Why do people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carmelu2fan said:
If it was not for Bono speaking out about these very strong issues at his concerts , I am ashamed to admit I would not have even been aware of it!!! I am so glad that he cares and that he speaks about these things at his concerts...I guess people rather just ignore that fact that there are others that need help:tsk:

Yeah but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth when he is preaching to many people how bad the situation in Africa is and then going and buying a new £100,000 sports car or a new villa in the south of france, don't ya think?:eyebrow:

Yeah but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth when he is preaching to many people how bad the situation in Africa is and then going and buying a new £100,000 sports car or a new villa in the south of france, don't ya think?

No.

Who says only the poor can try and help the poor?

Besides - it's not going to make the situation in Africa any better if he doesn't buy something expensive, is it?

It just means he has a lot more "discretionary" income than most. It's none of our business what he does with it. Just as it's none of our business to know how much he privately donates to his causes.

If you found out that Bill and Melinda Gates bought a new yacht and a new mansion somewhere, would that give you a sour taste in your mouth? Would you rather they just up and stop the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, that gives away PILES of money to worthy causes?

Last edited:
lol, i was searching myspace groups under the word 'bono' and maybe 2 or 3 groups came up supporting bono and the rest had names like 'I Hate Bono', 'I Like U2 but i hate Bono', 'Bono si the antichrist'....etc...

no matter how great of a person you might be, people will always dislike you for whatever dumb reasons, sometimes people dont even have reasons they dislike just to dislike someone. It's very easy to dislike Bono, a rockstar in his stature who is practically everywhere! People might just see him all over tv, magazines and newspapers and just might get tired of him kind of like Paris hilton in that sense. I'm not comparing the two at all, god forbid... and yeah for people not familiar with the band Bono does come off as arrogant, he has a sense of humour that most won't understand if they're not a fan.

Carmelu2fan said:
If it was not for Bono speaking out about these very strong issues at his concerts , I am ashamed to admit I would not have even been aware of it!!! I am so glad that he cares and that he speaks about these things at his concerts...I guess people rather just ignore that fact that there are others that need help:tsk:

Just because Bono talks about Africa at concerts doesn't mean people will respond. And if Bono doesn't talk about Africa at concerts, it doesn't mean that people are not taking action. Bono talking about Africa at concerts and U2 having so many Africa/Human Rights/Equality messages in their concerts this tour makes the shows less intimate because it makes people feel like they're attendance in the show is for Africa and that the band are playing to support Africa. If most of the Africa parts were stripped from the show, then the show would simply be just about the band and the fans.

I mean it's a little too much this tour: Africa speech during Streets, Streets Africa backdrop, "Everyone" speech during Pride, Human Rights Video, One Campaign, "Coexist" during L&P.

Brad Pitt is also all for Africa. But how would you feel if there were Africa messages throughout all his movies asking for support for the One Campaign, etc?

Last edited:
elevation2u said:
lol, i was searching myspace groups under the word 'bono' and maybe 2 or 3 groups came up supporting bono and the rest had names like 'I Hate Bono', 'I Like U2 but i hate Bono', 'Bono si the antichrist'....etc...

Here's a myspace group that hates U2: http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=100088555

Apparantely some of the reasons are: they never released a good song, Bono can't count in Spanish, they sold out in the IPOD commercial, they're wayyy tooo old, their guitarist is named "The Edge."

I say we all make myspace accounts and take this group out. :wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth when he is preaching to many people how bad the situation in Africa is and then going and buying a new £100,000 sports car or a new villa in the south of france, don't ya think?:eyebrow:

Well, as much as I disagree with this, this could very well be the reason some people who don't know much about Bono and his activism could be rubbed the wrong way.

What they should know, however, is that even if he gave ALL his money away and moved his family into a box it still wouldn't make a dent in what's going on in Africa. And, most importantly, a lot of the solutions to this problem can only come through the work of governments and large institutions. Bono giving money is not going to get the debt dropped or stamp out corruption.

Lemonfix said:

Well, as much as I disagree with this, this could very well be the reason some people who don't know much about Bono and his activism could be rubbed the wrong way.

What they should know, however, is that even if he gave ALL his money away and moved his family into a box it still wouldn't make a dent in what's going on in Africa. And, most importantly, a lot of the solutions to this problem can only come through the work of governments and large institutions. Bono giving money is not going to get the debt dropped or stamp out corruption.

Ahhh corruption and Africa, 2 words that belong in the same sentence!

Perhaps you are right corianderstem:confused: I just wish I could just tell those dumb arse people a thing or two!!!:mad: :rant: :angry: :grumpy: :shame: :yell: :madspit:

I am a member of some other bands boards (Coldplay and Radiohead) The Coldplay board is pretty much pro Bono and pro U2, but my god do the Radiohead fans hate Bono. I mean they slag him off because he likes Radiohead. They slagged him off when he did that article with Cott(?) about them selling out because he had the audacity to say he wanted Radiohead to appear on Mtv and the radio to gain more fans. They also slagged him off when he said he loved radiohead and wanted them to join the line up for Live 8. That said, people on the board hate everyone who even mentions the word "Thom" and "Yorke" in the same sentence. The only artists they do like are the ones that are unknown, fucking eltitists.

mickeza said:
I am a member of some other bands boards (Coldplay and Radiohead) The Coldplay board is pretty much pro Bono and pro U2, but my god do the Radiohead fans hate Bono. I mean they slag him off because he likes Radiohead. They slagged him off when he did that article with Cott(?) about them selling out because he had the audacity to say he wanted Radiohead to appear on Mtv and the radio to gain more fans. They also slagged him off when he said he loved radiohead and wanted them to join the line up for Live 8. That said, people on the board hate everyone who even mentions the word "Thom" and "Yorke" in the same sentence. The only artists they do like are the ones that are unknown, fucking eltitists.

Gotta love a fan site that can't bear the name of its lead singer being mentioned hehehehe

mickeza said:
The Coldplay board is pretty much pro Bono and pro U2, but my god do the Radiohead fans hate Bono. I mean they slag him off because he likes Radiohead. They slagged him off when he did that article with Cott(?) about them selling out because he had the audacity to say he wanted Radiohead to appear on Mtv and the radio to gain more fans. They also slagged him off when he said he loved radiohead and wanted them to join the line up for Live 8.

They flame Bono for liking Radiohead, on a Radiohead forum? :confused:

Ah, dont care about these people. Its their own lose

That said, if another yuppy teen classmate of mine says one more thing about Bono... i'm going to have to :mad: !

mickeza said:

Funny, aren't some of the Radiohead guys U2 fans...

Anyway, I think a lot of people are taking other people's dislike of Bono way too personally. Every band/artist has its haters, I don't care who they are. And the more popular you are, the more haters you will have, it's that simple.

Lemonfix said:

Funny, aren't some of the Radiohead guys U2 fans...

Anyway, I think a lot of people are taking other people's dislike of Bono way too personally. Every band/artist has its haters, I don't care who they are. And the more popular you are, the more haters you will have, it's that simple.

Yea you're right. But it's different for U2 and it's fans. U2 fans are more connected to the band then other fans of other bands. We see Bono and the boys as family. I'm sure 50 Cent fans don't see 50 Cent as family.

Infinitum98 said:
People hate Bono and they don't even know shit about him. These people are especially idiot teenagers. I went through a lotta shit for being a U2 fan in the last 7 years that i have been one. But I recently realised that these morons don't hate U2 as much as they hate Bono. Stupid kids. :mad:

Bono is definitely the greatest human being that has ever lived. :wink: Okay, one of the greatest.

Greater than Jesus.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom