Why does Jon Birger of Fortune magazine hate U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is where you went horribly, horribly wrong.

Well, I guess once the word "fag" is uttered, everything else you have to say gets ignored. Sorry, but i come from the George Carlin school-of-thought that teaches a word is just a word, and the only thing that matters is the context in which it is being used. I said "Bono's a fag" deliberately because it was the lowest, dumbest, cliched insult i could think of, and given the topic of this thread, i assumed that most of the readers on this forum would be intelligent enough to read between the lines, realize that i was not attacking Bono's sexuality, but instead saying something so obviously stupid to prove a point. And the point is not that Bono is a homosexual, but to grow a thicker skin, and not throw a hissy fit everytime some random tv personality/musician/celebrity/politician, or whoever states something negative about U2. I mean, come on, aren't there some bands that YOU hate?

Um....I was not speculating or discussing Bono's sexuality. I was joking around to prove a point, the point being that it's stupid and pointless to get all riled up about someone's opinion of U2. Everytime someone in the news is quoted saying "i hate u2" or something to that degree, someone here starts a thread about it. I'm just saying...who cares!!? Is it so inconceivable that there are people out there who hate u2? And why does that make them lesser human beings? Anyone offended by such comments should seriously grow up and get a new hobby.

Well, I guess once the word "fag" is uttered, everything else you have to say gets ignored. Sorry, but i come from the George Carlin school-of-thought that teaches a word is just a word, and the only thing that matters is the context in which it is being used. I said "Bono's a fag" deliberately because it was the lowest, dumbest, cliched insult i could think of, and given the topic of this thread, i assumed that most of the readers on this forum would be intelligent enough to read between the lines, realize that i was not attacking Bono's sexuality, but instead saying something so obviously stupid to prove a point. And the point is not that Bono is a homosexual, but to grow a thicker skin, and not throw a hissy fit everytime some random tv personality/musician/celebrity/politician, or whoever states something negative about U2. I mean, come on, aren't there some bands that YOU hate?

If you want to use that word in your own home or start your own web site and use it there or whatever...fine. But we have rules here, and we do not allow members to use such an offensive word. It's unnecessary. There are more respectful and mature ways to express your opinion.

There really isn't much else to discuss pertaining to this, so I'm asking that this thread stick to the original topic from this point.

If you want to use that word in your own home or start your own web site and use it there or whatever...fine. But we have rules here, and we do not allow members to use such an offensive word. It's unnecessary. There are more respectful and mature ways to express your opinion.

There really isn't much else to discuss pertaining to this, so I'm asking that this thread stick to the original topic from this point.

You know what, the joke's on all you guys.

What I really meant to say was "Bono's a cigarette"

You know what, the joke's on all you guys.

What I really meant to say was "Bono's a cigarette"

It's not a good idea to ignore a mod, and it's pretty bad that this is the third time a mod has had to address you regarding the same issue in a thread. Consider this a warning.

Back
Top Bottom