Why do so many people hate Elevation and Stuck in a Moment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
korczykp said:

not that you want them to play B-Sides.. but you seem to be annoyed that they play a lot of really popular songs every night that everyone knows..

I'm annoyed they don't play their best songs, along with the hits. Electric Co and Gloria in last nites set would make me very happy. Or Kite and Gone and Crumbs. Hey U2, throw me a freking bone here!

I like elevation, has tons of energy and gets you jumping, on the other hand, im not a fan of stuck. It's very tacky and doesnt sound like a u2 song at all. it seems like the very music U2 have been against in the "extermination" of pop.

A mole! Diggin' in a hole!

*We need a vomiting smiley. I would insert that here.*

Elevation sucks. It's U2 trying far too hard to craft a mainstream hit. ATYCLB is inconsistent for this very reason. U2 said they wanted to make an album full of singles when they made ATYCLB, and you can tell they were oftentimes trying too hard. Some of the songs sound natural, some sound forced. For instance:

Natural sounding:

Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Kite

Forced:

Elevation
Walk On

The forced songs sound too much like U2 TRYING to craft number one singles. Beautiful Day is an inspirational, epic song, but it doesn't sound calculated. That's the difference.

And come on - 'a mole diggin' in a hole'? Ugh.

-Miggy

MrBrau1 said:
People hate them because they are mainstream, popular songs.

That is exactly it. The first song I loved on ATYCLB was stuck but it was so overplayed I couldn't hear it anymore. It is the same reason I can't stand Pride. It was a great song but it is just too overplayed.

Elevation is okay but nothing great. It could be replaced by a much better song they don't have to play all three on the tour.

I love Stuck in a Moment...it's one of my favorites, once I start listening to it I can't stop.:drool:

I don't like Elevation due to the lyrics...like someone else said.

Musially, Elevation is very good. What lets it down is the lyrics, as most people seem to agree.

Stuck is surely a U2 classic and as Miggy D says it is 'natural' sounding.

Airplay on the radio doesn't affect my impressions, because I barely ever listen to it, or watch mtv and that stuff.

I *don't* think the lyrics to Elevation are crap, they totally serve their goal. Think about the *music* Bono needed to get a line for with 'a mole...digging in a hole..." and any of the others really.
Somebody said it was a fun 'stomp', and that it is. Elevation stomps around saying hey look, we're playing woohoo music, we're diggin' in the dirt, making silly rhymes, lit up like a cigar, strung out confused about all these controls...these were the lyrics he needed for the stomp to work. But, brilliantly, the goal in all that silly stomping is soul, maybe he can't sing it but he's trying for it...
then the semi-serious gospel voice says love, tell me something true, I believe in you.
I'm getting reminded of the speech edge made at the RRHOF ceremony, that yeah, spinal tap, rock and roll isn't all that serious, but if you believe in it, in it's transformative power, it can transform!
It's brilliant exactly in it's "apparent" silliness, but it's *not* ironic. It seems to say yeah, a good stomp lifts me higher, and after all aren't we just all stompers we confused creatures of the dirt who simultaneously are souled?

That's my take on Elevation anyway...
cheers all!

I liked stuck in a moment, grew out of it, and grew into it again, because the lyrics are very beautiful, if only it wasn't for the so-poppy chorus!! Elevation is a great tune to listen to, but not in heavy doses!

I love Stuck. For me it's catchy and this is the first song I liked in ATYCLB, followed by walk on, beautiful day, then the res of the songs.

I think the " wooh ooh ooh" part in the song sucks. Well this is just my opinion. I hate that part, but the rest is ok. I'd prefer if Bono didn't sing those high notes. But still, it's catchy, I agree it's catchy.
These kinds of songs are the ones that young U2 fans love. These songs got new fans hooked to U2. You see there's a generation gap between the U2 fans. so really, some of us will not agree with other fans. Most young fans want the new U2 songs and those older fans want the 80's and 90's U2 songs, right? We all have different preferences when it comes to U2 songs.

I played 'Stuck' as my entry song at our wedding.

I think that my love for the song is summed up right there.

"Stuck" is so personal, being about Michael Hutchence and all... it really surprises me that people think it's fake or forced or phony because I really don't think it is. It's not my favorite song, but I do like it. And the video has football!! What more could you want?

"Elevation" has totally lame lyrics but I love it anyway because it is so damn fun.

Back
Top Bottom