Why do so-called fans throw stuff at Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

Mullen Girl I witnessed the Edge cap thing in person. I think Edge took it to a new level of pissed when that happened. You could see he was just fuming!! It was interesting to see though.

What?! Do tell please. You can't really see that from the DVD, it looks like he just laughs it off, I think. Maybe I'll watch it later. Gee it's been a few days since I've seen it, might as well.
:rolleyes:

Re Bono keeping his cool, I have a bootleg where he gets really pissed at someone in the crowd...it totally ruins Beautiful Day too. :mad:

Great posts everyone! Thanks sooo much for sharing your thoughts and opinions. It seems that we are all pretty much in agreement about this subject.

Unfortunately, we can't force everyone to adhere to a concert policy such as:

1. NO ALCOHOL (It's only my opinion, if everyone could drink and not get drunk and out of control, then we could have it but that's not the case.)

2. NO DRUGS (My opinion again. Why the hell would you want to be drunk and stoned at a concert you paid buko bucks to see? I want all my concert experiences to be burned permanently in my brain so I can remember them for year to come. Also, I'm sick of smelling pot the second the house lights go down and the band goes on, it's really lame to me.)

3. NO DRINKS ON THE FLOOR AREA. Any seat or gen. admission seating close enough to hit a band member with liquid, water bottles, ice, or whatever, should not be allowed. If someone wants a drink badly enough, they can tank up before the concert starts or, if during the concert, they have to finish it in the concession area before returning to their seat.

4. INCREASE METAL DETECTOR SENSITIVITY. Hopefully it will pick up laser pointers. Unfortunately, some of them are very small and would be difficult to detect. Anyone caught with one is immedtiately ejected whether they used it or not.

Anyone else got some ideas for concert rules or ettiquete?

LET'S BAND TOGETHER AND MAKE SURE THESE PEOPLE DON'T INTERRUPT OR RUIN OUR FUTURE CONCERT EXPERIENCES!

If any of you witness the above actions, I urge you to report it to security immediately to have the person removed from the concert. I know it may pull you out of the moment for awhile finding a security person and making sure the offender is dealt with, but you just may be saving the other thousands of people from having their experience blemished when Bono or another band member gets pissed off by someone throwing something at them or shining them with a laser pointer.

Jason

www.u2jt.com

I think unfortunatly a lot of that would be hard to control. In most places in the world, drugs are already illegal. So, if people can smuggle that into a concert, what's to stop them sneaking in contraband alcohol? Also, I think you can go overboard with security measures. It could get to the point where it takes too long to get everyone inside. Then what happens? People miss part of the show and get mad, anyway. I don't think there is any easy solution. I'm sure that the band's security tries their best, both to see that the band is protected, but also the fans.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
'cause they're drunk. simple as that.

Hey Headache, I know you're a big fan of UF and have been to lots of their shows. I also can see from the pictures that you have a pretty good time at the shows.

So, my question is, have you ever thrown anything at Tony?:lol: :mac:

I heard it was an egg thrown at Bono in the Boston DVD/video, that's just mean. Eggs are messy, and probably kinda ripe by the time the "fan" threw it. Bono flipped the person off, but "Irish style."

thrillme said:
I heard it was an egg thrown at Bono in the Boston DVD/video, that's just mean. Eggs are messy, and probably kinda ripe by the time the "fan" threw it. Bono flipped the person off, but "Irish style."

That would really suck if it was, in fact, an egg. What an ass that person is.

I also heard a story where a fan threw something at Henry Rollins (who is a jerk anyway). Apparently Henry was using a corded microphone and he spun it around like a sling shot and let it go and it nailed the guy right in the head and knocked him down.

I don't like Henry, but if this story is true, that would have been awesome to see.

neutral said:

What?! Do tell please. You can't really see that from the DVD, it looks like he just laughs it off, I think. Maybe I'll watch it later. Gee it's been a few days since I've seen it, might as well.
:rolleyes:

Re Bono keeping his cool, I have a bootleg where he gets really pissed at someone in the crowd...it totally ruins Beautiful Day too. :mad:

I wasnt referring to any DVD. I was referring to the 9-15-92 Chicago show. Bono brought two girls on stage for Tryin. One of them got carried away and snatched Edge's cap off his head. He was not pleased.

Having been on stage myself (little theatre), I can imagine why U2 would be mad at someone throwing things at them. You've spent a lot of time and energy rehearsing a show, getting it right, you go out and perform, giving it your all...and some jerk breaks the mood by throwing something at you. :mad:

And there's always the chance that some projectile could seriously injure someone. Some :censored: throws a rock and beans Bono, the concert comes to a screeching halt, Bono is taken to the hospital, the next few concerts are cancelled and have to be rescheduled...hey, rock thrower, I hope you're pleased with yourself. Feel like a big shot now? :madspit:

I agree with what everyone said. If I was a singer and somebody throw something at me the show would be over right there and then, I mean I would keep on playing and singing but I would not enjoy the rest of the show at all. I would be so pissed off that it would ruin the whole thing for me and I f I could I would eliminate a few so songs to end the fucking thing faster. I know that?s not cool with the other people who didn?t do anything?. but I don?t care. And if it were a small place I would probably jump over the person who did this and try to kick his ass!!!!

I have some Metallica videos and there's always some asshole throwing things at their ?favorite band?, there's a moment on the Woodstock '99 show with Metallica where someone threw a plastic bottle at James, it hit his belly but he just ignored it and kept playing. I have a bootleg from Metallica also where someone throws a shoe at James and he says: "Now hold on a second. There's some people out there that finds necessary to throw shit at me, I don't really appreciate that. They might be gifts to you but to me that's a little bit sign of disrespect as far as I'm concerned. I'm here to play as best I can and I can't play really fucking good when there's shit flying at me all right? So if you want to hear and see us better don't throw shit at me, it?s as simple as that." You can tell he is a pissed off when he says that.

BTW If I was Bono and somebody took Edge's beanie away while on stage I would ask to take that person out of the stage immediatly. That's NOT cool or funny.

Blue Room said:

I wasnt referring to any DVD. I was referring to the 9-15-92 Chicago show. Bono brought two girls on stage for Tryin. One of them got carried away and snatched Edge's cap off his head. He was not pleased.

Oh, that makes sense, then. You certainly can't blame him for being upset about that. Trying to take things is right up there with tossing stuff. Not as dangerous, maybe, but the same kind of sentiment.

TheBrazilianFly said:

BTW If I was Bono and somebody took Edge's beanie away while on stage I would ask to take that person out of the stage immediatly. That's NOT cool or funny.

I agree.

Blue Room, just out of curiousity, do you know how Bono reacted to that?

Last edited:
neutral said:

I've got a bootleg ... 3 November 1981, I think, where Bono gets really pissed at someone in the crowd. They restart I Will Follow twice and Bono chews the person right out. I reckon if someone's causing a disturbance in the crowd - be it by fighting, throwing stuff, or anything else - they should be instantly chucked out and Bono (or any other member of U2) is completely justified in giving them a mouthful.

I really despise the so called fans who try so hard to call attention to them when all I want to see and hear is the band. I really do think I'd be likely to clock anyone who threw something that hit a performer.

But I do have a funny and harmless story about stuff that ended up on a stage (sorry, it wasn't at a U2 show). I saw a band at a little bar and the place was pretty packed. As the night progressed it got quite hot, so one of the guitarists said "maybe we should all strip down so we can get a bit cooler." Soon enough a voice piped up "Here you are Marty!" and a black bra was passed up to the very gleeful guitarist. He kept it, too.

And people are surprised when Bono gets upset over a fan acting like that. No wonder he gets mad!

I think he reacts mildly, as others said, some singers would get into the crowd and deal with the intruder face-to-face.

I have a different question for all of you...

I'm sure you remember Diamond Dave (I think he's no longer allowed on this forum...). As you may recall, he hopped on the heart platform and ran towards U2. Those of you at the concert might have even felt U2 were in danger for a moment - until you realized what a fan Dave was.

Without repeating all of Dave's story, I was just curious - do you think this type of behavior, even though it was from a fan, just as bad as throwing things? I do - unless U2 calls you on stage, you aren't wanted there. But maybe these spontaneous moments are cherished by some?? I don't know... :confused:

Fans need to stay on the floor where they belong. It's just as if not more distracting than projectiles.

If you're invited up by the band, that's cool.

u2ulysses said:
Without repeating all of Dave's story, I was just curious - do you think this type of behavior, even though it was from a fan, just as bad as throwing things? I do - unless U2 calls you on stage, you aren't wanted there. But maybe these spontaneous moments are cherished by some?? I don't know... :confused:

Again, from a stage actor's perspective, I wouldn't want an audience member running up on stage; it breaks the mood and ruins the show. Even if they're so enthralled by the performance that they're trying to rescue the heroine from the villain, they need to get a grip on themselves. There's usually a meet-and-greet after the performance, they can get acquainted with the performers there.

I can guess it's the same or similar with musicians.

u2ulysses said:
I'm sure you remember Diamond Dave (I think he's no longer allowed on this forum...). As you may recall, he hopped on the heart platform and ran towards U2. Those of you at the concert might have even felt U2 were in danger for a moment - until you realized what a fan Dave was.

Without repeating all of Dave's story, I was just curious - do you think this type of behavior, even though it was from a fan, just as bad as throwing things? I do - unless U2 calls you on stage, you aren't wanted there. But maybe these spontaneous moments are cherished by some?? I don't know...

Whaaaat?! :shocked: I don't know who Diamond Dave is, nor do I particularly care to, but NO. :angry:

Spontaneous moments from the band are cherished, I think. Like Adam and Larry messing up on AOH at Slane, and Bono grinning back at them.

OK, if anyone still thinks it would be a good idea to throw things at the band, shine lasers in Bono's eyes, or climb on the freakin' heart and charge the band...Well hell I don't care if it's a $5 indie band, or U2 in an arena. I'm there to see the band. Not you. :shame: Gah, how rude can you get?

er...okay, I feel better now

u2ulysses said:
I have a different question for all of you...

I'm sure you remember Diamond Dave (I think he's no longer allowed on this forum...). As you may recall, he hopped on the heart platform and ran towards U2.

Is he the guy who picked Bono up (at Bono's request) and spun him around? Or was that someone else? (And if so, who the heck was that?) Either way, that could easily have been construed as threatening. Bono was extremely gusty to ask that guy to pick him up!

Diamond Dave was a fan who attended the June 9th show in Boston, some security guys went a bit tough on him and Bono went mad and said to leave him alone. (some said Diamond was a bit drunk)
Then he was let up on the heart, picked up Bono and spun him around like a baby (must have been quite a sight, during Walk on. Bono also adds the lyrics "this big guy is made of steel" during the ending to that song), ran a lap around the heart - I think - and went off stage. Didn't threaten Bono or the band in any way.

I don't mind spontaneous moments like that - that's different to shooting lasers around, or throwing objects or pushing other people around. All who do those things should be taken outside by the security and banned to the U2 shows for life. Take their photo, finger prints or any kind of identification tool - so they can't weasle their way back in.

Last edited:
I had a dream in which George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley of Wham! told people to throw fruits at Bono so that God would recognize him. :no:

I think it's stupid to jump on the stage unless the band has asked you to. The security guards or the performers don't know are you there to hug them or harm them.

babyman said:
yeah, i agree with you bono b. jones, but you know, the mothers of the stupids are always pregnant! i remember bono inveigh against a "fan" using laser in the mexico city show of popmart

I like your translation of "la madre degli idioti ? sempre incinta!" Hope English spokers get to understand this!!

Anyway, maybe arresting people, who behaves as fools, could be a little too drastic solution --- but I yhink it will be helpful to KINDLY take them away! :madspit:

valentina said:

I like your translation of "la madre degli idioti ? sempre incinta!" Hope English spokers get to understand this!!

Anyway, maybe arresting people, who behaves as fools, could be a little too drastic solution --- but I yhink it will be helpful to KINDLY take them away! :madspit:

I agree, and kindly being the key word. I love the fact the U2 doesn't allow security to rough-handle the deviants in the crowd.

ylimeU2 said:

I agree, and kindly being the key word. I love the fact the U2 doesn't allow security to rough-handle the deviants in the crowd.

That's important to me!
I hate security members to behave as fool and start kicking and pushing fans!
It's a concert, everyone should just have fun!!

BTW, thanks to U2 fans who can be quite and polite!!
There was a concert of a famous italian singer in Milan last week end and a fan was hit with a knife by another guy.
This is absolutely intolerable!
Hope nothing like that will happen during a U2 concert!!!!

Bono B. Jones said:

Hey Headache, I know you're a big fan of UF and have been to lots of their shows. I also can see from the pictures that you have a pretty good time at the shows.

So, my question is, have you ever thrown anything at Tony?:lol: :mac:

i actually told him i was gonna bring a beach ball one night and throw it at him so he can do the "oh look edge, a beach ball" scene from the slane concert, but everytime i forget to bring the beach ball (damn alcohol)... will be going to see them this weekend and next, perhaps if i remember :hmm:

but to the basic question... i'm a happy drunk, not a mean drunk. thus i wouldn't think to actually try to throw something at anyone. it's the mean drunks that ya gotta worry about... you put a mean drunk near a stage and they'll throw something at their best friend if ya let 'em, let alone a celebrity.

Back
Top Bottom