Why do so-called fans throw stuff at Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono B. Jones

Acrobat
I never have understood why the hell these jackasses at concerts throw stuff at the band and/or the lead singers.

Bono laughed off a projectile of toilet paper and got a whole beer or huge cup of water tossed on him by a fan while out on the heart at Slane and if you watch the Boston DVD close enough during SBS you can see him move his head just in time to dodge a huge chunk of what appears to be ice that flew right by his face.

I've seen beer bottles, shoes, cups, panties, and all sorts of crap thrown up on stage and at the band members (usually lead singer).

The only exception to this would be a beach ball, cause' they're always at big events and they are generally harmless. Granted, popping Bono in the head with a beach ball during an emotional song like Streets or Kite would not be cool, but it did make a fun moment on the Slane DVD. "Oh look Edge, a beach ball"

To me, this is the biggest insult anyone who calls themselves a fan could do to a band. These people should be ejected from the concert and banned for life.

Post your thoughts about it.

Also, if you happen to be one of these jackasses and have thrown projectiles at Bono or other famous musicians, don't be shy. Tell us why you do it, maybe we'll understand-no promises, you may get flamed.

Jason.

www.u2jt.com

I find such actions distracting and selfish.

To me, it tarnished the performance of "All I Want Is You" on the Slane DVD. Here is Bono singing a love song dedicated to his wife, and his reaction to the water thrown at him breaks the mood of the song.

I've always wondered that too. :| There were several things thrown in Slane. Why? If I'd been at that concert, I would have been thanking my lucky stars, not throwing things at the band. :coocoo: Or any concert, for that matter.

The Boston one seemed especially out of place. Yeah SBS is a real happy go lucky song. :shrug:

It's because you feel powerful to be able to mingle with such a prolific person...I mean, he's right there!

I've never done it, but that's probably why. Unless you go to the show because you hate Bono and have a few things up your sleeve.

All I can figure out is that the person throwing the object is drunk and/or high. If they are close enough to the stage to throw something and have it hit or nearly hit the performer, they had to have waited quite a while to get a position so close. Of course I am referring to major acts and not the little band back home that is lucky to have five people show up.

So, I don't understand why people do it.

Any arena or stadium filled with 20,000 people or more is boud to have a few jerks. I haven't seen Slane but I thought it was pretty cool how Bono just dodged the projectile and kept going without missing a beat.

ZigZag said:
It's because you feel powerful to be able to mingle with such a prolific person...I mean, he's right there!

I've never done it, but that's probably why. Unless you go to the show because you hate Bono and have a few things up your sleeve.

I disagree. If you want to mingle with someone, you wait for them after the show near the loading docks or wherever fans congregate to meet bands..

This is about being a stone cold jerk and attempting to become part of the show no matter what the reaction is by the band and its audience to your distraction.

Lady Val said:
Of course I am referring to major acts and not the little band back home that is lucky to have five people show up.

So, I don't understand why people do it.

Oh it's even better at little shows. :| I was at this little punk show in my college town when some brilliant young man tried to throw a dead pigeon at the singer. Lucky for me, he missed and hit me instead. :grumpy:

ZigZag said:

So they throw something at him? :shrug: :coocoo:

Last edited:
neutral said:

Oh it's even better at little shows. :| I was at this little punk show in my college town when some brilliant young man tried to throw a dead pigeon at the singer. Lucky for me, he missed and hit me instead. :grumpy:

I'm sorry to hear that. GROSS!!!

I think people do it to get attention. The power of having someone like Bono and single you out, even to say, "All I want is f-ing want is you, man". In my mind it just seems like a plain and stupid way to get that attention. Personally, I think it's possibly dangerous way to get someone?s' attention and I don't think these people are right in the head.

Here is something no one's mentioned yet. What about the baseball cap thrown at Edge during "Angle of Harlem"? I thought that was cute, and a good moment at Slane. What does everyone think of that? Is it the same thing, or is it something else entirely?

I wanted to add that I know quite a few people who claim (well they are, to some degree) to be U2 fans and go to the concerts, but hate more politically charged songs like Bullet in the Blue Sky or SBS. So maybe some peopele do it to show their disagreement. Still, I think they're not right in the head for behaving like that.

I'm guessing it's the audience member's way of getting attention. In a stadium filled with 20,000 people you can only yell so loud.

It's completely obnoxious and can ruin the concert. I only hope these items stay out of the lethal and dangerous category. At least toilet paper is cushy. Dead pigeons... not so much.

Well we have to keep the guy on his toes, how can we expect our rock stars to stay in form if they can't dodge the basics.

ylimeU2 said:

Here is something no one's mentioned yet. What about the baseball cap thrown at Edge during "Angle of Harlem"? I thought that was cute, and a good moment at Slane. What does everyone think of that? Is it the same thing, or is it something else entirely?

Ah you're probably right about it being about seeking attention.

I forgot all about that hat toss. I didn't find that to be a huge distraction because the overall mood of (most of) the show is so upbeat, almost like a party. And it was definitely cute. :)

On the other hand, I find the object toss during Boston to be very distracting and irritating. It's obviously just someone being a jerk. And the water toss as he dedicts a love song to his beautiful wife? :madspit:

To me, it tarnished the performance of "All I Want Is You" on the Slane DVD. Here is Bono singing a love song dedicated to his wife, and his reaction to the water thrown at him breaks the mood of the song. [/B]

I totally agree. Unfotunately, it made for one of-if not the most memorable moments of the concert. I've seen people post the "All I want is fookin you man" quote many times on this forum. That and the "Oh look Edge, a beach ball" quote.

I think these people who throw things must be drunk or high or both. At the Slane concert, there were probably more drunk people than not. The baseball cap thing was still rude, but at least it was someone trying to give Edge a cap instead of a roll of toilet paper or chunk of ice in the face or dousing him with a large drink. The fact that if almost stayed on his head was a funny moment.

Being a lead singer in several bands over the past 15 years I have yet to have something thrown at me, but I won't be surprised if it happens someday. My problem is that I would get pissed. The fact that Bono can just keep going like it didn't happen or just sluff it off is admirable. He probably got pissed the first few times it happend, then just learned to ignore it.

A friend of mine saw Pearl Jam a long time ago when they were popular and some people were throwing their shoes at Eddie Vedder. He had to go behind his bass players rig to avoid being hit. After the song was over he said "after the show, we're going to go out and watch all you a**holes leave. Anyone missing a shoe is gonna get their ass kicked!"

Well put Eddie, I would've done the same thing.

Keep em' coming, we have yet to hear from someone who is guilty of doing it. These people may not remember they did it once they sobered up though.

ylimeU2 said:
I wanted to add that I know quite a few people who claim (well they are, to some degree) to be U2 fans and go to the concerts, but hate more politically charged songs like Bullet in the Blue Sky or SBS. So maybe some peopele do it to show their disagreement. Still, I think they're not right in the head for behaving like that.

Ok, this is my opinion and please keep in mind I'm Bono in a U2 tribute band.

If someone doesn't like Bullet or SBS, they shouldn't be or claim they are U2 fans. I'm not saying you have to like all their songs either. There are some I don't like too (most of the Pop album), but those two songs are core U2 songs that represent who they are, their signature sound, and where they've come from.

With ticket prices as high as they are these days, I can't imagine someone who isn't much of a fan going to one of their concerts just to throw crap at them during songs they don't like. Although, the General Admission tickets on the floor were the cheapest last tour.

It just seems to me that the younger generation has forgotten what it is to be a fan. I'm not saying the only people throwing things are younger than I am, but I'd put money on it that most of them probably are. (and I'm not an old fogey, I'm 34) This throwing crap at your favorite band/singer to purposely hit them in a malicious way has started within the last 10 years There's just no respect anymore, for authority, for adults, teachers, or even for their favorite band or musician-but that's another thread.

As said by the maitre d at the French restaraunt in the movie Ferris Bueller to Abe Froman:

"I weep for the future"

Jason

www.u2jt.com

I have been to several concerts, and people seem to enjoy throwing things up on the stage, way back in the early 80's at Stings dream of the blue turtle tour he got socks thrown at him hit him right up the face.. just as well it wasnt something hard,

I went to a concert to see the group Madness, unfortunatly the irish group on before them was not to popular and every one was throwing their drink and water at them with the results that when Madness did come out to perform they slipped and fell quite a few times on the wet floor.. and people had to come out and mop it up while they were singing.. which was rather distracting

I went to a boomtown rats concert, and they kept spitting at poor Bob, guess it was some left over punk from the late 70's fanI won't post what Bob shouted at him.. it might be deemed politcally incorrect now hehehee

I went to see the group Pulp in concert and one of the people in the audience was being rude swearing and telling the lead singer Jarvis Cocker he was crap...Jarvis just stopped and said you will be crap when the bouncers get you outside... I don't see the sense in spending money on going to see someone perform if you don't like them :huh:

Bono B. Jones said:
If someone doesn't like Bullet or SBS, they shouldn't be or claim they are U2 fans.

That's exactly what I was going to say! Those are two of the songs that essentially define U2 as a band. They explain, demonstrate, and show so much about them.

I don't understand why you'd throw something at an artist. I can imagine someone trying to throw Bono an Irish flag or a female fan trying to give them a rose or something like that, but beyond that, it makes no sense. It's dangerous and really makes you look like a fool.

Bono B. Jones said:
If someone doesn't like Bullet or SBS, they shouldn't be or claim they are U2 fans. I'm not saying you have to like all their songs either. There are some I don't like too (most of the Pop album), but those two songs are core U2 songs that represent who they are, their signature sound, and where they've come from.

I agree. If you're a "fan" who is so angered by hearing those two songs that you want to throw things, then feel free to stay home. :angry:

Bono B. Jones said:
It just seems to me that the younger generation has forgotten what it is to be a fan. I'm not saying the only people throwing things are younger than I am, but I'd put money on it that most of them probably are. (and I'm not an old fogey, I'm 34) This throwing crap at your favorite band/singer to purposely hit them in a malicious way has started within the last 10 years There's just no respect anymore, for authority, for adults, teachers, or even for their favorite band or musician-but that's another thread.

Yeah it's a pretty new thing I guess and it is perplexing. :tsk: I used to be a big Smasking Pumpkins fan and went to more shows than I care to admit. For awhile it was "cool" to throw things, usually shoes, at the bass player. Yeah, reeeeal cool. You could tell how cool she thought it was by the look on her face. Jeez just go the zoo or something if that's how you want to behave but please don't feed the Bono. :madspit:

Last edited:
Axver said:

That's exactly what I was going to say! Those are two of the songs that essentially define U2 as a band. They explain, demonstrate, and show so much about them.

I don't understand why you'd throw something at an artist. I can imagine someone trying to throw Bono an Irish flag or a female fan trying to give them a rose or something like that, but beyond that, it makes no sense. It's dangerous and really makes you look like a fool.

This should be true for ALL the songs and all the artist!!

I mean, if you don't like the concert, just leave! Why do you have to spoil the entire concert to the people who are enjoying that? It's really a self-centred behaviour!

:shrug:

Probably drunk/drugged people, trying to ... whatever it is they're trying to prove. Maybe they like U2 but don't like Bono('s political side) or get mad at the more political songs?
That said, that is no excuse for acting like that - no one forced them to come, and no one forced them to stay at the show either.

Yeah that makes no sense to me either, although I did love the Edge and cap thing :)

I did go to one concert where a "supposed fan" of this band playing threw a cup full of beer at the lead singer and he just dropped his mic and jumped into the crowd (I got kicked in the head by the singer and passed out for a couple of minutes :huh: ) and he proceeded to punch this guy. It wasn't pretty.

nbcrusader said:
I find such actions distracting and selfish.

To me, it tarnished the performance of "All I Want Is You" on the Slane DVD. Here is Bono singing a love song dedicated to his wife, and his reaction to the water thrown at him breaks the mood of the song.

well said- it is distracting and selfish.

I've felt the same way about this moment, too.

:down:

I think you have a combination of things when it comes to this. In a sick and twisted way its a way a person can connect with someone famous. They can in a sense touch them or effect them by hitting them with water because they are so close. It is warped but I think that is part of it. When you are as big of an act as U2 there is bound to be an idiot who is just there to go to a concert and get drunk and act like a moron. I think 9 times out of 10 this is the type of person that throws things.

Regarding Bono keeping his calm. Not always, I saw him get absolutely drenched in Chicago on the indoor leg of Zoo and he was PISSED! I dont blame him, but he doesnt always keep his cool.

Mullen Girl I witnessed the Edge cap thing in person. I think Edge took it to a new level of pissed when that happened. You could see he was just fuming!! It was interesting to see though.

If I ever, finally make it to a U2 concert and you are standing next to me and attempt to throw something at one of my guys, I will KNOCK YOU OUT!. I'm a peace loving sort of person, but I have my limits. :wink: You will not hurt the men I love or ruin a concert for me and the other 19,999 people who went to see/hear them perform. In this day and age that cup of water could be acid. that cap could have a brick or worse wrapped up in it.
(I don't think anyone hear would do that, but just in case someone has thought about it, you've been warned :mad: )

Why do "fans" throw things at a band?
It could be a lot of reasons:
1. They see a live concert as a reason to get as drunk as possible, or as totally wasted on drugs as humanly possible
and make an ass out of themselves.
2. They could care less what is happening on stage music-wise.
They came here to have "fun." So <bleep> everyone else.
3. They are not "fans." ( Quite possibly they may know one
song by the band performing. But, it's got to be from Top 40
radio and it's gotta to be a hit. The band plays the hit. The "fan" is bored; so it's time to cause mischief now. )
Solutions:
An immediate arrest of the person, and the person is banned
from ever entering that venue again.
What the band can do. A warning to not throw stuff on stage.
If, after the warning, stuff is still being thrown on stage, "house
lights; the show is over"and leave the stage.
The last solution is drastic, and is not fair to those fans
who came to the show to hear/see a show, but something has
to be done to protect the performers on stage.
I'm not saying Bono should adopt these solitions, but bands
in general.

Last edited:
Bono's also gotten pissed about those infrared lasers. I remember a show with him yelling at whoever was shining it in his eyes to knock it off.. in so many words.

I think a solution is for the security that the venue provides to throw these people out. No one else should suffer because of them, least of all the band members themselves. I remember a show in Providence where a "fan" in the heart was so drunk he could not stand up, and did end up passing out towards the end of the set. But until that point he had disrupted so many people and physically been in people's face, that he should have gotten removed long ago. I remember Edge watching him as he passed out and security went to take him out, so out of control drunkness does affect the band, too, even if they don't throw things at them.

oliveu2cm said:
Bono's also gotten pissed about those infrared lasers. I remember a show with him yelling at whoever was shining it in his eyes to knock it off.. in so many words.

That's what I was going to bring up too. Laser pointers can blind you by burning holes in your retinas, and a rock star on stage is prone to enough repeat exposure for that to happen. But people keep on doing it! You're not even supposed to shine it in a dog's eyes, so why do it to Bono? :(

I also heard a story of him going after a guy for throwing a full water bottle at him, and there used to be a couple pics circulating of him giving someone the "Irish bird" for throwing things. Then there was the crazy guy in Minn. who attacked Bono as he climbed up into the golden circle seats, claiming he had written the songs on JT and never got his money :rolleyes: There are all types out there, even among fans so you really can't be too careful.

Last edited:
yeah, i agree with you bono b. jones, but you know, the mothers of the stupids are always pregnant! i remember bono inveigh against a "fan" using laser in the mexico city show of popmart

Back
Top Bottom