Why didnt U2 like Vertigo Discoteque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I heard some where that they didnt like how it turned out so they cut it from the tour. It seems to me to be the best thing I have ever heard. It was the best thing about the Vertigo tour in my oppinion and it seems like the majority of fans went crazy for it. It reay did seem so badass of them and sounded better than it ever did with the more agressive drumming. Why do u guys think they stoped playing it

Agree, its by far the best version of Discotheque, however I read somewhere that Edge didn't like it. Who knows, that could be why it only appeared twice.

Because they are becoming to old. :wink: (joke)

But it beats me as well, i believe the Vertigo tour version of Discotheque was by far the best one.

Just a blast, it should have stayed on the setlist.

Just take a look at the crowd and you'll see why.
Along with The Fly and The Electric Co. it was the best thing that happened to the Vertigo Tour.

I still remember when I discovered that U2 would be doing something from Pop on the Vertigo tour. I was in the seats directly behind the soundboard at Toronto 1, and I could see the tech guys fiddling with some very Popmart-ish symbols on their computers...(aw, I found the picture I took of it.) I can't explain how excited I was. I thought they were going to pull out Mofo or something at that show - it was the first show of the third leg, after all, anything could have happened.

Oh, how I wish I could have been at Toronto 4 instead! Vertigo Discotheque was amazing and I still can't fathom why the band felt they had to drop it.

I loved the bootleg the first few times I heard it, but then after repeated listening I realized why it didn't stand up to previous renditions of the song.

I have to hand it to Edge, when it comes to long-term listenability, he's usually pretty spot on with achieving that point.

The story is that Edge didnt think it fit into the setlist well and didnt want to play it anymore. What is interesting is they were still working on the song after the last time they played it in Chicago. I thought it was really cool with the Pop Muzik intro also. The Pop Muzik intro was nixed by Bono, he said it didnt work. They were also working out a version of Disco that was a little shorter that would have been awesome. Unfortunately on this one Edge has alot to say about what they play live.

Blue Room said:
The story is that Edge didnt think it fit into the setlist well and didnt want to play it anymore. What is interesting is they were still working on the song after the last time they played it in Chicago. I thought it was really cool with the Pop Muzik intro also. The Pop Muzik intro was nixed by Bono, he said it didnt work. They were also working out a version of Disco that was a little shorter that would have been awesome. Unfortunately on this one Edge has alot to say about what they play live.

Where did you get this info?

man i wish soooooo much i had gotten to see discotheque live...the vertigo version was amazing. the only Pop song I've seen live was Gone on Elevation.

maybe it will fit in with next tour? :shrug: doubtful if edge didnt like it, but you never know...at least we have a recording of it. Definitely best version of Disco ever.

AtomicBono said:

maybe it will fit in with next tour? :shrug: doubtful if edge didnt like it, but you never know...at least we have a recording of it. Definitely best version of Disco ever.

I dont think its that Edge doesnt like the song. It was he didnt think it fit the Vertigo setlist flow. So it could appear again on another tour for sure. I think it all depends on what the next tour setlist is like more than anything.

Holy shit, I liked Pop...but thought that Dischoteque lacked something.

This version renewed my interest in the song!

Move over Larry, make room for Edge on the "WTF were you thinking?" list.

This prompted me to also watch some of the las vegas popmart show. Interesting. There's a certain quality about something so subpar for them.

Blue Room said:

I dont think its that Edge doesnt like the song. It was he didnt think it fit the Vertigo setlist flow. So it could appear again on another tour for sure. I think it all depends on what the next tour setlist is like more than anything.

Popcore carnts!

I still scratch my head about U2 & Pop. Bono brags and talks about being a "rock" band and they don't even play songs off their (arguably) most rocking album. Where the heck is LNOE??

Discotheque from Vertigo was a bit off the wall. But so was Zoo Station. There was no reason could of been rotated for the encore.

Encore
Discotheque
The Fly

:drool: What a killer encore. Those who saw that combo are very lucky.

zoopop said:
I still scratch my head about U2 & Pop. Bono brags and talks about being a "rock" band and they don't even play songs off their (arguably) most rocking album. Where the heck is LNOE??

Discotheque from Vertigo was a bit off the wall. But so was Zoo Station. There was no reason could of been rotated for the encore.

Encore
Discotheque
The Fly

:drool: What a killer encore. Those who saw that combo are very lucky.

I agree about LNOE. When U2 were toying with the idea of a Pop encore for the tentative (then scratched) spring N. America stadium leg I thought it would be the perfect edition. Unfortnately I think LNOE may never be played again. I thought it was great on the Popmart tour.

I saw the Disco/Fly encore and it was alright. Honestly it wasnt as great in person as it looks like on paper or maybe even on bootleg. It was cool, but it was cool to me because it was something different. I have to admit though I kind of missed Zoo Station at that point. Actually I thought the next nights setlist and show September 21 was much better and a better show.

Back
Top Bottom