Why Do Some People Who Post On This Board Never Post About The Music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm not naming any names, but there are some people who are constantly posting in FYM or Lemonade Stand, and NEVER post anything about the music.
WTF?
I mean, there's a thread right now that U2 actually responded to us, and some people haven't even posted on that. I wonder if they even know there is a new tune out?
Don't get me wrong, the other forums are great, but this is a U2 forum right? Doesn't the music come first?

As a long time veteran here, I have noticed that a lot of those people used to be very active in the on topic forums. Some were daily visitors to EYKIW, others were avid PLEBA girls. But sadly as time went by they lost their interest in talking about the band, but stayed on anyway because they had made buddies here and liked to hang out. I am hoping since there is new material they will get excited about the band again :)

Come to think about it, I may be the only person who has stayed in PLEBA all the way through- some of the older ones have left the forum or gone to the off topic forums, and most of the people we have now were not even here during the tour. But I've been here all that time and I'm still hanging around. Either I love them a lot, or I don't have a life, or I'm addicted, or all of the above;)

to each their own. i enjoy posting mostly in the on topic, but if others would like to post more in the off topic, i have no right to tell them to do otherwise. it's their choice.

I used to post a lot about the music, but lately there hasn't been much new stuff to talk about. Plus, I save most of my commentary for my articles :)

I think, like U2Kitten said, that people just generally like being around here and so they post whereever they like to talk to those people. Once the new album is released, the buzz will be back and you can bet I'll be back to posting in some of those "on topic" threads!

There is only so many times I want to say Please is my favourite song.

Besides, in my case, Im musically retarded. I dont have the skills to describe music. If I had of heard the new album I would be like the others - "yeah, its really good, its got bass n drums n guitars n singing n stuff"

I certainly like reading what everyone elses writes. We have some mighty damn fine musical wordsmiths in this forum.

And I share their enthusiasm and excitement.

But yeah..........

I like bass and Vertigo has lots of it.

And you can quote me on that :wink:

Last edited:
I mostly posted in the tour forums last time around. I love staying up to see the first pics uploaded or get the first mp3s, I love hearing about the setlist changes, few as they may be, etc. I don't care to do song survivors or argue about Pop and ATYCLB because it's an utter waste of time. It's a beautiful day, go out and play sometimes, right? In any case, in the last 2-3 years there has not been much new stuff for us to discuss so many have migrated outwards.

Honestly, I don't really concern myself with where other posters post, how much, why, when, etc. The day only has 24 hours.

Yea, there just really isn't that much to talk about on EYKIW anymore. Ever since DaveC's survivor it has kinda just went down hill. And voting if JT and AB is better has really run its course :wink:

For a long time nothing was really happening with U2 so naturally people started drifting to other forums. I also believe its about fan interaction a lot and not solely posting about U2. We are all fans that have something in common but that doesnt mean we have to talk about them 24/7.

Sicy said:
For a long time nothing was really happening with U2 so naturally people started drifting to other forums. I also believe its about fan interaction a lot and not solely posting about U2. We are all fans that have something in common but that doesnt mean we have to talk about them 24/7.

I totally agree. I met two of my closest friends in the world on Interference. We see each other every few months and U2 is barely ever even brought up with us. U2 is what brought us together but it doesn't mean we don't have other interests and other things to talk about.

I often speak of The Music.

You should check out their new album.

:sexywink:

arw9797 said:
I totally agree. I met two of my closest friends in the world on Interference. We see each other every few months and U2 is barely ever even brought up with us. U2 is what brought us together but it doesn't mean we don't have other interests and other things to talk about.

I too have met some of my best friends here :heart:

JOFO said:
I'm not naming any names, but there are some people who are constantly posting in FYM or Lemonade Stand, and NEVER post anything about the music.
WTF?
I mean, there's a thread right now that U2 actually responded to us, and some people haven't even posted on that. I wonder if they even know there is a new tune out?
Don't get me wrong, the other forums are great, but this is a U2 forum right? Doesn't the music come first?

I post in the music section and I read what is going on in the lemondade section. I actually post everywhere.

hippy said:
I used to post a lot about the music, but lately there hasn't been much new stuff to talk about. Plus, I save most of my commentary for my articles :)

I think, like U2Kitten said, that people just generally like being around here and so they post whereever they like to talk to those people. Once the new album is released, the buzz will be back and you can bet I'll be back to posting in some of those "on topic" threads!

I agree music these days is dull to really talk about anything.

anitram said:
. The day only has 24 hours.

I know, that's the problem.
And these hours are flying by at the speed of sound or light, whichever is faster.
By the time I get through reading some of the threads, it's time to do something else. Like job hunt, cook dinner, or take a nap :wink: I have to read (other media) and talk on the phone sometimes. don't I?

yeah like beli and some of the others said there's only so many times you can say your favorite song or talk about u2. for a long time i never even read EYKIW mainly cuz there wasn't anything really new to talk about.

even when i go to the U2 chat 90% of the time chat is off topic.

Sicy said:

:up:

When I first came here I posted about the band ... a lot. I am a recovering pleba-holic

But, gradually I got to know some people who I liked and now my posts in off-topic forums far outnumber those about U2.

That doesn't mean I don't keep up with what is happening with the band or that I don't care.

I am sure as excitement builds so will the number of U2-related posts I make. But I am sure my non-U2 posts will still make up the majority of my post count.

beli said:

Besides, in my case, Im musically retarded. I dont have the skills to describe music. If I had of heard the new album I would be like the others - "yeah, its really good, its got bass n drums n guitars n singing n stuff"

I certainly like reading what everyone elses writes. We have some mighty damn fine musical wordsmiths in this forum.

But yeah..........

:yes: I'm the same, beli

plus, my not posting in 'on topic' forums doesn't negate my love for U2. I'm a massive fan - I just don't feel the need to talk about them all the time. the reason I love it here so much is because there is a place where we can talk crap and concentrate on being friends instead of having to add 'oh yeah, and this song/that song rocks', just in an effort to stay on topic (like in other forums/mailing lists I've been to)

beli said:

But yeah..........

The same here! And unfortunately my English is not good to explain what I think about the songs.:(
Btw, I'm learning...:wink:

Last edited:
When I started I only posted in PLEBA b/c I didn't know anyone else. Then I started posting here a lot. So my first few years I ONLY posted about the band and the music. This year, my New Year's Resolution was to try other parts of the forum so now I post pretty much anywhere, but still most frequently here and in PLEBA.

Even if one doesn't post in the topics where The Edge has been.... what else is there to be said? I’m sure every type of thank you/butt-kiss/love note/vertigo-is-awesome message has already been exhausted. Some times it’s more entertaining to post about off topic occurrences than to constantly post about U2. Don't get me wrong... its a great topic... but... that topic can slow down a lot, especially during a new album production. However, now it is speeding up a lot... especially since The Edge graced us with his company.

What beli, Justified, JessicaAnn and bammo and all the other non-topic people said. :up:

I keep up on U2 news, but I generally post in the OT forums because it's more fun. Weirdly, I've spent more time here talking hockey than Bono, but I don't see anything wrong with that. (Especially since hockey boards generally suck.)

When I first joined, I posted in ETYIW alot, and then I realized there were only so many times (to steal from Beli) that I could say The Joshua Tree was my favorite. album :shrug: I used to post in "It's a Musical Journey" alot too, but I fell out of the habit.

i'm repeating a bunch of stuff other people said...

JOFO said:
WTF?

let me ask you a question: are you one of the people who IMed me to ask why i didn't like u2?

there are a bunch of reasons i don't usually post in the u2-related threads.

1. i've been a little burned out. i don't understand how some people can listen to primarily u2 and still be fans after being a fan for 18 years, because i've only really been a fan for about 3, and i couldn't take it after a year and a half.

2. i don't feel like i need to prove myself as a fan. i'm here, aren't i? if i didn't like the band, i wouldn't bother to post at all. i don't think it will make me any more of a fan if i sit around debating the potential meaning behind the numbers on edge's shirts during the elevation tour, or picking out subtle points on boy where you can tell that bono had a cold during recording.

3. whenever i post on a board pertaining to one band, i tend to get really sick of the people who constantly post about that particular band, and don't talk about anything else. i've said plenty about how much i love 'vertigo', but it's been either to friends off interference, or to interferencers in places i post (like u2popmofo's thread on the song in B&C, or randooooom, or whereever else it's come up). i don't want to wade through countless "i loooooove u the edge plz come to _____!!!!!!!!" in order to say what i want to say. quit sucking up, already!

4. u2 aren't my favorite band. well, sometimes they are, and whenever i'm listening to them, they definetly are. but sometimes they aren't--like when i'm listening to something else--and there are people here who like a lot of my other favorite bands (plus i've got this wierd notion that some of them will like some of those bands, but they just haven't heard them yet), and while those other bands are my favorites, i don't want to post in the forums pertaining to them for the same reasons i stated in 1,2,3 and 5.

5. i don't feel like re-hashing my thoughts on those few same topics that come up every couple months. like ATYCLB vs. pop stuff. no, i could still post in other threads, leaving those for the legion of the obsessed to argue...but i'm not like that. i'm an opinionated jackass, and i don't like to shut up.

Last edited:
Sometimes the music threads are too intimidating to post in. Not in a bad way, but I read them and I'm constantly remininded of how ignorant I am of U2 and their music, only being a casual fan. I learn something everytime I visit, but I'm definitely not bold enough to post in those threads for fear of confirming my cluelessness. Hope that makes sense! But, I do love to read the threads so please don't get offended by this post..

I agree with I Was Bored

I can no longer be a rabid fan...I like U2 and that is reason enough to be here

but I'll probably never post in this forum again after the album comes out

why don't I post when Edge replies?
because he gets enough replies as it is and I have no desire to add to the 15 page threads that always occur because he has posted

well mate
I've been a fan for 20 years now
and really I'm all talked out...

a lot of what's said in the "music forums" here are things I discussed/got out of my system/got the answers to a decade or more ago, lived through already, or have moved past...

so I look at Interference like a big coffee shop.. I wander in, order my usual (large please, with milk and no sugar...) and float from conversation to conversation, joining in when I've something to say or add and just listening and moving by when I don't.

The boys have been a major part of my life, the band has been present for 2/3 of it in one way or another but really I'd start sounding like a broken record if I posted all that often in the music forums -- my story's been told already. Time to let the ones who were only just being born while I spent sleepless college nights listening to Achtung Baby have their say.....

Re: i'm repeating a bunch of stuff other people said...

IWasBored said:

2. ... i don't think it will make me any more of a fan if i sit around debating the potential meaning behind the numbers on edge's shirts during the elevation tour, or picking out subtle points on boy where you can tell that bono had a cold during recording.

:lmao: :up: that really made me laugh.

Usually I get in these moods to post deep music related ramblings in the middle of the night, but then in the morning wonder what the hell I wrote. Now, this is fine for politics.... :D :rolleyes:

But I tend to post in cycles. Sometimes I post a lot about music, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't visit this entire board. Just depends on my mood.

Back
Top Bottom