Why did the band decide on ABOY for the US and SYCMOYO for the rest OTW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
I guess "how" is a better question. I personaly love ABOY, but from the polls on this board it's obvious SYCMOYO is a far more appealing song. So, did U2 have a group of people sample the album for feedback? 'Cause if they did, I doubt the consensous would have been that ABOY was the 2nd or even 3rd strongest track on the album. UNLESS, the demographic was 13-18 year old blink-182ers! Maybe thats there target audience here in the states because, otherwise, I don't see the reasoning behind the Vertigo-ABOY one-two punch! SYCMOYO seems like the obvious choice to follow V and I'm sure its a band favorite. I'm convinced that SYCMOYO would do alot more for album sales, by bringing in some of the ATYCLB type audience. ABOY will give those who haven't bought/heard the album the idea that its a full out guitar-punk album. Kind of like false advertisng, don't you guys/gals think?

Salim

Last edited:
I think U2 is trying to appeal to the younger crowd in the US.

They've got their attention with Vertigo and one more rocker will help even more.

Then, they can drop a slow song on the US with a bit less chance of being percieved as a "boring band for old people", which I think they would get in the US if SYCMIOYO was released 2nd.

Just my thoughts...

Zoocoustic said:

They've got their attention with Vertigo and one more rocker will help even more.

Then, they can drop a slow song on the US with a bit less chance of being percieved as a "boring band for old people", which I think they would get in the US if SYCMIOYO was released 2nd.

Just my thoughts...

I agree. Sad, but true.

Just to confirm, we're talking United States as a single country, not as North America as a whole right? I hate when people refer to North America as just America, and then that turns into the United States of America...:mad:

I just want to know if Canada will be getting SYCMIOYO as a part of the 'rest of the world'...

kakvox said:

I agree. Sad, but true.

I like looking around non-U2 fan music websites and have read alot of "kids" bitching something to the tune of 'Vertigo is good but, apart from one or two other tracks, the rest of the album is adult contemporary crap. Point is, they are mistakenly targeting an audience with an album that apart from ABOY & Vertigo, is unlikely to win over the MTV crowd.
They should be going after the 21-30ish listener. This album is more likely to create new U2 fans of people in this age group. A song like SYCMOYO is unlike anything playing on the radio and should attract an audience with an appreciation for good music.And that's not to say that Vertigo isnt, but "Sometimes" is more in line with what the album is really about.

Needle_Chill said:
Just to confirm, we're talking United States as a single country, not as North America as a whole right? I hate when people refer to North America as just America, and then that turns into the United States of America...:mad:

I just want to know if Canada will be getting SYCMIOYO as a part of the 'rest of the world'...

No one said North America. I have been specific in saying the US.

Also, Europe is more receptive to the ballad-esque song. Personally, I would have preferred ABOY, but I guess if you look at it in terms of sales and marketing, SYCMIOYO would do better. I can't speak for Asia and Australasia - I don't know what the music is like in those continents.

salim117 said:

I like looking around non-U2 fan music websites and have read alot of "kids" bitching something to the tune of 'Vertigo is good but, apart from one or two other tracks, the rest of the album is adult contemporary crap. Point is, they are mistakenly targeting an audience with an album that apart from ABOY & Vertigo, is unlikely to win over the MTV crowd.
They should be going after the 21-30ish listener. This album is more likely to create new U2 fans of people in this age group. A song like SYCMOYO is unlike anything playing on the radio and should attract an audience with an appreciation for good music.And that's not to say that Vertigo isnt, but "Sometimes" is more in line with what the album is really about.

You make it sound like "Sometimes" isn't an option any more.

U2 are simply releasing ABoY in the U.S. as the second single. I'm sure this is due to two reasons: to mix things up a bit and probably marketing. I'm sure discussions with radio stations led to the decision of releasing ABoY here as the second single.

However, I'm positive "Sometimes..." will then be the third single in the U.S. This is just like AB. "The Fly" was released, followed by another rocker, "Mysterious Ways". But before anyone thought AB was all rocking songs, along came "One". Analogously, "Sometimes" will come out after ABoY, probably on radio around the same time the tour starts (although the CD single might not come out until April). But this slower song will then show another side of U2. Young kids will still be interested, but older fans will now recall the U2 they loved.

In other words, I think it's a good strategy - showcasing both sides of U2 to the U.S. Since the rest of the world is fortunately far more savvy than the U.S., such nonsense isn't needed.

I agree with salim117, kakvox and Zoocoustic.

It is unfortunate that the corporate powers that be that control the marketing of U2's music has decided to underplay the scope of the U.S. audience.

Personally, it sets a bad precedent - like the only thing that they have on their minds is how to make the most money off of U2 and they have decided that in the U.S. a song with the emotional depth of SYCMIOYO can't succeed as well as ABOY!

I THINK THAT THEY ARE WRONG AND WILL REGRET THEIR DECISION.

Mind you, I am not criticizing U2 - I am criticizing those who make their corporate decisions for them.

Thanks for this thread.:up:

I'd read, in several places, that the reason ABOY was being released now in the US is because of the play it was getting. That is, many radio stations in the US (modern rock, alternative, college,etc) were unexpectedly giving the song a lot of play right after the album's release. So, as they say, strike while the iron is hot. I guess they decided to put it out while a buzz was developing.

Zoocoustic said:

Just my thoughts...

I disagree.....I don't think you're understanding the 'young' audience. 'Young' audiences in the U.S. are into hip hop and teen pop right now(Check Billboard.com and see whats selling). If U2 were really catering to the 'young' crowd, they would have released "A man and a woman" cause its so disgustingly 'poppy' . All Because of you sounds very 60's rock so with an aging fan base I would think that ABOY is a much more accesible than lets say SYCMIOYO which is very 90's Achtung Baby or 2000 ATYCLB.

By the way...why must a rock song automatically be said to attract the "young" audience? Does that mean because I'm not "young" it won't appeal to me? In actuality Vertigo and ABOY has appealed to more people over 30 than you'd think. Its like adults everywhere are going "FINALLY some actual ROCK on the crappy radio stations!"

salim117 said:
but "Sometimes" is more in line with what the album is really about.

I think that's far from true. NOTHING on the album sounds as musically generic or Adult Contemporary as Sometimes (at least AMAAW has some spanish flavor). While it's a great song, I wouldn't exactly say it represents the rest of the tracks better than ABOY. There's some big guitar work on Miracle Drug, Crumbs, and LPOE. If you wanted to release a single that truly describes the album, I think MD is probably the closest. Upbeat but a bit mid-tempo, slow beginning, soaring chorus, great solo.

Of course, I hate when bands release the first and second songs on the album as the first and second single, but whatever.

laz

salim117 said:
I like looking around non-U2 fan music websites and have read alot of "kids" bitching something to the tune of 'Vertigo is good but, apart from one or two other tracks, the rest of the album is adult contemporary crap.

Really? Heh, every kid I've talked to on non-U2 boards and stuff that has the album has said that they think the whole album's great. I've met quite a few younger U2 fans in recent weeks online.

Angela

From Adam Clayton's interview with U2.com:

//U2.com
Why a different second single in North America (‘All Because of You’) from the rest of world (‘Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own.’) ?

//Adam
It’s really because US radio works differently, it is so diversified. And within the various formats, the record company wasn’t sure that there would be support for ‘Sometimes…’ at this stage. They wanted to go with ‘All Because, of You’ because they wanted another up tempo, rock tune to really kick the record home

That reasoning doesnt make any sense to me because if One wasnt realeased as a single in the US it would have only sold about half of what it did.

one was the 3nd single behind mysterious ways and The Fly as the first in 91

ABOY is a dope track.. I think everyone should be happy this jam is gonna be on the radio...I hoped it would.
I already heard city of blinding light lights here in T.O

tha whole album is ill..
let it be

ABOY do it up!

Needle_Chill said:

Well, I seriously doubt if ANY singles will be released in the US. ABOY will be the North American single, meaning it will be officially released in Canada.

Universal Canada's official website now lists a February 8 release date for ABOY.

http://umusic.ca/site/web/newreleases/index.php

Nothing like buying Canadian singles for $3-4 when they first come out. HMV is good for something I guess.

I think SYCMOYO should be released in the U.S.It's a great ballad type of song.To me the song is a meningful song and has some sentament to it.They are true rockers.

As for what those "kids" think.All these little wannabe punk bands are just nothing but boy bands they gave insturments to play and told them to wear skate clothes or just plain black.U2 is a true band.They been around half my life and I will never stop listening to them.
ROCK ON BOYS!
JUST PLAY "SOMETIMES" IN THE U.S.!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom