why does the spanish site have the info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BestDrummer

The Fly
It seems to me that the leaks we have been sowering over the web for, has always been found by the spanish sites. Why isn't it interference.com who comes across these clips?

anyways im a long time site watcher first time poster.

well I'm not sure I should speak for all the Interfernce team here but I know that we do get alot of stuff sent to us that we try to find the validity of, get an official source etc. We have broke many news stories on the new album etc.. , we do our best to work with U2 publicity and management and oher sources and respect their wishes as well while balancing that with bringing fans what they want to know .. I might have just babbled on and not answered the question right at all.

If it's just about finding the clips , I don't think it's our policy to host any such un-offical clips but Elvis will have to tackle that one.

Maybe it's because the people who are staking out U2's digs are the hosts of the sites they are posting to. Hell, Interference (years ago) was the first site to, uh, well to leak "Discotheque".

I think since then Interference has become a respectable and newsworthy site, and maybe even has contacts within U2's organization. Why would they want to jeopardize that by hosting unofficial clips and other stuff in that vein?

Just my opinion.

I think since then Interference has become a respectable and newsworthy site, and maybe even has contacts within U2's organization. Why would they want to jeopardize that by hosting unofficial clips and other stuff in that vein?

thanks Reggie... that is a big part of the reason why ..

Katey said:

thanks Reggie... that is a big part of the reason why ..

Indeed it is.

As Reggie said, Interference leaked Discotheque, as well as POP and ATYCLB.

Leaking Discotheque was a first, not just for U2 but in general for any single of any artist being leaked. The same is true for POP, but for albums.

Back in the day, leaking material like this was a bit more of a grey area, and the Internet was not nearly as mainstream as it is now (and that was only 8 years ago). Interference was an 'undergorund' site that built it's popularity on bringing U2 fans leaks and information that no other place did.

Of course, Interference gave up it's shady ways over the years and is currently focused on providing U2 fans, and the world, with our online U2 Fan'zine, U2 News and of course our mega U2 community... the forum.

Everyone grows up eventually... right? ;)

In risk of being banned, I wouldn't consider Interference as the most reliable news site on the web. They publish ALL kind of rumours, being confirmed or not. That's what I call "shady news".

redbook said:
In risk of being banned, I wouldn't consider Interference as the most reliable news site on the web. They publish ALL kind of rumours, being confirmed or not. That's what I call "shady news".

you tend to contradict your own statement... a "rumor" is just that... rumor. if it's been confirmed, then it isn't rumor anymore, now is it? so why interference does post plenty of shady "rumors," some of which come out to be true, some of which.. eh hem.. cough cough... solar... couch... turn out to be nothing more than a hoax. but then again... that is why they're called "rumors." if interference was to start posting these rumors as official confirmed news, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. but they don't... if it isn't confirmed, they state as much.

as for the original question... well... i'd say a majority of the regular posters on interference tend to be from america... elvis is from california. it's probably about 60% from america, 40% from elsewhere, imo... we have plenty of users and mods who are from europe, and if you take a look at the meetings and sightings section, they tend to do a fine job getting us "info" ahead of time... i.e. when they're at the studio, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Of course rumors are unconfirmed...

What I mean is that Interference just publishes EVERYTHING U2 related. That's not good or bad, it's just a fact. That includes all kind of news, some turn to be true, and most of them are false.

If you see the rest of U2 sites (specially european), they are much more strict with rumors than Interference.

I consider Interference as the most extensive news source, but not the most reliable. Just that.

rumors aren't news... they're rumors... interference is largely a message board... thus anyone can post anything. but the things posted in the news section are more often than not correct... yes.. there was the whole solar thing. whoopity doo... other than that, most things posted in the NEWS section is true, cerified information... anything posted in this section that we're posting in right now is part of a message board... not the interference news section

.. eh hem.. cough cough... solar... COUCH... - Headache in a Suitcase

I thought this was pretty funny.

I believe that every time Interference posts a rumor, they begin the title of the article with the word "RUMOR: ...".

As long as Interference provides this disclaimer, I'd say that they're as reliable as any other news organization, and I'd say they're even superior to the other websites because most of us fans want to know EVERYTHING that's going on out there information-wise regarding U2, including the crazy rumors.

That's information that most of us want to know about, even if we take it all with a grain of salt, and I appreciate the extra time and effort that the Interference staff takes to provide us with every little tidbit of information that's floating around.

The fact that they go to the extra effort to post that kind of stuff means to me that they're willing to go the extra mile that other websites are not to make sure that we're kept abreast of absolutely everything that's going on out there in the ether.

Last edited:
redbook said:

If you see the rest of U2 sites (specially european), they are much more strict with rumors than Interference.

Strict? Or maybe those sites don't get all the information that the Interference staff works hard to get for us. :shrug:

Yeah I want everything too TheFirstBigW, even the rumors that turn out to be total bunk. Hey at least we read the silly rumor first. :laugh:

It's not bad publish all news U2 related, including rumors... the problem is when people assume everything it's true.... then we have swedish newspapers announcing the new album "Solaris" and things like that.

It's just two kinds of "journalism" (if we can say this in U2 fan pages), it's just I prefer not publishing everything.

I like to hear any U2 rumors floating around...the majority may turn out not to be true, but theyre still good thinking and discussion points, and there is of course the chance that a rumour will turn out to be true, and you'll have read it here first. Would you rather interference didn't reoprt any rumors, and you missed out on important news because of this?

If there was a rumor going around that Edge had grown an afro for the video for their second single, "All Because of Big Hair", then there is of course a big chance that it is complete bollocks, but i'd still want to hear it. Some of the best discussions on this board about aspects of U2 have stemmed from rumors that have later turned out to be false.

There is a large difference between, the forum and the zine portion of Interference. If it it might seem like a credible rumour then yes it might appear in the news section but I think it's always clearly stated that it's rumoured.. not confirmed.. Journalists do their absolute best to make sure their sources are credible and that they are getting the truth and even with that something might fall through the cracks..

I can tell you with out hesitation every little rumour or piece of information we get does not get published obviously on the zine and with the rumoured information we at least try and track down the sources to get some handle on it's validity .. As for the forum , it's a the fans place to chat and give opinions as long as they don't break the forum rules then we don't control what people write or think ...

If other news people pick something up and publish it without doing a little background check in to it then really thats up to them ,

Basically this is a fan run site , which I perhaps of course being biased consider to be the best on out there, all other site except for U2.com are FAN run as well, all with probably a different way of operating..

on any news site U2 related or not, not everything you read is always true no matter how confirmed someone might suggest it is.. after all it is media... Like mentioned we do our best and we just hope the fans are liking what we do

Back
Top Bottom