Why don't they...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ozeeko said:

I'm pretentious because I believe in my hypothetical E.P. idea?

That's not the part that I quoted. Please look.

No, you are pretentious because you assume that anyone who doesn't like your EP idea hasn't given any thought.

doubleU said:

That's not the part that I quoted. Please look.

No, you are pretentious because you assume that anyone who doesn't like your EP idea hasn't given any thought.

Not if they already put thought into it. If someone doesn't like a certain song then there's nothing I can do to help that. For someone to say "Oh, this is terrible. I wish I never saw this. I hope no one else ever sees this too", that gave me the impression that someone who lives and dies by the BOMB was offended that I took some liberties with the song inclusions, and gave me the short answer without going into detail as to why they opposed my idea.

the tourist said:
Anyway, back on earth, I'm just going to restate that I didn't mean they should record a double album. I meant they should spend an extra six months in the studio and record two entirely seperate albums at the same time. Then release one of those albums. Only one. A single album. Not a double album. Then tour for eight months. Then take a break for a few months. Then release the other of those albums. Only one. A single album. Not a double album. And then finish the tour. Sort of like Achtung Baby --> ZooTV --> Zooropa --> ZooTV, only having it all recorded out at the beginning (so they don't have to go into the studio for two months in the middle of a tour for anything other than "single versions" of songs).

Yes, I've proposed this before as well, I guess it's hard enough for them to finish and decide on 11 tracks much less two albums worth.

I think maybe they'd feel like they'd be spending their 'capital' in the wrong way. Although it would be extremely fan friendly.

Then again, they spent about as much time as anyone has taken on the last two records and it has produced, how many unique songs?? Meaning Xanax and Fast Cars for example not being unique to one another. Maybe 30 songs over that stretch?? Maybe. I am not positive.

They would need at least 25 to even think about a double album, probably more, because a handful wouldn't be up to par, just on averages.

I love the idea, I just don't think U2 would these days, maybe ever. They did do Zooropa. But this isn't the same band anymore, they don't won't to waste time on creative urges, sadly.

ozeeko said:

I'm pretentious because I believe in my hypothetical E.P. idea? I'm sorry. Long live "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"! Best album after Joshua Tree.

You do know you can burn your very own copy of your perfect HTDAAB ep, only listen to that, and be happy, don't you? Seems simple enough to me. :shrug:

U2DMfan said:

Yes, I've proposed this before as well, I guess it's hard enough for them to finish and decide on 11 tracks much less two albums worth.

I think that might have hit the nail on the head. That, and the feeling that by the time the release of the second album rolled around they wouldn't like it and would scrap it anyway. :wink:

indra said:

You do know you can burn your very own copy of your perfect HTDAAB ep, only listen to that, and be happy, don't you? Seems simple enough to me. :shrug:

I do actually have a copy of my perfect HTDAAB E.P. I was just saying it would've been great if they released it worldwide so everyone would have the pleasure. But I'm coming from fantasyland obviously. Can't turn back the clock.

ozeeko said:

I do actually have a copy of my perfect HTDAAB E.P. I was just saying it would've been great if they released it worldwide so everyone would have the pleasure. But I'm coming from fantasyland obviously. Can't turn back the clock.

Everyone can do exactly what you have done. Or they can make the perfect HTDAAB ep or album of their choice. Or they can even listen to the one the band put out.

And yes you are coming from fantasyland -- the fantasyland where everyone views things exactly the same was as you. I realise the concept that others might actually life songs you don't is shocking to you, but that's just life. And it's pretty easy to criticise what someone else has created, and say they should have done this or that, but you try creating fresh, interesting work all the time and see how easy that is. If you can turn out a better album (all original work, no cover versions or mere reordering the songs) I suggest you get working on it.

indra said:

And it's pretty easy to criticise what someone else has created, and say they should have done this or that, but you try creating fresh, interesting work all the time and see how easy that is. If you can turn out a better album (all original work, no cover versions or mere reordering the songs) I suggest you get working on it.

So you're saying there's no need for critics in this world? When I don't like something, I just tell it like it is. When I eat a bad meal at a restaurant, do I say well I guess I couldn't do any better so why say anything? No, I say the meal sucked. I don't go out and start my own restaurant just so I can have the credibility to give my opinion on food. Just like I don't have to repair U2's mistakes or try to one-up them just so I can admit I disliked something of theirs. I realize it's hard to keep coming up with quality original material. U2 is one of the only bands that have stayed somewhat consistent and relevant for such a long duration. In fact I wouldn't even have cared at all about this album if it wasn't for Bono saying "this is our first record. Vertigo is our first single on our first album. This is our greatest album." To quote a comedian who's name I forget: Those Bono remarks are the equivalent of having your cool Uncle who you've idolized all of your life come up to you on Christmas Eve by the fireplace and stick his dick in your ear. If they can't come up with a good album they might as well not release anything. You know, if it wasn't totally hyped up I wouldn't have been as disappointed. I would've just been like "eh whatever. They took a wrong turn this time. Oh well." But their "first" album? Their "first" single? Their "greatest album"? Their "hard rock" album? Their "Punk Rock From Venus" album? Gimme a fucking break.

Anyway, to get back to what you were saying before, I do plan on making a career out of recording music, and not so I can say U2's last album sucked, but for me because I love music and I believe in it.

Back
Top Bottom