Why do so many people hate Elevation and Stuck in a Moment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Holy crap I don't understand at all. These songs are so great!

Elevation is, in my opinion, one of the catchiest songs U2 has ever released. Sure, the lyrics aren't their deepest, but it's just a fun rock song, kind of like Vertigo. It's very uplifting either way. How could you not want to sing along? Plus, it's really cool live. I love this song! I think of it as Vertigo's big brother, and I actually like it more.

And Stuck in a Moment. Awww I'm in love with this song. This is the song that got me into U2, so I may be a little biased, but I still listen to it and love it to this day. The lyrics are some of my favorites and IMO some of Bono's most personal and easy to relate to. Yeah, I can understand how you could say it's TOO polished (although I don't mind), but the live version is great either way.

These songs are great people, I demand that you start liking them more!

I love both of these songs...........I think most people that don't like them are probably the ones who really loved POP, so they were kind of disappointed by the stripped down sound of ATYCLB.

You got that right bigmacphisto. Elevation is a fun sing-along but I don't like how it is a wussy remnant of those unbelievable Pop sonics. Stuck is extremely over-produced, over-the-top and a bit embarrassing in parts. It has grown on me though, esp. the acoustic version.

Hi!

I like everything U2.

:angel:

Mr.B can do no wrong......how can I get inspiration is what he writes is not good.........

carol
wizard2c
:|

Hi!

Sorry about the typo.......I'm on my migraine med..............

what I meant to say is that Mr. B is my inspiration and all things U2 is great.
now....that's better.......but I hate these migraines......I wonder if Mr.B ever gets a headache....probably not.....

carol
wizard2c
:(

MrBrau1 said:
People hate them because they are mainstream, popular songs.

Unlike "Vertigo" or "With or Without You" or "Pride"........:eyebrow:

The people here complaining about "Elevation" and "Stuck" seem to like the hits.....

Stuck... is a great song, POP is a f'ing brilliant album. If you can't see that, then you don't hear what I hear when you hear this album.. and - I don't need you too. :wink:
So be it. No harm done.. Just the way my brain is wired, so I've become to quite attached to it. :crazy:

MrBrau1 said:
People hate them because they are mainstream, popular songs.

I disagree. I'm sure there are many people who dislike them (hate is a strong word that gets thrown around here a lot by certain people, I won't mention any names) because they're either over-produced or pale imitations of earlier songs, and not because they are mainstream. Pretty much everything from War or UF has been mainstream. Does that mean these people hate Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bad???

sue4u2 said:
POP is a f'ing brilliant album. If you can't see that, then you don't hear what I hear when you hear this album.. and - I don't need you too.

I don't know what happened........I put POP on the other day for the first time in a while (I had been listening to my own version with a lot of Best Of/Single mixes and a few other twists)........and WOW. I can't believe how good this album actually is. For me, it's like waking up one day and finding a new U2 album under your bed. :drool:

I think WOWY is worse than other U2 songs, it's too "easy", maybe because of it people love it

well, about the thread, I don't dislike those songs, ok, maybe I don't like Elevation, but isn't a hate excatly... just think that isn't that great

BigMacPhisto said:

I had been listening to my own version with a lot of Best Of/Single mixes and a few other twists

Oh man, why would you listen to those god-awful mixes when the original album is a million times better??? :wink:

I don't hate either one of these songs. I actually like Elevation a lot. Stuck in a Moment happens to be further down the list of songs I prefer to listen to, but it's still a decent song.

As Zootelesque touched on... the album versions are completely over produced.

Im yet to find somone who doesnt like the georgous aucostic version of Stuck, or the Tomb Raider Mix of elevation.

I think Stuck in a moment... is a great song, and i would go to the extent of saying that on this particular site, it is the most underrated song in the U2 catalogue.
Elevation is without doubt one of the catchiest U2 songs ever, but there is nothing special to it, but i never skip it on the album and i think the influx mix is absolute quality......

I'm not a fan of Elevation due to the lyrics.

But I love Stuck. It's a great example of a "pop" song that has a very difficult chorus. It's not your typical catchy chorus, it really pushes the envelope. Plus it has a very emotional attachment.

P.S. Guitarist of Radiohead says Stuck is the best thing U2 has done in years.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm not a fan of Elevation due to the lyrics.

But I love Stuck. It's a great example of a "pop" song that has a very difficult chorus. It's not your typical catchy chorus, it really pushes the envelope. Plus it has a very emotional attachment.

:up:
Totally agree

I'll repeat myself from a diferent "lets defend Elevation" thread...

You know, between LOVE and HATE toward a song, there's quite a big number of other feelings!

I dont's care about them... is it "hate"? If "Yes", them I'm living on a diferent planet then you...

"Elevation" is simply boring, the best thing about that song is 100 remixes that are all better than oryginal.
I like what U2 is doing with this song right now playing it live.
It must be one of those "unfinished" songs. I'm glad they finished it and improved it.

"Stuck In A Moment" is a perfect example of the worst in U2's history studio production work on ATYCLB.
A song butchered so bad is just... "U2, please dont do this again."
...but I like the acoustic version... much better, clearly it's the "oryginal" version.
It's not about melody, it's not about lyrics... it's about the worst production work in U2's history.

MrBrau1 said:

The same people hate these songs. They want a U2 concert of B-sides.

bullshit.

quit speaking for everyone whom you don't know.

your arrogance compliments your ignorance, though. i guess that's nice?

ooh, a classic "i know you are, but what am i" response.

i admit - i've got nothing to counter. you win...you always do!

~goulet

Zoomerang96 said:
ooh, a classic "i know you are, but what am i" response.

i admit - i've got nothing to counter. you win...you always do!

~goulet

Saturday on the internet, we're all losers.

so true.

at least it's only the afternoon. i better not be here for much longer though.

i'm sure you'd agree. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

It's been raining all day and the sky is gloomy. What do you want me to do, have a picnic?

get an umbrella.

find a shelter.

just leave the internet.

like me!

:happy:

MrBrau1 said:

The same people hate these songs. They want a U2 concert of B-sides.

you mean people like you?

MrBrau1 said:
:down: same old, same old. They NEED to keep Gloria and Electric Co in the set.

MrBrau1 said:

The set sucks. I don't care about 15 yr olds who just started listening to the band. I view the songs through my eyes, not some new fans. I don't like the set, and I'm on a U2 board saying so. If that's against the rules, I'll get booted. I'm sorry you're so affected by my displeasure.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes. Because I don't like the current set means I want U2 to play all b-sides. :wink:

not that you want them to play B-Sides.. but you seem to be annoyed that they play a lot of really popular songs every night that everyone knows..

Back
Top Bottom