Why do people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
People hate Bono and they don't even know shit about him. These people are especially idiot teenagers. I went through a lotta shit for being a U2 fan in the last 7 years that i have been one. But I recently realised that these morons don't hate U2 as much as they hate Bono. Stupid kids. :mad:

Bono is definitely the greatest human being that has ever lived. :wink: Okay, one of the greatest.

chase.gif

Infinitum98 said:
People hate Bono and they don't even know shit about him. These people are especially idiot teenagers. I went through a lotta shit for being a U2 fan in the last 7 years that i have been one. But I recently realised that these morons don't hate U2 as much as they hate Bono. Stupid kids. :mad:

Bono is definitely the greatest human being that has ever lived. :wink: Okay, one of the greatest.

Very well spoken! :applaud: He is really someone who has given all he can to his fans. Not to mention having used his status for something good and not evil.

first of all let me just say that i love Bono...while i've never met him, his words, his voice, his actions have all touched my heart and soul and lifted me up.
There are several reasons why people hate Bono: 1) his humour/style/arrogance is misunderstood by a lot; 2) his vast intellectual curoisty (even in the capital field) is largely seen as an anti-true artist sort of thing; 3) most great people are loved and hated...beauty creates strong convictions

blueyedpoet said:
first of all let me just say that i love Bono...while i've never met him, his words, his voice, his actions have all touched my heart and soul and lifted me up.
There are several reasons why people hate Bono: 1) his humour/style/arrogance is misunderstood by a lot; 2) his vast intellectual curoisty (even in the capital field) is largely seen as an anti-true artist sort of thing; 3) most great people are loved and hated...beauty creates strong convictions

Yea you're right. And I have to admit, Bono does get annoying sometimes. But this is coming from someone who knows more about Bono then the average person. I can't stand it when people make convictions about U2 or Bono when they don't know anything.

you know what it is? people don't like their celebrities to be smart. has anyone seen the tom cruise video of him getting squirted? he acts so cool and collected after that and he handles himself SO well, yet if you read anyone's comments about it, they think hes a loser/jackass for asking the guy who squirted him with water why he'd do that

we live in a sad world these days :(

I think what it is about Bono that people hate so much is that he's just himself! He makes no apologies for his intellegence or his creative ways. Naturally he's going to stir jealousy in those who lack these traits. Pisses me off that people could go and bad mouth him or the band without knowing one damn thing! And let's be truthful each one of us annoys someone at some period of time even if noone tells you it.

Last edited:
BonosBaby12 said:
I think what it is about Bono that people hate so much is that he's just himself! He makes no apologies for his intellegence or his creative ways. Naturally he's going to stir jealousy in those who lack these traits.

For one thing, Bono constantly repeats himself regarding both his causes and music pursuits. Not everyone will see all of his interviews, so for saturation sake I guess he needs to be consistent, but he could throw a little more variety in there once in a while (and some respect for the person conducting the interview, seeing as most have done their research).

Sure he's using his celebrity in a useful way that takes advantage of the spotlight opportunity, and for the most part I don't think people take offense to that.

But, people do get tired of hearing the same answers and the same words... this type of repetition and monotony could be the root of many folks' criticism. Both in terms of his musical and charitable aspirations.

:shh:

cujo said:

For one thing, Bono constantly repeats himself regarding both his causes and music pursuits.

in every interview, acceptance speech, concert, etc....does he have to tell us that he is Irish and that his band is Irish? :wink:

People hate Bono because there is something in their lives which is unfulfilled.

Either they envy his money, his fame, his good heart, his family life, his musical accomplishments, his humanitarian accomplishments, his honesty/gentleness/intelligence/good looks/optimism/charisma/sense of humor, etc.

There is nothing wrong with Bono- Bono is the person he was meant to be. The question is: are we the people that we are meant to be?

It's easier to criticize someone else than to improve our own lives.

GO BONO - :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:

Isn't it just as easy to attach esteem to others, rather than establishing our own self-worth? In the end, aren't both cases just referencing another person to derive a sense of personal value?

Those who callously reject Bono for his actions are quite harmless in comparison to the dangerous folk who praise his motives without any questions.

With due respect for your opinion, cujo, common sense will tell us that if we are living positive lives then we try to find the positive in others.

The converse is also true.

But there's no reason to debate - we are all entitled to our opinions.

LOVE AND PEACE....:wink:

Jamila said:
People hate Bono because there is something in their lives which is unfulfilled.

Either they envy his money, his fame, his good heart, his family life, his musical accomplishments, his humanitarian accomplishments, his honesty/gentleness/intelligence/good looks/optimism/charisma/sense of humor, etc.

There is nothing wrong with Bono- Bono is the person he was meant to be. The question is: are we the people that we are meant to be?

GO BONO - :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Thank you exactly what I was saying :). As for repeating himself in every interview,oh well. To be honest nobody is forced to watch it. Hey if he's proud of being Irish and being in a band than whatever it's his choice to say it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion including Bono and those of us here on the posts.

Jamila said:
With due respect for your opinion, cujo, common sense will tell us that if we are living positive lives then we try to find the positive in others.

The converse is also true.

Ergo, ultimately absolving them of accountability.

:sexywink:

I kid though. It just amazes me how many people get mad over this, and how many more actually assume those who question Bono are mentally disturbed or simply moronic. By the same token, I could assume that those who deject the "Bono-haters" are focusing a little too much on the negative in others.

:shh:

People don't like Bono because:

1) He has a LOT of money, and then tells people who are struggling to make ends meet that they should be giving their money away

2) He continues to talk about the greatness of America, like it is the only place that exists and can make a difference ( hello, the REST of the world?????)

3) People don't like having people who are so far removed form their own reality telling them what to do

All of the above makes it sound like I don't really like Bono myself, which is completely untrue. I have so much respect for this man and his work. I would not be the person I am today without him.

And just to clarify....I also have nothing against Americans. You are the world superpower, and it is true little will be done without you coming to the party. Just, you know, there are other places on the planet..... I mean, touring there TWICE ????? Makes it a little hard for me, sitting here in Australia.....

"Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Criticism is thrown towards Bono because he's egotistical or neglects to mention a country. Or he wears the same outfit twice or gave the same interview over and over. Yet if we looked deep down inside of ourselves and are truly honest. Than we will see that we have plenty to be criticized over too. To put it this way how you would feel if Bono were to point out all of your faults? Guaranteed that after awhile some feelings would be changing. If someone doesn't like him than hey no problem! I respect other's opinions.

Infinitum98 said:

in every interview, acceptance speech, concert, etc....does he have to tell us that he is Irish and that his band is Irish? :wink:

Yes. Do you realize how many people get confused and think U2 is from England or Scotland? :huh:

I don't understand how people can hate Bono, honestly. My friend was telling me that her boyfriend has a shirt that says "KILL BONO" (could have been made by Neil McCormick now that I think of it :wink: ). Why? Why so much hate for some guy he's never met and doesn't even know much about, someone who is actually doing GOOD in the world? I hate Dave Matthews Band, but I wouldn't wear a shirt that says "KILL DAVE MATTHEWS." I may not like his music but he seems like he's a decent guy, does a lot of charity work, ect...and I hardly know anything about him. I certainly don't want him to DIE. I've heard people say the world would be better off without Bono... what kind of nonsense is that?!

1) He has a LOT of money, and then tells people who are struggling to make ends meet that they should be giving their money away

But does he really? He's an activist, working for change, and asking governments to help out, but at least in his recent work for debt relief and ending extreme poverty, he's not asking the "little people" for money.

And yes, I realize that governments' money ultimately comes from its citizens, but he's not asking people who struggle to make ends meet for their money.

But maybe you're just saying that the perception is there? That people don't like him because they think that's what he's doing?

(And if that's the case, that argument burns me up. Where is it written that only poor people can try and help other poor people?)

AtomicBono said:

Yes. Do you realize how many people get confused and think U2 is from England or Scotland? :huh:

I don't understand how people can hate Bono, honestly. My friend was telling me that her boyfriend has a shirt that says "KILL BONO" (could have been made by Neil McCormick now that I think of it :wink: ). Why? Why so much hate for some guy he's never met and doesn't even know much about, someone who is actually doing GOOD in the world? I hate Dave Matthews Band, but I wouldn't wear a shirt that says "KILL DAVE MATTHEWS." I may not like his music but he seems like he's a decent guy, does a lot of charity work, ect...and I hardly know anything about him. I certainly don't want him to DIE. I've heard people say the world would be better off without Bono... what kind of nonsense is that?!

Hate for Bono and U2 in general is worse in indie circles because basically U2 represent everything they feel music is not meant to be..as in self promoting..i really dislike most indie types, they have more bloody stuck-up ideals and arrogance than Bono has ever had:wink:

Bono would have to go about wearing rags for people to even consider respecting him....

And the thing about him repeating himself a lot...you have to, to drive home the message it will eventually piss off enough people to get them to do something...he also repeats himself because he keeps getting asked the same questions..why bother changing your answers?

AtomicBono said:

I don't understand how people can hate Bono, honestly. My friend was telling me that her boyfriend has a shirt that says "KILL BONO" (

The whole KILL BONO t-shirt was put out in the early 90's by the record label for the band Negativeland, the band felt that U2 and/or their management was targeting them for putting out a record called "U2" before Acthung came out. It's a long story and a fiasco but the point is, Negativeland and their label felt that U2 were being hypocritical and using their power to go after a small band and yadda yadda yadda and that's how the shirt came to be.

I don't know anyone who really has tons of rancor for Bono, per se. I do know people who dislike him and usually their reason stems from the fact they think he's cheesy--on stage and off. I'm sure some people have images of JT Bono dancing in their heads, which, I can admit, be extremely hard to take at times.

I don't know how anyone could hate him. I think maybe they just don't get him or don't see enough to make an educated opinion. Or maybe they are evil and have no soul :grumpy:

redkat said:
I don't know how anyone could hate him. I think maybe they just don't get him or don't see enough to make an educated opinion. Or maybe they are evil and have no soul :grumpy:

Evil and no soul for the most part i find:wink:

I think a lot of people don't really "hate" the man, what they dislike is the attention -- worship, even -- that he gets. He's in a very well known, popluar band, and he uses his celebrity to promote several humanitarian causes. But he's often treated as if he's the second coming (and worse yet -- sometimes seems to even believe it himself :wink: ), which can certainly rankle.

Back
Top Bottom