Why do so many people here dislike "Stuck"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kariatari said:
Nice post jick. I'm not sure I agree with it yet, but it's appreciated because it made me think.

I don't think people have a problem with the actual song "Stuck" so much; I think the real problem is with the production of the song on the album. The album version is so damn sugary sweet it rots your teeth out of your skull. When you strip the song down to just melody and chords, it's actually not that bad. Personally, I love the gospel chords in the piece, but the melody in the chorus annoys the shit out of me.

Actually, to me, it's too damn sugary sweet and cheesy. It's boring, and is not one of their "special" songs at all. I wouldn't even like it much if another band did it. I liked it, sort of, at first. Now I can easily let someone change the radio station when it comes on.

One of the VERY few U2 songs I feel this way about.

And I like the horns at the end.

I like Stuck in a Moment but I think it's lacking in energy until half way thru which is it's weakness IMO. I remember the BBC promo of it done by the band and in spite of the mistakes by the band, the song just had power/ energy all the way through the song that the album version just doesn't seem to have. Hell, the accoustic version seems more exciting/ energetic to me, thus making it more memorable.

Mark Freedman said:

Actually, to me, it's too damn sugary sweet and cheesy. It's boring, and is not one of their "special" songs at all. I wouldn't even like it much if another band did it. I liked it, sort of, at first. Now I can easily let someone change the radio station when it comes on.

One of the VERY few U2 songs I feel this way about.

And I like the horns at the end.

:eeklaugh:

You like the horns?! To me, the snyth-y sounding horns are the biggest contributor to the cheese factor! It makes U2 sound like Train. *shudder*

A friend told me that he hated the song for ages and then, all of a sudden, he started loving it! Maybe it grows with time

I personally love it -- it came out in a moment I really was stuck in an unconfortable situation and I was pretending that everything was ok, but I felt like I wasn't moving anywhere.
So I Love it!

kariatari said:

:eeklaugh:

You like the horns?! To me, the snyth-y sounding horns are the biggest contributor to the cheese factor! It makes U2 sound like Train. *shudder*

Actually, the main part of the song is what I find cheesy -- with an incredibly cheesy chorus.

The horns give it a dramatic ending, though, IMO.

Horns are a disaster. The song is solid(very good lyrics, but the music is kinda flat).

Why do so many people here dislike "Stuck"?

just beacuse the way it is produced sucks...and makes the song similar to a BSB poppy tune.

SIAMYCGOF is indeed a GREAT song: listen to the acoustic version (b side of walk on in the UK version) and you'll realize that Eno literally killed it...that's the kind of feeling they should have kept for the album version...and that way it could have become a real classic.

As a side note to me Eno killed even Walk on: much much much much much (etc.) better in the single version produced by Nigel Goodrich...with Walk On uk single version and SIAM similar to the acoutic version (with that kind of feeling) now we'd be talking of a different ATYCLB and a much better one (not just a mediocre album with 1 great tune and a pair of good songs but a good album with at least 3 great tunes...but they should have fired Eno before the final mixing)

Didnt Brian and Bono have a bet or something about it being their best ever song?:eyebrow:

(no chance)
It still should've got to no.1 in the UK tho. Beaten by Atomic fucking Kitten - and where are they now incidently?:eyebrow:

Eno and Bono had a 100 dollar bet Stuck would be their biggest song since WOWY.

NOT their best song ever.

Aardvark747 said:
Didnt Brian and Bono have a bet or something about it being their best ever song?:eyebrow:

(no chance)
It still should've got to no.1 in the UK tho. Beaten by Atomic fucking Kitten - and where are they now incidently?:eyebrow:

it could have been...just listen to it BEFORE Eno killed it...listen to the acoustic version: that's a great tune and that's the feeling i want to hear in a (supposed) rock album when i listen to a ballad.

Eno is the ATYCLB's murderer...he also killed walk on (again listen to the Uk version with the alleluja snippet)...and god only knows how many other songs could have been better without his "help"

The fact that the album version sounds very poppy does not make me want to throw up, like it does so many others. I am big fan of Stuck. I also enjoy Shania Twain and Phil Collins. I also love Passengers, early (and later) Pink Floyd, ELP, and George Gershwin. Pop music is not necessarily bad, and neither is a 20 min keyboard driven epic like Tarkus. I guess it all comes down to the listener's tastes.

I like Stuck.

But I like the acoustic version the best.

I think if U2 were 10 years younger, it would have been huge.

Age unfortunately, is quite a barrier to success in the music business, especially in rock & roll.

I never liked it Live, I really felt it brought a dampner to the atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom