Why do people hate elevation?? (WARNING: Spoiler)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Why do people hate elevation?? it rocks live!

It still baffles me why so many people hate elevation and complained about it being in the setlist.... This song rocks hard esp live!!! I just don't understand people who hate this song

ah well i for one am EXTREAMLY happy its in the setlist

you clearly are not a true die-hard uber U2 fan

I also like elevation and think it rocks both on vinyl and live.

I agree Elevation rocks. I don't think it will stay in the setlist much longer, though ...

Here is what Bono said in an interview on 2FM after the opening night show in San Diego (From u2log . com):

When talking about the songs he said that 'Streets' had been great, and 'Elevation' was crap but that the crowd carried it for them.

Cheers,
-Cyril

I don't care for Elevation because it is, well, kinda dumb. To me, its just not even close to the peak of U2's songwriting. It's almost as if it were written specifically to be the "rock" song on ATYCLB and the opener for the subsequent tour, rather than as an organic song in its own right. The reason I don't want to hear it, besides the fact that we all heard plenty of it last time around, is simply that there are about three dozen other U2 songs that are more interesting and that I would rather hear . . .

With that said, if Larry keeps singing parts of it - as he apparently did last night - I can live with it just for the pure novelty factor.

Oh, and I almost forgot the four words about Elevation that are truly cringe-inducing: Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.

It's by far not my favorite song, but it's fun and gets the energy up live. Bono did say it sounded crappy at the show last night though, so they may tweak it or drop it altogether.

Elevation was one of the highlights last night. And this is from someone who was not all that fond of that song when ATYCLB came out.

I like Elevation for what it is, a good up beat rock song. Not every song has to be a lyrical masterpiece.

bla.
never liked it.

but I ain't complaining; great setlist.

I personally LOVE Elevation.... I thought I liked the Tomb Raider remix the best UNTIL I heard the Biffco remix! It's a perfect combo of the album and Tomb Raider mix...U should check it out

The kids I teach in my grade 6 class know U2 because of the song Elevation.......

....so I guess it's good for something :|

agreed with anitram.

i simply cannot overlook that. honestly, bono did not put any effort in it whatsoever.

it's an incredibly dumb song with even worse lyrics. it's absolutely embarassing knowing that a band as good as u2, who's put out some of the more amazing songs you'll ever hear, relegated themselves to producing something so incredibly shitty.

jammin909 said:
I like Elevation for what it is, a good up beat rock song. Not every song has to be a lyrical masterpiece.

Thank you. I don't need to say anything else-you took the words out of my mouth.

And seeing as I've never seen this band live, should I ever get the chance, I don't care what they play, I'll be happy to hear any song of theirs, "Elevation" included.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Thank you. I don't need to say anything else-you took the words out of my mouth.

And seeing as I've never seen this band live, should I ever get the chance, I don't care what they play, I'll be happy to hear any song of theirs, "Elevation" included.

Angela

i agree, not everything needs to be a masterpiece.

but it certainly doesn't need to be an abomination either.

I've never really enjoyed the album version.... But I love how it changes live. They play the Tomb Raider mix live, which I think is much better.

It's probably my least favorite U2 song, due mostly to the music video. Ugh, I just hated that thing... lol... Hopefully, hearing it live in person will change my mind!

Why do people hate Miami?

That song is brilliant, and it's 100X better live, but more people hate that song than hate the craptastic Elevation.

To each his own, if I were to introduce someone to U2, someone who otherwise has pretty good music taste, I'd play them 100 U2 songs before I got to Elevation. Some people would say the same about Miami.

Music is just so damn subjective, don't worry about why people don't like the stuff you like. Just like it and be glad you CAN like it. There is so much crap out there to HATE, it's a blessing to have something that is worth listening to.

I've always liked Elevation, too. I think it's one of those fun songs not meant to be taken too seriously, like Trip Through Your Wires. Live, it rocks. It's impossible not to jump up and down when I hear this song played in concert.

Zoomerang96 said:
agreed with anitram.

i simply cannot overlook that. honestly, bono did not put any effort in it whatsoever.

it's an incredibly dumb song with even worse lyrics. it's absolutely embarassing knowing that a band as good as u2, who's put out some of the more amazing songs you'll ever hear, relegated themselves to producing something so incredibly shitty.

I could never bring myself to write what's quoted here - but I have always thought it! So thanks for making my post easier Zoomerang!:wink:

I like deep, soul-wrenching songs like Tomorrow, Elvis Presley & America, and Mercy Street (Peter Gabriel). That being said, I consider Elevation an awesome song. But I don't explain away my affection for it by saying it's just a fun and upbeat trivial rocker. I think the lyrics are at least credible and there are spiritual undertones for those who look.

live , it sounds pretty good , as an opener or even somewhere in the middle
, even awesome
atyclb studio version and all remixes are very dry , there is no life in those sounds , lyrics are ok , not too bad , but not great either

I think it's a great song, not just in an upbeat, psyche the crowd up song! who says U2 need to be serious all the time???? It's a bit of fun, but in a special way that only the lads can do it! but at the same time, there is a very definite message
"Love, lift me up out of these blues,
Won't you tell me something true
I BELIEVE in you"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom