why did U2 record Christmas(Baby Please Come Home)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
was it on some sort of a charity disc?

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

it was on a christmas album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I just saw the video to this last night. feckin' hilarious. It looks like an outtake from R&H. Black and white, the guys playing it live on stage at a rehearsal or somethin, and Bono hamming it up for the camera as always. Kind of a silly little song, but I think it's good fun.
smile.gif

Edge looks so fed up with Bono in the video! It's awesome.. if you watch closely he actually rolls his eyes in disgust at one point.
biggrin.gif

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
Edge looks so fed up with Bono in the video! It's awesome.. if you watch closely he actually rolls his eyes in disgust at one point.
biggrin.gif

I know...that was my favorite part! lmao. He does a complete eye-roll at Bono, but it looks like he's laughing too.
biggrin.gif
Not quite like the ISHFWILF vid when he looks pissed and ready to push Bono out of his face.

-sula

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I know...that was my favorite part! lmao. He does a complete eye-roll at Bono, but it looks like he's laughing too.
biggrin.gif
Not quite like the ISHFWILF vid when he looks pissed and ready to push Bono out of his face.

-sula
Yeah you're right... nothing tops that!

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
Yeah you're right... nothing tops that!

Nope. But this one comes close. Gotta love the rather "brotherly" interaction between Edge and Bono. Edge always seems like the patient older brother putting up with his kid brother's screwball antics.
biggrin.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

Yes, it was recorded for the first (and best) A Very Special Christmas album. The album was organized by Jimmy Iovine (producer of UABRS and Rattle and Hum, also the owner of Interscope Records, U2's label), so U2 agreed to contribute as a favor to him. The video was recorded quickly at a souncheck late in the Joshua tour on leg 3 (maybe the Hampton, VA shows in 12/87?...not sure on that one).

Hello,

I just took the CD out of my CD-rack. The track was recorded in Glasgow on July 29, 1987 during a soundcheck. It was produced by Jimmy Iovine and I just see that it was recorded by Scott Litt! (Longtime REM producer). Oh, and Darlene Love contributes backing vocals.

(On a slightly related note)
Last Thursday I could resist myself when I saw the box set Phil Spector Back To Mono. 60 Irresistable tracks produced by Phil Spector, plus what is considered the best Christmas album ever: A Christmas Gift To You (from Phil Spector). It has the original version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), sung by Darlene Love.
I haven't listened to it though as we first have a holiday on December 5. So Christmas season does not start before December 6.

Anyway, great song, great Christmas album, good charity. What more do you want?

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
biggrin.gif

I love that part...hehehe...

Bono: *sings and looks lovingly at Edge*

Edge: *thinking, if you ever look at me that way again, yer gettin' a guitar up the arse...*

biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

According to the book I have, U2- The Complete Songs, Bono and the boys wrote it.

Best damn non-religious xmas song I've ever heard...

------------------
The numeral 7

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 12-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Se7en:
According to the book I have, U2- The Complete Songs, Bono and the boys wrote it.

Best damn non-religious xmas song I've ever heard...

That book is wrong then. It's an old song. I think a previous poster mentioned that also.

------------------
You've got a head full of traffic
You're a siren's song

AH! One of my favorite songs, brings back memories of my mom and dads home...I taped it and then I watched it over and over again atleast 30 times (my mom sais) that night and I made them watch it over and over too, that whole holiday season it was the only song blaring thru our home!
I thought Bono looked soooo sexy in it, I really fell in love with that vid. And the Edge rolling his eyes, yes, too funny!
I think I'm gonna roll that tape out right now, I'm in that festive mood!

I remember the Christmas my parents were divorced during. I wasn't allowed to play this song in front of my dad because it made him cry. But now my parents are back together, so I can crank it!!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Who wrote that song?

I've heard it done by U2 (of course), and then yesterday I heard what sounded like Mariah Carey singing the same one.

Is it originally U2's? Or is theirs a cover of someone's?

------------------
~*Mona*~ Echo's Pimpstress Protege
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

"For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono!" ~Echo~

STING:Some dark-haired girl in a camo hat chloroformed me and Bruce Springsteen and put us in these big jars in the basement.~Echo~

I actually like that video.....It is from the Rattle & Hum era too. I'll have to watch it to see Edge "rolling" his eyes...I never caught that before.

Originally posted by WildHonee:
Who wrote that song?

I've heard it done by U2 (of course), and then yesterday I heard what sounded like Mariah Carey singing the same one.

Is it originally U2's? Or is theirs a cover of someone's?

The writers of the song are Phil Spector, Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry, my new heroes since Thursday (also: Da Do Ron Ron, Heartbreaker, Chapel Of Love, Be My Baby, Then He Kissed Me, River Deep Mountain High and countless other hits).

The original is by Darlene Love who sang it in 1963.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom