Why do you like U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Simple question.

Why do you like U2?

What about the band makes you such an addict? Why, if you don't like current U2, makes continue you post in this forum? There must be something? Is it the live shows? Is it the feelings the songs make you feel? Do you have a personal connection? Is it the work Bono does to help the world? What is it?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

gherman said:
Why do you like U2?

Because almost everything they did from the pre-Boy era to the end of the Lovetown Tour seriously appeals to me, including my favourite album ever, The Unforgettable Fire. I also adore Passengers, and they've released a handful of great songs since the end of Lovetown (e.g. Acrobat, Zooropa, Gone, TGBHF, One Step Closer).

The eighties stuff has so much passion and enthusiasm mixed with great atmosphere and soundscapes, not to mention the intelligent political and theological themes that permeate much of the material. And at the end of the day, the songs from that era just sound really bloody brilliant.

Why, if you don't like current U2, makes continue you post in this forum?

I used to like current U2. Plus, I've come to really like it here, and there's more to this forum than just talking about current U2.

And yeah, the live gigs are still pretty good.

I have a difficult time explaining how their music affects me. Something in it speaks to me (except the songs I don't like, naturally :wink: ).

So I keep it simple: I like U2's music. It makes me feel good.

I grew up with them, but over time all their music came to have it's own meaning to me. That said, I think that there is no way to put in words why you like those special songs that give you chills. I think the best way to put it is they are one of the most passionate bands out there, and their music is able to evoke every kind of emotion. Most good memories I have have a U2 song to go along with them, and that is why I like U2.

Boy

October

War

Unforgettable Fire

Joshua Tree

Rattle&Hum

Achtung Baby

Zooropa

HMTMKSKM

Passengers

Pop

M$H

Electrical Storm

HTDAAB

Window In The Skies

...and everything live from them....

...and every b-side from them...

...and most of their videos...

...and what they do outside of the band...

Because they are U2 :)

I love U2..

even though I don't like current U2 they are an amazing band :heart:

why do I stick around?

because I still enjoy their past work

and this forum is crack :wink:

corianderstem said:
I have a difficult time explaining how their music affects me. Something in it speaks to me (except the songs I don't like, naturally :wink: ).

So I keep it simple: I like U2's music. It makes me feel good.

QFT.

Wow, it really is hard to put into words why I like U2.
It's about more than the great music, it's the spiritual connection behind the lyrics that I connect with. Warning, major sap alert!! I can't help it!!

Putting it simply: The music has been a conduit for a deeper connection to God. ( not to sound all churchy, but I don't know how else to put it)... Those goosebumps and chills to me represent the Holy Spirit. "The Spirit is in house" indeed!! :)

LOVE IT!! Nobody else's music does that for me. It's just so powerful. Plus the inspiring actions of the boys outside the band. No matter what the critics say, I know they walk the talk and care about the fans.
They make us think that we can change the world , and I guess by the sheer fact of that, we are!! That's pretty incredible!
U2 = LOVE and bring us hope in a screwed up world!

Great music, great melodies. Lyrics aren't amazing but at times can be excellent. Although i don't think they've made a good album lyrically since Pop, but that's not the point. Great live band.

i love Edge's guitar "sound" :drool:

OUR THE U2 (BOTY 1979-2007) is the greatest group ever.

The Beatles, Queens, & Pinks Floyds all am cry.

:sips Bono-ade: and that's SO nice!

catlhere said:
OUR THE U2 (BOTY 1979-2007) is the greatest group ever.

The Beatles, Queens, & Pinks Floyds all am cry.

:sips Bono-ade: and that's SO nice!

Aaaand Interference strikes new levels of incoherence!

I think their album work largely is not all that great. Good, but not great.

I like U2 for their live stuff.

(Unfortunately, U2 doesn't release live albums and I can't download bootlegs cause of my shitty computer, so I have to resort to youtube.)

Their ability to alter their songs for the better and to add power to almost each one amazes me. Their live music is my favorite music of all.

phillyfan26 said:
I think their album work largely is not all that great. Good, but not great.

I like U2 for their live stuff.

(Unfortunately, U2 doesn't release live albums and I can't download bootlegs cause of my shitty computer, so I have to resort to youtube.)

Their ability to alter their songs for the better and to add power to almost each one amazes me. Their live music is my favorite music of all.

Yeah, this is pretty true. I couldn't give a toss about the studio versions of songs like Beautiful Day or WGRYWH, but I enjoy them live.

Honestly, I think U2 should create its material and then, instead of heading into the studio, take it on the road for a few months and release an album of the best pristine soundboard version of each song. Won't happen though.

Well I liked them back in the 80's... and then more recently when I discovered ATYCLB it struck a chord with me, and those songs helped me through a very low point in my life.

I think Bono is a prophet, and love that he is into social justice, and sticking it to 'the church.'

I think their music is a conduit for the holy spirit and I definately think God is with them.

I find their music uplifting and life giving.

I feel in love after listening to a copy of JT my parents had bought me. Music had never made me feel that way before. I set out on a quest to get all of their other albums as fast as my allowance and baby-sitting money would let me (I was 13 at the time). Whenever I was able to get another U2 CD, I was never disappointed. I'm still never disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom