Why do U2 suck at making videos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dudeman said:
u2 makes average to stinky videos. who cares? videos stink.
streets was good, all i want is you was great, with or without you was great, most of the rest stunk.
they were probably too busy rehearsing or writing good songs to make the videos a major priority (i'm only half kidding).
never mind the stuck in a moment video -
the elevation video was stomach turning - god awful...
walk on was really bad (the morphing thing reeked of computers and jacko).
that's just fine with me. i i don't want them to make crazy videos to sell crappy songs. i want them to make amazing songs with videos that do/don't matter. they're musicians (not only entertainers). as far as i'm concerned, all their best videos had grainy footage, reminded of the album the song was from (the fly wasn't too bad, mysterious ways was annoying). that's my 25 cents...

Dude, hold your head up, that was worth at least a buck 75.

Dalton said:

So who is this Jick character? Is he really the same as U2-Guy? Is Donna sleeping with Dillan? Is she really his sister?

I've told you a thousand times already, U2_Guy is a robot programmed to imitate jick and it is in love with the entire administrative team. You'll believe me at the end of this series, just you wait.

Axver said:

I've told you a thousand times already, U2_Guy is a robot programmed to imitate jick and it is in love with the entire administrative team. You'll believe me at the end of this series, just you wait.

Well as long as Sydney finds out what her dad is up to I will be happy.

I bet Rambaldi knows.....

Dalton said:

Well as long as Sydney finds out what her dad is up to I will be happy.

I bet Rambaldi knows.....

*snort* As if either of them know anything. That's like suggesting starsgoblue won't make any posts tomorrow.

Dalton said:

Dude, hold your head up, that was worth at least a buck 75.

word up, brother.
thanks.
i'm gonna give you this kick ass licky smiley face cos it totally rules:tongue:
thanks for the props.
'you might think' by the cars is the only video that ever really mattered anyway.

Now that we've settled that pissing contest, :) we can get back to the videos. Hands down, All I Want Is You is their best video.

Well Dalton, In your opinion U2 videos suck..but there are about 24 thousand people here and I'm sure that not many poeple agree with you..but agian your entitled to your opinion and I or others are entitled to challange it, that is why you post your comment here:|
On that note I love with or without you!..It was the video where I actually fell in LOVE with Bono the video was perfect for the song
I also like these vids...
Desire
The Fly
Angel of Harlem
Numb
New Years Day
One--bar vid
Mofo
Stay
Streets
Vertigo
Even Better
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful day
Whos Gonna ride
Pride
Sweetest Thing
Stuck in a Moment -not the football one the other one
Elevation

...just to name a few....

:laugh: at the "fight! fight!" encouraging of interferencers.

I wouldn't say U2 makes terrible videos. Some are better and some are worse, of course.

Streets, with or without you, AB/Zooropa/Pop videos (except If god will send his angels and Last night on earth), Beautiful day, Stuck in a moment (the van version) are all good videos IMO.
Too early to tell where Vertigo fits.

Dalton said:
Besides Streets, I can't think of one video off hand that I think is very good.

It seems odd to me that they are by far the coolest band of the video era that just hasn't seemed to master the format.

Things that make you go mmmmmm

Why do you suck at making threads?

I would never say U2 make bad videos. The Fly and EBTTRT hooked me way back in the day. Like it has been stated, some are better than others but isnt that always the case? :eyebrow: My favorite for the week? WGRYWH :drool: I love the end of that video...

And if there is a fight in Grand Rapids, I can drive over and tape it for the site so everyone can see. :wink:

I know that people have commented excessively on both sides of the issue on this one (Vertigo video) but i have to say that i think it's a horrible video . . . things were on the up after ATYCLB - Walk On, BD, Stuck were all great videos (we'll ignore the Elevation video for the time being - but even that was funny - the Edge and Angelina bits). Vertigo is an embarassingly poor video with poor production quality and absolutely no merit. . . probably the worst since Last Night On Earth. . .

GG_The_Fly said:
I know that people have commented excessively on both sides of the issue on this one (Vertigo video) but i have to say that i think it's a horrible video . . . things were on the up after ATYCLB - Walk On, BD, Stuck were all great videos (we'll ignore the Elevation video for the time being - but even that was funny - the Edge and Angelina bits). Vertigo is an embarassingly poor video with poor production quality and absolutely no merit. . . probably the worst since Last Night On Earth. . .

See, I kind of liked the Vertigo video.

let's get back to a Celebration video. RED leather pants, puffy big hair, prancing around like a .......80's type video.

I actually agree in that many of U2's videos aren't that great. However, when I look at other artists, I'm not all that impressed either - so...

Still, this thread got me thinking. While I feel most of U2's videos are very average, some stand out one way or the other.

Some of U2's videos that I really like are:
  • Even Better Than the Real Thing - easily their best video and one of the most creative I've ever seen;
  • Numb - the perfect video for this song as the video truly captures the essence of the lyrics - and a very humorous video as well;
  • Where the Streets Have No Name - easily the best video from the JT era - fun, uplifiting yet "scandalous" ;) ;
  • Beautiful Day - best video from ATYCLB and again, perfect video for the song;
  • Discotheque - maybe it's just me, but I love the silly Village People ending, even if this caused some backlash against the song and U2;
  • One - all versions are great as all three capture the essence of the song, which is open to so many interpretations;
  • New Year's Day - a simple video of them in the snow, but I think this is my first impression of U2. Due to this bias, it remains one of my favorite;
  • The Fly - a powerful video that showcased U2's transition. AB is easily the best era of U2's videos;
  • Stay - easily one of U2's most beautiful videos. This is what I envisioned for With or Without You (see below);
  • The Sweetest Thing - even though Bono looks like Elvis Costello, I found the video cute and entertaining - I just wished they had one final scene, of Ali "forgiving" Bono at the end;
  • Hold Me...Kill Me - it's a cartoon and has scenes from the "Batman" movie, but it really captured the essence of U2 at that moment in time and ranks amongst U2's best.

Some of my least favorite videos are:
  • Pride - I loved what U2 did in the "Angel of Harlem" video, as they showed images of Billie Holiday. Sadly, U2 failed to show MLK in "Pride" and created several very ambiguous and boring videos for perhaps one of their best songs;
  • With or Without You - thank goodness U2 was at the peak of their popularity when this very boring video was released - it's not horrid, but it could have been far more powerful;
  • Elevation - yikes, what were U2 thinking? They had this great rocking track and ruined it by first lending it to the rather blase "Tomb Raider" film, and then made this rather bizarre video and weak remix of the song. It's little wonder this song failed to hit the Hot 100 in the U.S.;
  • All I Want Is You - this one is really borderline... it has an interesting concept, but I feel it just failed in execution. Plus, I would have preferred to have seen more U2 and less circus acts;
  • Stuck in a Moment... - sorry, just not a fan of either version. I just felt this could have been a far more powerful video than what either version tried to display;
  • Celebration - O.K., I know it was the early 80's, but yowzah! What the f*ck was that? LOL!

There are still many interesting videos, like the recent Vertigo, as well as Electrical Storm, Staring at the Sun, Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo and the various "live" videos from the 80's (Sunday Bloody Sunday, One Tree Hill, etc.) that I find decent, but not really exceptional or poor - just average.

Therefore, upon review, I guess U2 aren't quite as bad as I initially thought - but they still aren't exactly the "Michael Jackson's" or "Madonna's" of the video era. Clearly music videos, which have helped many artits succeed, haven't done a lot for U2. :wink:

Last edited:
Stay is by far U2's best video, with the AB vids following close behind. Stay (Faraway, So, Close) is just a great concept borrowing from the Wim Wenders film of the same title. It's so beautiful but still a bit cold like the music for the song. An excellent song with an excellent video.

doctorwho said:
Oh, I forgot to add Last Night on Earth to my least favorite video list. That was one nasty video - it was so bad that I completely erased it from my memory, until now... :barf:

All that goopy stuff was disgusting. The video for LNOE is my absolute least favourite.

I acctually think the Electrical Storm video is fairly good. Anton did a great job making a U2 video work for the song.

Macjr.

Back
Top Bottom