Why do U2 deserve to be in the rock and roll hall of fame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
Why do you believe that U2 belong in the rock and roll hall of fame? What have they done that no others have done?

Good question.

I would say first at least two (maybe 3) classic albums - the "big two" and War.

More classic songs and hits than IMO any other band from the 80's or since: SBS, New Years Day, Pride, first 3 songs from JT, Desire, One, MW, Beautiful day...

Critical and commercial succes over the last 24 years.

Amazing live shows and an amazing frontman.

Always looking for new sounds, even if fans may not like it and not being afraid of it.

I know there has been alot of discontent about U2 being granted a place in the UK Music Hall of Fame, but even if I was looking at this objectively, I would have thought they deserved it.

They've been together for 25 years for one thing, and today they are still producing material that is selling millions of copies worldwide in hundreds of countries. Their albums have regularly ranked in the highest grossing albums of any specific year, and their Elevation tour topped the poll of highest grossing of the year. Their singles still enter in firmly in the top ten and their fan base ranges from 7 year olds to 70 year olds.

Their music has been revolutionary to an extent, as they were one of the first bands to openly embrace politics in their music, and pull it off well without critical overload. They were still young when Bono wrote 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', and no masterpiece by Thom Yorke or Chris Martin could match that song. Ever.

They've bounced back time and time again. They've recieved bad reviews and gone through bad times, then brushed them off and come back bigger and better than before, every time.

And, of course. They're still cool.
I can think of a lesser 80s band *coughduranduran* who are an embarassment next to them.

It just goes to show how big the real U2 audience is. We are a seriously hardcore minority.. even now when I go to a U2 concert, I'm staggered by how many people are so passionate about this band! It's awesome!

Convoy said:
Why do you believe that U2 belong in the rock and roll hall of fame? What have they done that no others have done?

This has to be a rheotorical question.

U2 is the best band ever. Period. In the 80's, they wrote songs that were meaningful, unlike the other pop artists. They wrote songs about MLK and war. They then explored the whole notion of the media and how it affects society in the 90s. Then they come out with a soul-searching album like ATYCLB. And now the bomb is even better, so I have heard from other people. I haven't heard it yet, but judging by the reactions, it's a classic.

beau2ifulday said:
they were one of the first bands to openly embrace politics in their music, and pull it off well without critical overload.

Yeah. I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there, if that's ok?

Their politics were certainly important, but in comparison to other bands, I wouldn't say a defining element. Probly worth mentioning anyway though.

Back
Top Bottom