Why does Bono say unos, rather than uno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karl

The Fly
this lyric doesn't make any sense. Proper Spanish would be uno - is there something that I'm missing.

Tell me about it! :crazy: That man is responsible for my delicate emotional state.... You know Churchill's quote about Russia, "a riddle wrapped inside a mystery in an enigma"---that's my Bono.

Last edited:
Because he likes counting 'some, two, three, fourteen'? Because he wants us to spend hours trying to figure out how his mind works? Because he wanted to apply Bongoliese to a language other than English?

There's a few theories for you.

Nope. Portuguese is 'um'. He's definetly saying "Unos, dos, tres, catorce", which translates as "a few, two, three, fourteen".

My guess, as I've said in another thread, is that he's trying to remember how many pints he had before going into the studio.:wink:

hes hilarious. maybe he didnt know what he was saying or something, who knows. it sounds to me like he says once dos tres catorce. which would be 11 2 3 14. like that makes any more sense. ohhhh why cant we have an ask bono thread?

Well, you know exactly what he's saying because that's what on the front of the Vertigo T-shirt:

U2T35420.jpg

Bono did it on purpose. He thought to himself when writing the song.."hmmm, how can I screw with interference forum member's minds...... Count crazy in spanish!"

karl said:
this lyric doesn't make any sense. Proper Spanish would be uno - is there something that I'm missing.

i originally thought he said 'onze'...French for 11...not sure on spelling!!

For some kinda whacked out speculation, check out this and scroll to near the bottom of the comments. no one has yet commented on the unos/uno thing yet though i don't think.

my uniformed and not very imaginative guess is unos sounds better than uno - though, I do agree with whomever said that this "mistake" wasn't overlooked. could be just more bonolease (sp?). In fact, Bono made up a bunch of words in this song, didn't he? Senility setting in a bit earlier? ;-) It's kinda cool that once you become a huge rock star you can just make up your own words and have like a bazillion people saying things like, "chazafor" or whatever he says in the middle of the song.

What I said was:

1, 2, 3...14!

It's obviously referring to John 1:14, John 2:14 and John 3:14--------->

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 2:14
In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money.

John 3:14
Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up.

See how it shifts/wavers from focusing on Christ to focusing on money to focusing back on Christ again? That's how we are — we're always going back-and-forth in our faith, making ourselves DIZZY. That's why it's called Vertigo. It's about our bipolar way of walking with God.

That's whatI said...but I just thought it sounded good. Thoughts? Admonishments? Edifications?

That's a pretty good theory but I don't know.

...will we ever know???

That's a pretty dumb theory.

Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! Publius Enigma!! :D

I like BrownEyedBoy's theory - you just may be on the right path! :wink:

Bono has often put hidden messages (or symbolic combinations of numbers) in U2's music to direct us in a subtle way to a greater meaning.

So while 1,2,3,14 may refer to the albums that Steve Lillywhite has produced for U2, it may also represent certain key passages from the Bible.:yes:

Or...this just might all be a small joke played on us by the B-man!:laugh:

I guess we'll just have to wait for Bono to reveal the truth.

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Back
Top Bottom