Why didn't Adam perform with U2 for CARLING AWARDS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
Was this the same performance that Stuart played behind a cardboard cutout of Adam??
That performance was sometime in february. We talked about it in PLEBA, but no one really knew the answer..........
Sorry I can't help too much.

A few quotes from the March 9 NME:

"The band were unable to collect their award in person at last week's NME Carling Awards so as an exclusive for us they recorded a special version of the Ramones' Beat on the Brat"

...which featured the band playing live, minus Adam "Cleared Out" Clayton - replaced by a cardboard cut-out."

No reason given for Adam's "clear out."

It was the performance where Stuart played behind the cardboard cut out of Adam

Thanks for the input, guys/girls....

if anybody has any other info..i'd be interested to know......

(I personally think that U2 cancelled the summer tour because one or more of them scotched the idea (most likely Adam or Larry)....hopefully it is so they can put 110% into the next album)

I have noticed this for awhile now, that Adam just doesn't seem to be as down with the other three. Dating back to the earliest days, he was different. They were religious, he was a partier. Later, he had to give up his smoking and drinking and guess what? The rest of them started doing it! I wouldn't image that other than the band they have all that much in common. Look, Bono, Edge, and Larry all have marriage or long term relationships and several children and pets. Adam has no one that I know of. Bono and Edge seem very tight, and Larry is close to them too, but not Adam so much. In the 60 minutes II interview, Adam was not even in the studio. When they announced the tour, Adam was the cardboard cutout. At the Slane aftershow party, Adam did not attend. At the aftershow for the recent Meteor awards, the other three arrived in a car together, but Adam came seperately.

I don't want to suggest that there may be trouble between them, because after all don't most of you work with someone you aren't mad at, just don't really care to have anything to do with in your personal life? Maybe he's just a different breed and they don't hit it off or get on as well. I don't think they'll ever get rid of him, or that he'll leave, despite recent nasty rumors. I think they have been together so long now they'd be too stubborn to break up the band, even if they only stay together for the sake of the band like some people do in sour marriages for the children. It could be he doesn't even play on all the studio tracks and only goes on the tours to be part of it and keep U2 together, but regardless, I don't think it's anything sinister and I don't believe they will ever break up. If they ever do stop, it will be as a band. U2 would never go on with a substitute member. They've never been that kind of guys. They've come too far down the road to start now.

Whoops double post sorry
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-19-2002).]

ummm didn't we just go over all of this?

there are a 1 000 000 + 1 reasons adam wasn't there.

It could just be Adam was on vacation or...something happened in his family where he had to leave.

I know there has been a lot of speculation about Adam/future of U2/etc...

But I saw in a US music mag that Adam did not perform with the rest of U2 on a Ramones tune they played for the Carling Awards (which I did not see- since I live in the US)

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY?/ HAS U2 STATED WHY?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first performace since Sidney that he's missed?

.....not a good sign

Originally posted by kobayashi:
ummm didn't we just go over all of this?

there are a 1 000 000 + 1 reasons adam wasn't there.

that?s right. Can we stop this now? Please?

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

They used a cardboard cutout of Adam somewhere before didn't they? It was a number of years ago at some awards show or something like that. Just an appearance not a performance. Do any of the U2 history buffs know? I just remember hearing about it and thinking it was really funny.
biggrin.gif

Well Since Paul McGuiness just released a press statement that U2 are currently working on a new album in the studio and that they are not breaking up....it seems to make the conversation I started a moot point

But thanks for all the input though.....

And I do agree with Desire4Bono that it seems that Adam (at points throughout the band's history) has been the least committed to the band of the 4 of them.....

I just hope he doesn't decide to break up the band one day....hopefully when/if U2 ever metaphorically "split up" they do it in a manner so characteristic of their friendships....where it's unanimous, without fighting and lawsuits

adam was with me. sorry to break it to you.

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

I was going to post something like that, Madamc, but I was afraid I'd get yelled at. Hee hee.

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Won't you kiss me on that MIDNIGHT STREET, sweep me OFF MY FEET, singing 'ain't this life SO SWEET?' -David Gray

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by madonna's child:
I was going to post something like that, Madamc, but I was afraid I'd get yelled at. Hee hee.

but he was with me
wink.gif

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

they used the cutout Adam when they were first promoting ATYCLB on TRL on MTV, not the performance, when they appearred via satelitte to announce the release date.

(I think)

Originally posted by mercedesbox:
they used the cutout Adam when they were first promoting ATYCLB on TRL on MTV, not the performance, when they appearred via satelitte to announce the release date.

(I think)

They used it when they announced the tour dates on MTV and VH1 on Jan.9, 2001.

Back
Top Bottom