Why did U2 change record labels for ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Interscope and Island are somehow connected in some business way

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 01-15-2002).]

There was a MASSIVE merger frenzy a couple of years ago. Many labels vanished, and many artists found themselves dropped.

After all the merging was over, U2 landed on Interscope in the U.S. (Something I always felt would happen). I believe the Island label carries them overseas.

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
There was a MASSIVE merger frenzy a couple of years ago. Many labels vanished, and many artists found themselves dropped.

After all the merging was over, U2 landed on Interscope in the U.S. (Something I always felt would happen). I believe the Island label carries them overseas.

Jimmy Iovine started interscope. He got his start producing live albums including Rattle and Hum and Under a Blood Red Sky. With all of Island's problems, it was a natural extension for U2 to come over.

CK

PS As a sidenote: I was pretty good friends with Jimmy Iovine's newphew. Played high school golf with him. I remember when he would brag about how his uncle owned a record label and how Geraldo was going to be big (Geraldo was one of interscope's first signings). I should have called him to get some U2 tickets. I'm sure he could have hooked me up. But I haven't talked to him in about 5 years, so I was reluctant to contact him...although I should have...

CK again

both labels are under UNIVERSAL music now.

So U2 has signed under Interscope in the US,
under ISLAND in Europe...

Originally posted by TheU2:
PS As a sidenote: I was pretty good friends with Jimmy Iovine's newphew. Played high school golf with him. I remember when he would brag about how his uncle owned a record label and how Geraldo was going to be big (Geraldo was one of interscope's first signings). I should have called him to get some U2 tickets. I'm sure he could have hooked me up. But I haven't talked to him in about 5 years, so I was reluctant to contact him...although I should have...

CK again

do you mean geraldo the talk show host or "gerado" the old latin pop star famous for "riiiiicooo... suaaaaveee.."

i think you mean the latter. because i saw a where are they now about gerado and what he's doing now. i think they said gerado is now head of the latin music department of interscope.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom