Why did The Edge gave up on finding new guitar sounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick said:
Effects and guitar sounds is just a matter of technology. I'm more interested in the notes Edge chooses to play and his reasons behind it. I am more interested in what he actually plays as opposed to the effects/pedals he uses.

Cheers,

J

You do have infinite wisdom:wink:

ADecentMelody said:

On WOWY, I think you're confusing the shimmer effect with his Infinite guitar (aka E-Bow). They do use the shimmer effect with MD, SYCMIOYO, etc. on these mini tours.

Nonono,

The shimmer effect is the high pitched string sound that comes in on "through the storm", The infinite sustain is caused by the ebow and just makes the string vibrate, Edge mixes in the pitch effect with a pedal during the song.

He used an AMS delay into a Reverb module for the shimmer sound. And that was in his rack in 87.

ZeroDude said:

You do have infinite wisdom:wink:

HAHA!!

I bet if Edge used no effects Jick would be like "OMG WTF, Edge is no longer innovating."

A U2 gig without Edge's effects and backing tracks would be quite frankly, crap.

U2_Guy said:
Edge's guitar sound was always about "not sounding like a guitar".

Edge himself was always telling journalists that his goal was to try to find different sounds that sometimes the listener would not even know it was a guitar sound. That pursue had it's culmination on the 90's records.

But since ATYCLB, Edge's guitar is just the chiming guitar. Not that this is a bad thing at all. It is still brilliant and better than any other guitar.

Why did he give up on distortions, effects, and on the pursue for new sounds?
an

I disagree on two accounts:

1) AB is full of chiming guitars. The echo effect was HEAVILY used on AB. Nothing really all that "new" there.

2) Edge has a wonderful distortion effect on L&PorE - in fact, I've never heard Edge use this effect!

Sounds like he's still persuing new sounds to me - and that he didn't pursue new sounds in the past as much as some of you claim. Aaaah...once again there's that selective memory that some U2 fans have. :wink:

Re: Re: Why did The Edge gave up on finding new guitar sounds?

doctorwho said:
an

I disagree on two accounts:

1) AB is full of chiming guitars. The echo effect was HEAVILY used on AB. Nothing really all that "new" there.

2) Edge has a wonderful distortion effect on L&PorE - in fact, I've never heard Edge use this effect!

Sounds like he's still persuing new sounds to me - and that he didn't pursue new sounds in the past as much as some of you claim. Aaaah...once again there's that selective memory that some U2 fans have. :wink:

Well said

Back
Top Bottom