd much rather have HTDAAB than that EP even though I love Mercy to death.

AtomicBono said:

kind of like Kid A/Amnesiac?

that'd be cool.

Yes, kind of like Kid A/Amnesiac. It seems, thank goodness, someone finally understood what I meant instead of thinking immediately, "double-album-what?"

doubleU said:

And your pretentiousness lives on.

I'm pretentious because I believe in my hypothetical E.P. idea? I'm sorry. Long live "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"! Best album after Joshua Tree.

Back
Top Bottom